The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Price drops for Phase one backs....

FredBGG

Not Available
I just received an email from a dealer that there are significant price drops for some Phase one backs:

P40+ DB $12,990.00*
P40+ DF Kit $16,990.00*

P65+ Pre-Owned $19,990.00*

Backs come with a 1 year Classic Warranty
All mounts Available
Pricing good through June 29th, 2012

* Each back purchase also receives a $350 voucher for additional accessories and a 1 year free subscription to
(DF Studio)
Calumet was listing the P40+ DF Kit for $20,990.00

So oif that's right it's a 23.5 % discount... similar to Hasselblad's recent discount.

stephengilbert

At the risk of starting a 20 post discussion of math, it would appear that the discount is 19.1%. $4000 (the price drop) divided by 20,990 (the former price).

Not that this matters a great deal, but you'd think there have been enough of the sky is falling threads. I guess not.

Steve Hendrix

So oif that's right it's a 23.5 % discount... similar to Hasselblad's recent discount.
Note - this is limited only to the P40+ and P65+, not the entire lineup. It makes sense, since the entry level sensors have gradually reached end of life (Kodak 16MP, 18MP, 22MP, and - as of today - Dalsa 28MP). Medium format has done a good job of pushing entry level pricing to more reasonable levels, this move serves to reinforce that despite the extinction of some of the previous entry level sensors.

Steve Hendrix

FredBGG

Not Available
At the risk of starting a 20 post discussion of math, it would appear that the discount is 19.1%. $4000 (the price drop) divided by 20,990 (the former price).

Not that this matters a great deal, but you'd think there have been enough of the sky is falling threads. I guess not.
It's been a long time since I was in high school... my math is getting a bit rusty.

FredBGG

Not Available
Medium format has done a good job of pushing entry level pricing to more reasonable levels, this move serves to reinforce that despite the extinction of some of the previous entry level sensors.

Steve Hendrix
? Done a good job of pushing entry level pricing to more reasonable levels?????

If anyone has it's Pentax.

Pentax 645D plus 55mm 2.8 $11,190. 40MP 44x33 sensor and the best MF body.

Phase one equivalent p40+ plus DF body (not sure if that includes the lens) $ 16,990 same MP, not so nice bokeh and a crappy body.

Hasselblad H4D 40MP $ 16,995 better body, nicer lenses (better bokeh), prism not so good, way better auto focus.

Don Libby

Fred you’ve more than adequately displayed your intense dislike towards anything to do with Phase One. Don’t you think it time to stop with the negative attacks and begin contributing with what this site was originally set up to do?

It’s getting old. Too bad we don’t have an ignore button – but then again we never really had the need for one.

yaya

Fred I think it is fair to ask that you add a big, bold IMO at the beginning/ end of every statement;

"The best MF body"? Perhaps, if you don't want/need more than 44x33mm 40MP and a WLF or modern lenses

"Not so nice bokeh"? This is lens specific, nothing to do with back/ body

"Prism not so good"? Compared to Pentax?

"Way better auto focus"? Compared to Pentax?

BR

Yair

goesbang

Fred I think it is fair to ask that you add a big, bold IMO at the beginning/ end of every statement;

"The best MF body"? Perhaps, if you don't want/need more than 44x33mm 40MP and a WLF or modern lenses

"Not so nice bokeh"? This is lens specific, nothing to do with back/ body

"Prism not so good"? Compared to Pentax?

"Way better auto focus"? Compared to Pentax?

BR

Yair
+1

fotografz

How many photographers are needed to have an argument?

V
V
V
V

One.

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

:) Marc :)

Last edited:

Stefan Steib

Well I don´t have any problems with Phase One, but isn´t it interesting how "allergic" some people react if there is anything said that shows that even in Danmark people are just normal humans and probably react to the Hasselblad price cut. So what is so tempting on this ?
And yes: the Pentax 645 has brought prices down. Definitely.
I have talked to the german Dealers just recently during the Canon and PCP tour and I can tell you this is true.
And about the quality of the Pentax body and lenses - I don´t think they are worse than any other products.The idea to connect the back and the body prevents several problems that exist with mounts shimming, calibration etc.pp. I know several Photographers who make gorgeous images with it and love this camera.

so ? why the uproar ?

Regards
Stefan

fotografz

Well I don´t have any problems with Phase One, but isn´t it interesting how "allergic" some people react if there is anything said that shows that even in Danmark people are just normal humans and probably react to the Hasselblad price cut. So what is so tempting on this ?
And yes: the Pentax 645 has brought prices down. Definitely.
I have talked to the german Dealers just recently during the Canon and PCP tour and I can tell you this is true.
And about the quality of the Pentax body and lenses - I don´t think they are worse than any other products.The idea to connect the back and the body prevents several problems that exist with mounts shimming, calibration etc.pp. I know several Photographers who make gorgeous images with it and love this camera.

so ? why the uproar ?

Regards
Stefan
Yes, why the uproar?

This is a Photokina year ... and it is June. Discounts on older tech is normal because perceptually, some technology will be one more generation older in just a few months. It's all part of the Lemming culture that drives digital photography.

IMO, anecdotal information doesn't warrant definitive words like "definitely" ... whether the Pentax 645 affected pricing is pure speculation even from dealer sources. How the MFD companies structure their pricing is beyond the scope of our understanding ... and as far as I've noticed, it is business as usual ... it's all a "Tempest in a teapot".

BTW, integrated bodies also need to be calibrated.

We can speculate endlessly, creating a nail biting atmosphere that drives the whole marketing scheme of digital photography. Hasselblad has dropped all of their prices ... which could be a reaction to the market conditions, OR ... it means new technology come Photokina, which is about due given the age of the platform and the amount of tweaks made to it over the years.

Nothing would surprise me. However, how people react to it is always surprising. :)

-Marc

JorisV

Phase one equivalent p40+ plus DF body (not sure if that includes the lens) $ 16,990 same MP, not so nice bokeh and a crappy body.

Hasselblad H4D 40MP $ 16,995 better body, nicer lenses (better bokeh), prism not so good, way better auto focus.
Fred,

I am also interested in knowing why the H4D prism is not so good, it is obviously not a WLF or a loupe but as a prism it works very well in my opinion.

I do agree with you on the pricing structure of both Phase One and Hasselblad. As also Canon and Sony most likely will move into the 30+MP resolution space the current prices of Hasselblad and Phase One become increasingly unrealistic. You can charge 2 or 3 times as much for a perceived quality difference but 5 or 6 times is a lot in my humble opinion.

Joris.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Fred general comments like this are very misleading . Your not being specific . Phase has many lenses for instance . I shoot this system myself and several of there lenses have some of the best bokeh around. So these are very unfair comments about product line you have not fully explored. To me this is bad data and nothing bothers me more than bad data it helps no one and honestly not in the spirit of this forum.

There is nothing wrong with disliking a system a lens or anything like that but continued distaste for something just leads to your credibility factor and reputation. Something you should be aware of.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW the p40 comes with body and 80mm LS lens for 16,990. Which given this sensor I shot myself for about 3 years is a nice entry or upgrade into MF. I actually currently am shooting this exact size and sensor again in the IQ 140 which lists for over 21k for just the back. For folks that are looking for some lenses that have nice bokeh I suggest the 110LS lens and the 150 2.8 D lens for starters. The 300 4.5 is also a very nice bokeh lens. There are more but for portraits these are the most common.

johnnygoesdigital

Don Libby,

A forum is where ideas and views on particular issues can be exchanged. Fred's opinion is valued because of his experience. You as a landscape photographer, and Fred as a model/portrait shooter, offer useful input that we all appreciate, but as shutter cycles in in a fashion/portrait shoot can easily go over 1000 in a day - I find those scenarios to be more suggestive of a cameras performance and reliability. If Fred's experience is not one that you can relate to, then I suggest you respect his right to make comments...

MFD has lost market share, and because of cameras like the Pentax 645D (amazing camera!) and the D800, the window is smaller to achieve professional results at a fraction of the cost. So now, we should be grateful, that for the price of a new, really nice car, we can get a new, mediocre performing MFD camera, with no weather sealing or high ISO, or multiple AF points because it's Photokina? Here's where I insert my smiley face to make my point...:ROTFL:

stephengilbert

Johnny,

I think Don's point is that to some it might appear that Fred is :deadhorse:

There sometimes appear to be posts that are based on some animus rather that a desire to discuss photos or photographic equipment. When it gets to the point that the combination of a poster's name and a given subject tells me in advance what he is going to say, it does get a bit old.

In addition, as other threads have shown, not everyone needs or wants the exact same feature set. Does the absence of multiple focus points and weather sealing make the Pentax better than the ALPA?

Steve