The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Price drops for Phase one backs....

dick

There is nothing wrong with disliking a system a lens or anything like that but continued distaste for something just leads to your credibility factor and reputation. Something you should be aware of.
(I think I am fortunate in that) I have never seen a Phase camera, but, Guy, I think you would like to avoid the "credibility factor and reputation" of Luminous Landscape, where any criticism of Phase results in howls of protest, and criticisms of Hasselblad are ignored.

...and the best kit (IMO Sinar) hardly ever gets mentioned.

kdphotography

Don't hold me to the exact date of release, but I do believe the MFDBs involved here are about three years old in terms technology and when Phase One first offered them, and they were well-received. Three years old. I really don't see what the big deal is here----a price reduction on three year old technology is totally normal, and it's not the first reduction either. Of course, for those of us with many years of experience with medium format digital, it's easy to see and understand these price cycles. But then again, you'd think common sense could prevail on occasion. (Think brand new car sold in the following product year = discount from msrp. Duh.)

And no one knows these new price cycles and product releases like Guy... :ROTFL: (Sorry couldn't help myself, Guy. So, when's the next twelve-step meeting? See you there...)

And from a portrait photographer who has shot with medium format digital backs for about ten years, I do find that positing a rather limited or micro experience opinion in medium format digital to be a hasty generalization and misleading to then paint the entire format or industry with a broad negative brush. It's unfair. It's deceptive. I don't find it helpful in the least. It doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling that I used to have when I described the "GetDPI family." Part of what made GetDPI so valuable as a resource is drawing from the actual personal experience of those who really own and use the equipment extensively, with an intimate knowledge of the benefits, negatives, quirks, and workarounds. If I wanted anecdoctal comments from a Google search, I can do that myself.

For someone who has so publicly bid farewell to medium format digital on GetDPI, I find it rather ironic that Fred still seems to be so entrenched in medium format digital, or is Dante's pull so strong that he's just looking for a good deal? :ROTFL:

Hell, if I bid farewell to a camera system (or indeed the entire medium format digital industry) and I received an email from a dealer, I call that junk mail or spam, and I hit the delete button and that's the end of it. No need to post about it on the forum in hopes of uncovering some vast Phase One or Hasselblad conspiracy theory.

Of course, just my .02. ;)

johnnygoesdigital

Hi Steven,

I believe Fred's "animus" is based on his experience with MFD, and his discussions are warranted. When I first posted my comments about MFD, I was trounced on for my opinions, and told I was "leap frogging" or eccentric, but no one respected or listened to my actual experience with the camera. So yes, you are correct associating names with topics, as indicative of what the comment will be, but maybe, just maybe, if MFDSLR, was actually worth what you pay, then these discussions would have a different tone. I bet that someday, if you purchase a MFDB, they'll throw in the DF for free, it's the least they could do:)

Comparing an Alpa to a 645D, is really determined on what's behind the Alpa, and the use of LF lenses on the Alpa changes that too. Besides with the Alpa, I can also shoot film!
I understand your point though, but this is a forum. Thanks.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well I don´t have any problems with Phase One, but isn´t it interesting how "allergic" some people react if there is anything said that shows that even in Danmark people are just normal humans and probably react to the Hasselblad price cut. So what is so tempting on this ?
Stefan,

If you scream in someone's ear, do you really have to ask "why are they so sensitive and defensive?"

--Matt

dick

Don't hold me to the exact date of release, but I do believe the MFDBs involved here are about three years old in terms technology
In general I am now pleased with my Hasselblad, but generally a new Hasselblad has to be about three years old before you get the software etc. to fulfil the originally promised specification... but I think that is "normal" for MFD?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
(I think I am fortunate in that) I have never seen a Phase camera, but, Guy, I think you would like to avoid the "credibility factor and reputation" of Luminous Landscape, where any criticism of Phase results in howls of protest, and criticisms of Hasselblad are ignored.

...and the best kit (IMO Sinar) hardly ever gets mentioned.
I can't speak for other forums but sure that stuff is always around. I don't post there on a regular basis but I did the other day. Every systems has a piece or several parts of it that are less than stellar. I know I have been not as happy with Phase on the DF it works but certainly could be better. Hassy,Leica all have issues as well. Pentax too

Sinar here in the states never had enough users and the total support of the system here as it did in Europe. I was not fond of the Hy6 myself but a lot do. I just don't get into beating systems up I don't own.

Guy Mancuso

So let's move on to the topic at hand shall we. Like Hassy , Phase does have a 3 year product line that it wants to move out and for both companies this is very normal. I think it's a good time for those wanting to get in now to look at some of these deals. I know from experience the P40 is a wonderful back with nice sensor, same with some of the Hassy offerings. As Photokinia comes closer I'm sure new product will emerge. Like car companies they will discount last years model.

I think what we are all hoping for regardless of your brand is they all adress some of the issues we talk about. Sort of like firmware we all want to see that improve functionality and lets face it all these backs produce great IQ that is not really the issue but more functional topics in each system is usually our issues. Hell these sensors are great but sure we would all love higher ISO , faster speed, wireless capture etc. Let's hope we see some of this. I would love a body with no mirror , no shutter and reduce weight and size. Longer exposure backs that can perform like the P45 and hell even just give us 30 minutes.

Guy Mancuso

Maybe we will see something here at Photokinia with long exposure back. Solve a lot shooters issues.

Steve Hendrix

? Done a good job of pushing entry level pricing to more reasonable levels?????

If anyone has it's Pentax.

Pentax 645D plus 55mm 2.8 $11,190. 40MP 44x33 sensor and the best MF body.

Phase one equivalent p40+ plus DF body (not sure if that includes the lens) $ 16,990 same MP, not so nice bokeh and a crappy body.

Hasselblad H4D 40MP $ 16,995 better body, nicer lenses (better bokeh), prism not so good, way better auto focus.

Just to clarify what I say here - Fred - if you read my post, you'll see that I wrote "Medium format has done a good job of pushing entry level pricing to more reasonable levels"...

That includes Pentax, and at times Phase One (before the P20+/21+/25+ were discontinued) as well as Leaf (Aptus-II 22, 28, etc...), and Hasselblad (H3D-II 31). The point was the pricing, not the subjective merits of the products.

Steve Hendrix

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One other point re MF backs, and for Phase and Leaf specifically: The majority of their back sales are to military, scientific and industrial customers, so I suspect accommodating our wishes for pricing and possibly even features is a relatively low priority for them.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If I have a regret for selling anything in MF, this was it...
Ditto my P25+.

30s - 1 or 2 mins doesn't really cut it if you have any interest in long exposure landscapes or nightscapes. I just bought a D800 pretty much solely for these purposes but really I want something to put on Alpa. Sigh ... now I'm hunting around to replace the P25+ again but without breaking the bank.

Guy Mancuso

Im a medium format shooter may I ask a question. What is a bank???

Its funny I am sitting here revising my gear list for my insurance company. I just told my son to get the damn gun out of the house and go throw it in the desert. LOL

Scary thing is i have not got to the Phase gear YET. ROTFLMAO

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just bought a D800 pretty much solely for these purposes but really I want something to put on Alpa. Sigh ...
Graham,

Have you seen the Cambo X2 yet? Cambo - X2-PRO System

It does not mount on your Alpa, but it maybe can replace it for many things... Note too that it can accommodate Hassy CF/V lenses, Mamiya 645 and RB/RZ lenses, as well as all of the current Schneider and Rodie Tech lenses, and then allow you to attach your Nikon or even DF to the back ;).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham,

Have you seen the Cambo X2 yet? Cambo - X2-PRO System

It does not mount on your Alpa, but it maybe can replace it for many things... Note too that it can accommodate Hassy CF/V lenses, Mamiya 645 and RB/RZ lenses, as well as all of the current Schneider and Rodie Tech lenses, and then allow you to attach your Nikon or even DF to the back ;).
Unfortunately the concept of high quality wide angle lenses doesn't apply to that ...