The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's an IQ180 worth?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just curious to hear from folk in different parts of the world... I am selling in the FS/WTB section a (just) still in warranty lightly used IQ180 and have dropped the price steadily over the past couple of weeks. There has to be a clearing price, but the market is so opaque that I just can't tell where it is. Any opinions?

vjbelle

Just like anything else in this world an item is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Only a ready and willing buyer will tell you what your back is worth. I think that the IQ180 is the only current series back to own and only for large printing. Good luck.....

Victor

torger

Sometimes it takes a while to find the right buyer, it may not be that the price is too high. Also, maybe many are waiting on possible price drops on new MF gear due to recent DSLR developments and are a bit afraid to act just now.

gerald.d

I think you'd struggle to sell one for over $30K anywhere. I was in the market for a digital back recently, and ended up buying a 180 off ebay from the US to be shipped to the UAE.

Shipping with insurance was around a grand. Import duty was 5% - I would guess for most places in the world, duty/taxes would be considerably more than that.

You have to take into consideration the total cost to your buyer.

This is also a very small market. I'd be amazed if private sales of 180's across the world number more than a handful a month. If you wanted to shift one quick, I reckon you'd have to put it out there to the lower end of the 20-25k range. USD, not GBP.

studio347

Off topic, but just curious. What's the main reason to sell IQ180?
May I ask your impression about the digital back regarding image quality?
If you can, ...especially compared with P65+?
Since I'm using P65+ with a tech camera and Hassel H2, I'm curious about IQ180...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the input all!

@Studio347, the reason I am selling is that I just have too much gear and now the D800e has joined the stable it is already covering some of the bases that the IQ had before. I have always utterly hated the Phamiya DF body anyway and my technical kit is a Cambo with SK 35XL which, on the IQ180 is limited to only very moderate movements.

Bottom line, it will gather dust. It is certainly better than the p65+ both in terms of resolution, image quality and useability. And I had the 65+ and the 45+ before that. But with the Nikon covering 95% of the SLR style bases and the SK 35 needing replacement with a very very expensive roddenstock for useful landscape work, I just feel like simplifying and hoping that the extra flexibility of the Nikon system will more than make up for the smaller percentage of the time when I feel I need MF.

Also, I am just fed up with running so many systems and having a camera cupboard that looks better stocked than my dealership. And I want now to focus on one system, get a range of the best glass, learn it all inside out and hope to benefit from that too. FWIW I just sold my M9 too...

gazwas

Tim, I think the issue with your IQ180 is that there are a few UK Phase dealers selling used or ex-demo units with longer warranty (4 years) for £18K + VAT (without haggling). If like myself and many other business purchasers you are exempt from VAT, your £20K is on the high side and pro's would just go straight to the dealer for piece of mind.

I know you could very probably find an amateur to buy your back who would obviously save money over going to a dealer and paying the listed price including VAT but I imagine the number of Am's with that much to spend is considerably smaller that pro's wanting to upgrade/jump in.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think this will depend on your patience too. Someone will buy it eventually for a good fair price but if your in a hurry for whatever reason than a deep discount will help sell it quicker. But if you need a number a really good price is about 32k US. Discounted for quick sale about 27k US. Really a matter of what your willing to accept. Some folks just want to walk away and take a loss, some will stick it out for the best price they can get. Honestly just a thought and opinion Tim and obviously you can ignore it. Go to your dealer drop down into a IQ 160 and get more tech cam functionality. I just did a test with my 140 and D800 and the tech cam resolution output with these Rodie's and Schneiders in the wides is unmatched. It's close but if you still want the best there is a tech cam is the best option. Heck you can even drop to a IQ 140 and still be ahead. I did and wide angle work it's the tech cam . I'm torn too but that's really the facts of it. Good luck.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks again Gareth and Guy.

I guess I am currently keen to divest of all the DF gear, body and glass, since in the studio I find the D800E so much more useable even without tethering, and because I don't need very often at all to make bigger than 40" prints.

I would quite like to keep a MFDB for landscape but the value of the 180 in comparison to the frequency of usage is silly, and also my current 35XL, a lens I love, is only good with no or tiny movements on the 180.

I guess aside from a sale (and if I do sell it'll be quick and at a knock-down price) I have two options:

1) a forum member has offered a mint Aptus 12 plus cash for the 180. This might make it viable to go from the 35XL to the Roddie 32 and keep the same pixel count. I'm just not aware of how these Leaf backs do with LCC and so on.
2) get a downgrade to a 160 or 140 and carry on with the 35XL.

More questions than answers as usual!

monza

After marketing one on ebay for the past 3-4 weeks and talking to many potential buyers worldwide, the going rate for a warranted IQ180 is about $25k USD. A dealer would probably get more, but the same back sold to a dealer for resale or consigned at a dealer, would be less. I just sold one for $24,900, payment terms were cash, this nets to $24,700 after ebay fee. Hope this helps.

Paul2660

As a former P45+ user, who moved to the 160 but has also shot the 180, I found the difference (besides resolution) between the 160 and 180 for my work very very nominal. The DR difference between the 160 and P45+ is a huge step at least IMO. You can also verify this with the Dxomark results. Look at the P65+ at 89 and the 180 at 91. Not that great a gap. I am sure if you look hard enough you can find it, but for me the gap in DR wasn't worth the gap in price and I knew the 180 would be very picky with the tech camera lenses. One thing I have become a believer in is Dxomark scores. Especially with DR.

I agree with Guy, if you want tech camera movements, then do consider a step down to the 160. You will easily get 10mm with your 35XL and maybe 12mm depending on the subject. With the 43XL, you can that that to 17mm and with the 60XL 30mm.

I agree the 180 is the best in possible resolution, but when there are only a couple of pieces of glass that get you there (when shooting wide) that both cost over 10K U.S., I took the lesser route.

Before you get rid of the 180, take up Guy's suggestion with a dealer and see if you can trade down to a 160. There are deals to be made right now for sure. But I can also fully understand your needs to scale back ;) I am feeling that too and working along the same process with 12 years of Canon lenses and bodies.

Even with the D800, I still like the look/feel of the 160/tech camera output and try to lead with it for most of my work.

Paul

mesposito

Just curious to hear from folk in different parts of the world... I am selling in the FS/WTB section a (just) still in warranty lightly used IQ180 and have dropped the price steadily over the past couple of weeks. There has to be a clearing price, but the market is so opaque that I just can't tell where it is. Any opinions?
Don't take this wrong. I'm no internet basher, and it's a tricky situation. I'm replying somewhat in confusion after reading all of the D800 vs IQ180 stuff.

I would definitely not expect to sell it on GetDPI after the threads (that you have also participated in) telling everyone that you can get the same (or near) quality from a $5000 Nikon D800 setup as you get from a $50000 Phase. Who in the world would buy an IQ180 during that conversation?

I would try to sell in a place where this discussion isn't going on yet. (eBay?) If this story passes and many realize that what they really want is top quality in resolution and color rendition (me) then the prices should stabilize. If everyone buys into the talk that there is virtually no difference, then I guess the IQ180 is worth around $5,000.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just did this test yesterday the 140 with SK 28 and D800 with 24mm lens . The IQ 140 still wins the day in terms of IQ. No real way of getting around it. This will come down to personal preference and what you want out of life. It is close but your going to have one heck of a time smoking one of the best lenses on the planet and the Rodies and Schneiders are just flat out unbeatable. Thats a given folks not sure what else to say about that. You want the absolute best glass on the planet than the tech cam lenses are it, I don't care what sensor you put behind it. The question of the day is do you want it or do you need to have it. As the buzzards are circling over your head. Yes the desert has many of them. ROTFLMAO

I agree its tough and if its financial choices that need to be made than its even tougher. I know I'm living it but don't get me wrong I like having the horsepower in the Nikon. Problem is I like them both for different things and reasons.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Tim

Photokina is not far from now and many guys who are willing and able to spend quite some money on new gear might want to wait and see what the photokina will bring .

mesposito

I just did this test yesterday the 140 with SK 28 and D800 with 24mm lens . The IQ 140 still wins the day in terms of IQ. No real way of getting around it.
Of course I agree, which is why I won't be selling my P65+ or Cambo anytime soon. Talk of virtual equality though is not going to help resale values in the short term. :D

FredBGG

Not Available
I think that one thing you could do is contact rental companies.
Plenty of them in London, Paris and Milan.
Rental companies would profit quite well renting a back at going rental prices if they can buy it cheaper from you.

The real problem with reselling the top of the line gear is that it is way over priced to start with due to the small market and the sales model that Phase chose to go with.

Another option would be to go back to your dealer and see if the dealer can work out a good deal for you buying other gear. IF you really want to expand your Nikon system that could be a way to go. If the dealer can make the profit on the new gear as well as some on re-selling the IQ180.

Another thing you could do is look into the scientific and industrial imaging market.
Start here:
AdvancedImagingPro.com | Advanced Imaging: The very latest in imaging products, industries and solutions

But one last thing....

It is still top of the line and if Phase One were to finally come out with a really good body
I think there would be renewed interest in the back. However that could be smothered if Canon were to come out with a high MP count and high DR camera. They certainly have the tilt shift lenses ready for a camera like that.

Can you still purchase extended warranty on this back? If so that might be a good move. make it more appealing to a buyer, even at a slightly higher cost.

mesposito

Can you still purchase extended warranty on this back? If so that might be a good move. make it more appealing to a buyer, even at a slightly higher cost.
That's a good point. For that much money warranty might make the difference. Private sale for that much would make me very nervous. Warranty would alleviate that.