The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya, Pentax 645 to 4x5 adapter

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I have had a few clients purchase widepan adapters for their graflock 4x5's.
Haven't heard any complaints.

Lance

FredBGG

Not Available
One problem with this type of adapter used on the back of a 4x5 is that the
throat in front of the sensor becomes quite deep limiting the amount of lens movements you can use before you get vignetting from the adapter and mirror box of the body getting in the way.

It's better to use a system that replaces the rear standard of the 4x5 camera.

They can work but a right royal PITA to be honest. You can only use with lenses with a flange length longer than the camera lens box + distance of the adapter + min extension of your camera. Maybe with a mamiya you need less stitches, so better than the small format ones I tried

The price has dropped a lot though.

yaya

If you have a Mamiya with a digital back then it would be better to fit the back directly onto your 4x5, wither with a Graflok adapter or a sliding back. This is providing that you have Copal-type shutters so that you don't need to body's focal plane shutter

I've made a DIY adapter one for testing the 645DF on the back of a microscope (x60 lenses with no shutters). I used a Graflok plate and a plastic body cap, worked fine...

BR, Yair

Ben Rubinstein

I had the camerafusion adaptor for my canon for use with LF. The mirror box shading is a serious problem. The results were incredible but forget trying to use it without proper LV for focusing and so you can see the shading problems and work round them.

tsjanik

Thank you all for the replies. I might try the adapter on an old Toyo with a 150mm Rodenstock just to have tilt. Shashin: I spend too much time on the internet as it is.:D

Tom