The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shocked my MF image quality

Paratom

Yesterday I posted that I purchased a Mamiya ZD (probably as a temporary solution until I have made a final decision which MF-system I should go)
Tonight I shot some meaningless images in my garden and some quick portraits of my daughter with either the D3+50/1.4 and the ZD+80/2.8

Some with tripod, some with flash (I just put the SB800 on the Mamiya in A mode).

I have to say that I am shocked at how much more detail, tonality and depth the ZD images show (on screen-pixel peeping - I havent done any prints).
Even my wife, who is not that interested in my photo-addiction just told me "sell the Nikon" (which of course I wont because there are many things the Nikon is great).

I dont know yet how big the difference would be in smaller prints where images from both (D3 or ZD) would be reduced in size though.

I have to say that I did not expect such a difference.
Now if I assume that the other brands digital backs are even better than the ZD - I expect that MF-digital will not just be an additional thing for few things but I will have to think to use it much more often than I initially thought I would.

This might also change my selection of a MF-system. Portability and speed will become a much more important factor than initially, since I really think I will want to use the MF much more often than I expected before trying it.

Just my first impressions. WOW. Needed to tell it somebody.

Regards, Thomas

robmac

Nothing like a nice sharp lens and a large sensor without a $%^&* AA filter... You see the same IQ on a smaller scale in shots from the Leica M8 and DMR.

Glad the new purchase has impressed. As someone interested in going the MF route, would love to hear your impressions/thoughts as you move fwd.

Mozbee

Thanks for the insight!

Hum! I'm wondering if S2 might not be the answer to that kind of usage/expectation and the one for many other people? Feel/speed/convenience of 35mm with MF quality! Just thinking out loud!

If only Leica were a more "affordable" company! :LOL:

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Welcome to MFD :). Would have loved to have you on the Phase team; Shucks! :p

And yes, as they say, it only gets better from here. Don't forget that in the future you can rent/borrow a Phase Back (or any other mnfr) with mamiya/phase body and use your same lenses head to head with your ZD to see if the difference matters to you. Long exposure, high ISO, pushing/pulling shadow/highlight detail, shadow color fidelity, microdetail, diagonal lines, speed of shooting, field reliability, and flexibility of platforms, flexibility to shoot film as well (e.g. for infrared or cross processing), color fidelity under strongly cast lighting... all of it you could evaluate in person rather than in theory.

Or you could come to one of Guy and Jack's seminar and have the chance to shoot/evaluate all of the systems (most end up being represented by at least one shooter at the larger seminars). It's sort of like a club you just joined (MFD) and we all want to meet you!

Also check out Capture One 4.5 Pro (free trial on phaseone.com). It will process your ZD files as well. You would get great community support thereby because a lot of this forum uses C1.

All that said the ZD is great for what it is, an entry to MFDBs, and I wish you all the best of luck.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

Paratom

Nothing like a nice sharp lens and a large sensor without a $%^&* AA filter... You see the same IQ on a smaller scale in shots from the Leica M8 and DMR.

Glad the new purchase has impressed. As someone interested in going the MF route, would love to hear your impressions/thoughts as you move fwd.
Rob,
I also use an M8 (and had used DMR for some time) and have to say that even though the M8 has a weaker AA filter than the D3 and the difference can be seen in some images, the difference between the D3-images and the ZD is much bigger and much more obvious vs the difference between D3 and M8. (plus the M8 might exceed the D3 in detail but not in tonality IMO).

I agree that the S2 becomes much more iteresting for me after this initial impression. Plus my fear that the ZD purchase could be a mistake has gone.
I now dont have to hurry with my further decision. I might however need to get 1 or 2 (used) AF-Mamiya lenses.

Again, just first impressions.

robmac

Interesting observations re: the M8 and D3. I should also have added big fat 'pixels' to my criteria ;> Congrats again on the move - please keep us posted as you progress if you feel inclined.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Thomas,

Good to see you over here, hope all is going well.

I went through several of the same steps as you did in changing my equipment around. I was shooting with the M8 and D3 and was amazed at the usability of the D3 for fast focus and low light settings (I am/was also a fan of M8 files). But, whenever I printed a D3 file out in larger sizes, it seemed to invariably disappoint me (a certain mushiness and difficulty recovering shadows). Opening my first few medium format digital files was rather eye opening ... and the latitude of what you can do with those files was just as impressive.

Kurt

Paratom

Welcome to MFD :). Would have loved to have you on the Phase team; Shucks! :p

And yes, as they say, it only gets better from here. Don't forget that in the future you can rent/borrow a Phase Back (or any other mnfr) with mamiya/phase body and use your same lenses head to head with your ZD to see if the difference matters to you. Long exposure, high ISO, pushing/pulling shadow/highlight detail, shadow color fidelity, microdetail, diagonal lines, speed of shooting, field reliability, and flexibility of platforms, flexibility to shoot film as well (e.g. for infrared or cross processing), color fidelity under strongly cast lighting... all of it you could evaluate in person rather than in theory.

Or you could come to one of Guy and Jack's seminar and have the chance to shoot/evaluate all of the systems (most end up being represented by at least one shooter at the larger seminars). It's sort of like a club you just joined (MFD) and we all want to meet you!

Also check out Capture One 4.5 Pro (free trial on phaseone.com). It will process your ZD files as well. You would get great community support thereby because a lot of this forum uses C1.

All that said the ZD is great for what it is, an entry to MFDBs, and I wish you all the best of luck.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio
Hi Doug,
thanks for the welcome.
Since I live in Germany (and only come to the US once every 1 or 2 years for work) I can not attend any workshops over there - really would like to meet you guys one day.

Regarding C1pro from using it with the DMR and the M8- I really like the software (even though I sometimes struggle with the M8-profile regarding skin tones and therefore often also use ACR)- have to get used to the new user interface of C1 4.5

I kind of jumped on the ZD because I got it for about 1/3 price of a refurbished P25-set, but (with some limitations) it could be a better compromise than I initially thought.

I will now try to get the other medium format systems in my hands and see in what direction to go while exploring the ZD (who knows, maybe I will stay longer with it than I initially thought).

Regards, Tom

jdbfreeheel

Yesterday I posted that I purchased a Mamiya ZD (probably as a temporary solution until I have made a final decision which MF-system I should go)
Tonight I shot some meaningless images in my garden and some quick portraits of my daughter with either the D3+50/1.4 and the ZD+80/2.8

Some with tripod, some with flash (I just put the SB800 on the Mamiya in A mode).

I have to say that I am shocked at how much more detail, tonality and depth the ZD images show (on screen-pixel peeping - I havent done any prints).
Even my wife, who is not that interested in my photo-addiction just told me "sell the Nikon" (which of course I wont because there are many things the Nikon is great).

I dont know yet how big the difference would be in smaller prints where images from both (D3 or ZD) would be reduced in size though.

I have to say that I did not expect such a difference.
Now if I assume that the other brands digital backs are even better than the ZD - I expect that MF-digital will not just be an additional thing for few things but I will have to think to use it much more often than I initially thought I would.

This might also change my selection of a MF-system. Portability and speed will become a much more important factor than initially, since I really think I will want to use the MF much more often than I expected before trying it.

Just my first impressions. WOW. Needed to tell it somebody.

Regards, Thomas
Thomas,

Welcome to the club. I too am a happy owner of a ZD back; there is a small contingent of us out here. Certainly, it is not a P45+ or similar, but it is a great digital back with incredible detail and solid color reproduction. I bought it knowing what it wasn't, and despite some bashing from dissatisfied users (some here but mostly on the LL forums), it has produced great imagery for me, within it's restraints. I still use a Nikon D300 for tough shadow shots and high iso work and I will probably upgrade to a new DB at some point within the next year.

Use it a ton, enjoy, push it to its limits and share some of your work. Welcome.

Josh

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Welcome to the club Thomas. i started my venture with the ZD back and nothing to sneeze at the files are very very nice. It is a great entry point as long as you realize it's limitations . It is a little slow on review and such and limited to a max of ISO 200 but the files are as you have seen very nice. You can build a nice Mamiya system of lenses for it used that will surprise you on price. There not that bad until you get the D series lenses and your back in Leica land. LOL

I would recommend getting the 55mm AF right away , you will like this lens a lot and it is very cost effective, maybe 600 US tops used. Than you can go from there and build your system and when your ready to move up all you need is a Phase back. But these 22mpx 9 micron sensors are nothing to feel left out about, i have one myself and love it in the P25 plus.

Also C1 is supporting the ZD back so i think you may have the lens corrections in there but not sure. Doug can answer this for you. You also have a great resource of mamiya folks here , lean on them for help

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Congratulations! Your experience is quite like my own - a few years ago a VP for Phase One in the US loaned me a Contax with a Phase back for a day. The moment I saw the images on-screen, I was hooked. A year ago a Mamiya and a P45+ left me broke but very happy!

Good luck, enjoy the quality!

Bill

Paratom

This might be a stupid question but can anybody explain me why it is not possible to deliever a FF/35mm size sensor without AA filter?
Why is it not possible to make a sensor with lets say 10 or 12 MP, which delievers the same pixel quality as a MF sensor?
Often I might not even need 22MP, but I want the clear/sharp images and tonality.
I know the DMR might come close but why do Nikon/Canon and others do not do that?
Thanks for any feedback,
Tom

carstenw

A higher-up at Canon did an interview with dpreview, and made a comment which clearly indicated that Canon think that potential moiré is a far more serious problem than unavoidable mush. I sold my 5D.

Paratom

BTW Tom the ZD is a Aptus 22mpx sensor by Dalsa
So some (Leaf for example) claims how great dalsa sensors are, and the zd sensor has such a questionable reputation.
Are these jsut different sensors or is the sensor of the zd just 1 or 2 generations behind?

Guy Mancuso

So some (Leaf for example) claims how great dalsa sensors are, and the zd sensor has such a questionable reputation.
Are these jsut different sensors or is the sensor of the zd just 1 or 2 generations behind?
Tom it is a great question. First though when the integrated camera/body first came out there where early issues and i think a lot of bad press from that, than it went away on later models. Than the separate back came out and it was not such a issue. I think there was was some purple stuff going on, not really sure did not follow it much back than. Now as far as the sensor i guess there are some stories it was the second rate sensors that made it into the ZD, how much credence to that one I do question. A sensor is a sensor from the same build, not sure how much can really go wrong without having to trash it anyway. The sensor is said to come from leaf aptus 22 9 micron Dalsa sensor. Jack and I had ours at the same time and we did some tests on our backs and they seemed very good except the high ISO noise. Never saw any of the issues that some folks claimed. Someone here may have more of a full story on this than i can provide. But there is a nice niche of folks that have them and seem very happy with it. Hard not too it does produce some nice images. I moved up to Phase more for the speed and the higher ISO that the Phase backs provide. If i only did landscape type work at ISO 100 than I would have had it longer. But no matter it is a great entry point into MF at a reasonable cost and that is what counts more than anything you jumped into a different ball park.

I know your feeling very well when the first images came across your screen. Words like wow, damn, holy s..t all come to mind. LOL

Paratom

......Jack and I had ours at the same time and we did some tests on our backs and they seemed very good except the high ISO noise. Never saw any of the issues that some folks claimed.....
Yes, the guy who sold it to me told me that everything up to around 125 ISO was fine but better to not go higher.

Guy Mancuso

Tom do try ISO 200 it actually has a nice look to it in B&W, it looks very nice. Worth a test. Glad to see the seller was honest with you also. You have a lot of help around here just ask.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Thomas, and welcome to MF land. Love the title you gave this thread! I have been telling folks for a long time that just about any MF digital capture will blow away the best DSLR in terms of IQ, good to hear your experience is similar.

:thumbs: