The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 35mm AF or 45mm D for interiors/realestate

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
36x48mm sensor with 70mm image circles will give you 7.5mm or 6mm rise/fall or shift depending on the sensor orientation. With a 60mm image circle there would be no rise/fall or shifts available. 90mm gets you 23/20mm.

With 33x44mm the 60mm image circle will support 3/3.9mm and 70mm would be 10.7/8.8mm.

On a DM22 the 24XL is crop equivalent to 17mm, 35XL is 25mm.

From Alpa tables, 35xl will give you 23/20mm rise fall with both 33x44 & 36x48.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to correct myself I was thinking the DM22 was the same size as the P40 which that is wrong it's the same as the P25 which is bigger. Next best choice to stay in same price range is the 35 XL which has a bigger image circle.

Aryan Aqajani

Thank you so much guys :)

I checked 35 XL specifications and it seems it has 90mm image circle! 24 XL and 28 L both have 60mm image circle! So, the widest I can go even on a tech camera would be 25mm in 35mm format with DM22 if I want to have full rise/fall control! :( That makes me think if the value of a tech camera would just be getting higher image quality and corner sharpness with less distortion, does it really worth it!? Would 35 XL + DM22 back be suitable enough to cover most interiors with full rise and fall or I may have to do stitchings sometimes as well!

I am asking such questions because I have very little experience with architecture/interiors photography so a bit worried that a 35 XL would not be wide enough for interiors forcing me to upgrade my back later one :banghead:

Thank you again,

Guy Mancuso

Well you can stitch too and I had the 35xl lens and it will smoke anything in that range outside a roadie 32 hr at a cost of over 8 thousand dollars. The mamiya 35d just will not hold a candle to it. To me this is a no brainer I would get the tech cam. The movements are worth every dime you put into it. I'm a little bit of a purist though and want everything in my capture instead of doing a lot of photoshop correction work.

There is a a Cambo WRS and 35 XL for sale in the B&S too from Tim. He resides in England

Aryan Aqajani

Guy, thanks again. I have not heard of B&S before, googled it but no luck! Can you please send me the link to that page!?

Aryan Aqajani

Guy, I know you have purchased Nikon D800 for some specific works and never going to give up you Cambo! Although I have no plan to go back to DSLR world again, just trying to compare it with a tech camera! Apart from image quality and not so good Nikon 24mm tilt/shift lens, how do you compare a Cambo setup with 35 XL and D800!? The only thing that I like about D800 is 5:7 ratio crop!

Guy Mancuso

I still love my Phase back overall it has nicer tonal range and a nice look to the files but Nikon sure did leap big time, it's a really nice file. The 35 XL at 25mm compared to the Nikon 24 1.4 I have which is damn good , the 35 XL is still the better lens with better corners. It's really getting close and I think most of have said its good enough for most applications. Certainly easier and less expensive system with still great value in IQ .

tmh

WRS-1068 adapter plate for the Cambo, uses the Mamiya RB filmback.
Sorry to highjack this thread, has anyone tried this adapter plate? I have a WRS with an H-fit digital back, I was looking at getting a film back from a Hassleblad H series camera, but of course with no electrical contacts the back wouldn’t know when to wind on.

It’d be great to have an adaptor plate with a film back of some sort in the camera bag with a roll of Velvia or Acros in it as a backup or just for fun.

I know it wasn’t advisable to use film lenses on a digital back, but what about a digital lens on film, is the focal plane going to be in exactly the same position and am I going to get weird colour shifts or CA?

From the pic on the Cambo website it seems they’re using a 6x8 back, so a 100mm image circle required to fill the frame… plus any shifts...

The adaptor plates for digital backs run to about $500. Wonder if this film back adaptor would cost less as the manufacturing precision and accuracy can be less for film?? Wishful thinking!