The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS L-Plate for Mamiya/Phase 645s

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have one. I need to take some shots of it to post . really nice fit folks. I had it since Florida. Dale has one also

Don Libby

I've been using a Kirk L bracket that I got second hand. Fits great - I think the only difference is the little slot for a hand strap on the RRS.

don

barry685

Guy,
Can you verify if the RRS L plate covers the Electromagnetic cable release socket on the side of the camera and makes it unaccesible?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Barry:

I ended up buying the RRS plate myself because it has a hand-strap lug. Anyway, it clears the electro release port easily.

barry685

Hi Jack,
I thought you told me when we spoke that only the Kirk bracket would allow use of the cable release socket on a Afd II?

Paul2660

RRS bracket works fine on the AFDII or III or phase one body. No blockage of
the remote release port. I feel that the RRS L bracket gives better access to the port.

Paul C

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jack,
I thought you told me when we spoke that only the Kirk bracket would allow use of the cable release socket on a Afd II?
It does -- they both do -- just that with the Kirk bracket, the cable fits THROUGH a slot in the vertical dovetail foot, and with the RRS it clears outside the foot. :)

Dale Allyn

As Guy mentioned, I also have the RRS L bracket and like it very much. At first blush it looks as if it might make access to the lens release difficult, but access is fine. I had to change my approach to it a bit to access it, but now it's second nature.

kdphotography

From the RRS photos on their site----it looks like you do indeed have better access to the remote release socket than the Kirk bracket. But it also looks like a trade off, in that the RRS bracket seems to at least partially block the lens release button....

I've got the Kirk Bracket like Don. Hey, what'd you expect from brothers...
:D

J

jmvdigital

I've got an RRS L-plate coming today in fact for my Phamiya. Where can one get the handstrap that apparently fits the bracket?

Dale Allyn

Some like the Hasselblad hand-strap available at B&H. It's a bit bulkier, but I plan to include it (finally) in my next order. The Canon hand-strap is smaller, but if you use it as an event shooter it may feel a bit light. Camdapter makes one too.

Here's the Hasselblad strap at B&H which I believe that Guy has moved to and I will order next week.

Here's the Canon strap.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Okay I have the strap also. Going to shoot the whole deal now. LOL

The Hassy strap is very nice. Thanks Ray for the heads up on it

Guy Mancuso

Sorry for the delay my dog got in the garbage can and had a field day in the house. So seems like that is my new roll in life cleaning up others bloody messes. Oh what joy

Guilty face or what. Oly 520 with 50 macro