The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya RZ67 75mm f/3.5 M L with Pro IID

Aryan Aqajani

I am tossing up between getting a digital back adapter for my RZ67 Pro IID and dumping the 645 AFD III body as I am going to get a tech camera for interiors/architecture work!

I will keep shooting film with RZ however, looking to find a lens to replace 110mm f/2.8 as a standard lens (around 50-55mm focal length in 35mm format) when used with DB! After doing a bit research, it seems that 75mm f/3.5 M L with floating system gives me the same focal length with a 36x48mm crop lens! The only issue is that I am not sure if the floating system still works when used digitally!?

Another important factor for me is weight! a standard lens for shooting digital which is less than 1000 grams as I love to shoot RZ handhold :wtf:

Thanks guys :)

Hi Aryan,
This is a curious lens actually because while it obviously exists, it doesn't exist in any RZ literature that I've seen! I think it must've been ported from the RB and then discontinued. I'm curious how it performs. The alternative is now the 65mm f4 L-A. This is a more technically "correct" normal for these DBs and is the lens I do have. Wickedly good and I love the focal length as it is an ever so slightly wider normal than we're used to (~47mm in 35mm terms). To answer your question, the floating system does work, even on digital, its your best bet to use it. You don't have to be terribly precise with people shots, but having it way off is clearly visible. It is a heavy lens, but with the camera and DB it doesn't feel much different than with the 110 (yup I handhold too all the time -- the neckstrap is your friend :) )

fotografz

Get the Mamiya Hand grip with strap for the RZ. It does wonders for steading hand held work while making it very easy to carry the big camera. It also places the shutter button in a convenient position.

Marc

Aryan Aqajani

Thanks guys for the reply! 65mm sounds quite good, may have to finally go for that!

I don't even use the neckstrap when I shoot handheld! In fact, be it on tripod or handheld, prefer not to use it! Also, I don't think the grip would suit me as well since I am getting used to shoot that way! Just watch one of Vincent Peter's videos to see what I mean!

Adriana Lima en Vogue - YouTube

I don't like the grip. I find it much easier and more comfortable to just handhold normally -- like in the video! The neckstrap, on the other hand, is a useful thing because its unlike a normal neckstrap as it clips on. Meaning you can attach or remove it in moments, depending on what you need; very useful!

Aryan Aqajani

Yeah, I see your point. I have the strap and as you mentioned, being able to attach and detach is very nice :)

I am really torn between shooting only film with RZ67 like what I do now or both film and digital depending on the job! Honestly, I don't know why I can't make a decision about it! I know, that sound weird to myself as well :LOL:

Aryan Aqajani

Paul, I am really in love with RZ67 and film! Really can't get more of it. My 645 AFD III is just sitting in the bag and only comes out for very special assignments! I was thinking of selling it and only keep the RZ since I have got a DB and get a tech camera for my architecture/interiors shoots!

Shashin

It would seem to make sense to be able to put your MFDB on your tech camera and RZ. You don't have to use it, but having the option would be good. Even if you just use the DB as a Polaroid to check lighting and so on with the RZ.

MaxKißler

You should probably consider the older 65mm f/4 W especially when you're shooting handhelt a lot. It is much more compact in design and therefore well suited for handholding as the camera doesn't get too lens heavy.

You don't need the floating elements because of the crop and I highly doubt that you will ever use them when shooting people/portraiture anyway. It really is a wonderful lens and in no way inferior to the 65mm L-A. At least not the one I own.

Aryan Aqajani

You should probably consider the older 65mm f/4 W especially when you're shooting handhelt a lot. It is much more compact in design and therefore well suited for handholding as the camera doesn't get too lens heavy.

You don't need the floating elements because of the crop and I highly doubt that you will ever use them when shooting people/portraiture anyway. It really is a wonderful lens and in no way inferior to the 65mm L-A. At least not the one I own.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I will check it out! Cheers :)