The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

David Grover / Phase One

I would like to view the images on iPad after capture w/o the need of C1. I believe if Leaf can do it, then Phase should be able to do it, since Phase One owns Leaf now.
Leaf is not able to do that.
Can you please explain that? Do you mean Leaf took away that feature when they came up with high megapixel DB?

Please check this:.

By the way, to show the image on iPad, you really don't need to export the entire file to iPad. A lighter .jpeg with 72 dpi will do that job.

And just don't jump onto me again... I understand very well that at the moment Phase doesn't have any simultaneous JPEG capture like 35mm DLSRs. However when MFDB back is showing image preview, I'm confident that it is internally generating a preview file to display on the LCD.

Subrata

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Can you please explain that? Do you mean Leaf took away that feature when they came up with high megapixel DB?

Please check this:.

By the way, to show the image on iPad, you really don't need to export the entire file to iPad. A lighter .jpeg with 72 dpi will do that job.

And just don't jump onto me again... I understand very well that at the moment Phase doesn't have any simultaneous JPEG capture like 35mm DLSRs. However when MFDB back is showing image preview, I'm confident that it is internally generating a preview file to display on the LCD.

Subrata
From the Leaf link you posted:
"The App is free from the Apple store, and works in tandem with Leaf’s Capture server, which must be installed on your computer."

The Leaf capability also relies on tethering to a computer. The heavy-duty processing has to occur somewhere.

From the Leaf link you posted:
"The App is free from the Apple store, and works in tandem with Leaf’s Capture server, which must be installed on your computer."

The Leaf capability also relies on tethering to a computer. The heavy-duty processing has to occur somewhere.
Got it. I didn't notice "Leaf’s Capture Server" which was at the bottom. My bad!

However, since Phase DB is generating a preview for LCD, some processing is already happening. Question is how to save that smaller preview and transmitting to another device.

Another CF/SDHC card slot could be an option to save a smaller file (8x10 @ 72 dpi) and transfer that via Blue Tooth.

Subrata

Steve Hendrix

Hi Forum,

I have been pretty quiet over the past few weeks as I have been going through a career change!

Today I start with Phase One as their Business Support & Development Manager in the Software Department. I am working in a great new team who have made me feel very welcome today.

I have a lot of tasks ahead of me but ultimately we want you to have the best experience when using Capture One.

So, Ill still be around, just with a different name. ;)

I look forward to continued discussions with you all.

Cheers,

David

Congratulations on your new role, David. Phase One has added a significant resource to their team. Hopefully Hasselblad will follow suit and fill your spot with someone that brings the same astuteness to the table that you did.

Steve Hendrix

It would be great if Phase/Leaf could figure out how to take a "screen shot" of the file on the high res display and have the user select to send that to your iphone/ipad without tethering.

EsbenHR

Congratulations David.
Who's gonna keep Doug under control now?
:)
Ahh, my experience shows that will not really be possible ;-)

I already said as much in meat space, but David is not nearly as old as my mental vision had put him. It is great to actually meet people, and I think we have a lot of things to discuss.

For those in the forums, that means that bugging David is *NOW* is your fast-track to get your input to Phase ;-)

Welcome David!

EsbenHR

I understand very well that at the moment Phase doesn't have any simultaneous JPEG capture like 35mm DLSRs. However when MFDB back is showing image preview, I'm confident that it is internally generating a preview file to display on the LCD.

Subrata
Your confidence is unfounded...

Note that DSLRs achieve their blindingly fast RAW-to-JPEG processing using dedicated ASICs. Those of us whose day job is to look at images at 1600% still don't think that most out-of-camera JPEGs can match a good RAW processor.

Do we really want to develop dedicated hardware just to be "good enough"? Possibly, given a use case that is sufficiently compelling, but please understand that we do not normally peddle in "good enough".

(At least not until our hands are forced by shipping dates looming too close for comfort.)

We damn well try to do the best we can, screw the constraints! It must obviously run on actual hardware, but we are used to putting quality first and it would hurt to settle for less.

Your confidence is unfounded...

Note that DSLRs achieve their blindingly fast RAW-to-JPEG processing using dedicated ASICs. Those of us whose day job is to look at images at 1600% still don't think that most out-of-camera JPEGs can match a good RAW processor.

Do we really want to develop dedicated hardware just to be "good enough"? Possibly, given a use case that is sufficiently compelling, but please understand that we do not normally peddle in "good enough".

(At least not until our hands are forced by shipping dates looming too close for comfort.)

We damn well try to do the best we can, screw the constraints! It must obviously run on actual hardware, but we are used to putting quality first and it would hurt to settle for less.
Yes, I would prefer a "good enough" for preview, but not to hang 40" x 60" print on the wall. Any day, iPad will be a better preview device than back of the LCD.

Whether you want to develop it or not, that is a strategic decision of your Product Manager.

Subrata

Douglas Fairbank

Welcome back David, I can see that your position at Phase will be very similar to the one you held before. :talk028:

Regardless of what side of the fence you stand your knowledge and help is always appreciated. :thumbup:

So there can be no misunderstanding I may be a Hasselblad employee but I am not a spokesperson for the company within this forum.

Ahh, my experience shows that will not really be possible ;-)

I already said as much in meat space, but David is not nearly as old as my mental vision had put him. It is great to actually meet people, and I think we have a lot of things to discuss.

For those in the forums, that means that bugging David is *NOW* is your fast-track to get your input to Phase ;-)

Welcome David!
Nice to know my youthful appearance is still alive and well. Lol. Its all that expensive cosmetic surgery.. injections... chemical peels...

I certainly look forward to the input. Much of it, I am sure we all can agree on.

D

Interesting move, David. Phase is fortunate to have you.
Given your new role, I hope that you use your new "influence" to take a fresh look at a couple of issues I have with the raw conversion of my IQ 180 files. The first is that the architecture of Capture One is built around Sessions. I hate them and the way they force me to adapt my way of working with and organizing my files to the Sessions way of working with and organizing my files. Moreover, at this point Capture One is just really kludgey and non-intuitive compared to Lightroom and Aperture. I would be ok sticking with Lightroom for everything, but it does not appear that Phase One has made the same committment to Lightroom that Hasselblad has made, so that the file conversion quality out of Lightroom is "just as good" as Capture One is for IQ files. I know you are intimately familiar with what Hasselblad achieved for its files in Lightroom. I can attest that Lightroom does a great job now with Hasselblad files as I have used it for a number of my legacy files. If Phase does the same with Lightroom, it would be a huge thing for me and I believe many others who would prefer to use Lightroom.
Best regards.
Hi Howard and thanks for the comments.

My personal experience with Lightroom is that it has quite a fast pick-up time as Adobe are very good at walking you down the path they want you to take, workflow wise.

As a newcomer to Capture One I can see that there are a lot more powerful features and more scope to do things how you want to do them. However, it does take a bit more time to get your head round that, but then you are rewarded.

So ideally we want the best of both world's, flexible interface with the freedom to dictate your personal preferences, in an easy to understand way. Its a bit of a challenge but its not impossible.

As to sessions - I can see that these are not necessarily applicable to every kind of photography but have their own advantages as well. Lets see what we can do in the future.

D

EsbenHR

Yes, I would prefer a "good enough" for preview, but not to hang 40" x 60" print on the wall. Any day, iPad will be a better preview device than back of the LCD.
Sorry, I did not express myself clearly. I just wondered whether it would make sense to put resources into making the back produce reasonable JPEGs if we know they will be inferior to a "real" RAW converter.

Obviously it would be fine for previews. However, the same resources could also be used to produce better images instead. I don't think it is an obvious decision either way. It is certainly a challenging problem (and hence fun to work on), but I suspect we would be frustrated by the compromises we would have to do quality wise.

Thankfully, I am not a product manager :) I also think my coworkers appreciate that fact ;-)

Ben Rubinstein

Have to say, we love sessions. Each book we photograph is a seperate session and it makes organisation very very easy for tethered shooting. At first I didn't see the point coming from wedding photography but for tethering it is a very good solution. Honestly, not having sessions would be a royal pain in the neck for us.

You don't have to use sessions of course...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am another who finds sessions indispensable.
The feature conveniently allows an entire shoot to be natively organized and exportable by just copying the session files.
Now if there were a cross-session browser and cataloger that did not depend on a separate application (and a fragile one at that), well that would be an improvement.
Actually I use C1 it both ways, but usually in sessions.
The improvement would be a complete integration of a media browser/searcher with metatagging capability with the current stand-alone and session structure.
-bob

hcubell

Have to say, we love sessions. Each book we photograph is a seperate session and it makes organisation very very easy for tethered shooting. At first I didn't see the point coming from wedding photography but for tethering it is a very good solution. Honestly, not having sessions would be a royal pain in the neck for us.

You don't have to use sessions of course...
I do understand that there are a number of C1 users that find Sessions useful or even important to their workflow. My guess is that they shoot tethered. Fine, please use them. However, I know how I want to work and I don't want to have ANYTHING to do with Sessions. I organize all of my photographs by location and date. A separate folder for each set of files. When I download files off a card, the raw files go into a new or existing folder. I can navigate ok in C1 to a folder on my hard drives, but C1 keeps trying to force me to deal with Sessions by asking me whether I want to open a new or existing Session. That's bad enough, but the program simply will not allow me to say I don't want to open a new OR existing Session and leave me alone. I have to "pretend" I want a new Session, name it, and then navigate to where I want to go. The fundamental problem seems to be that the Sessions concept is embedded into the architecture of C1. The program simply will not work without a Session. Try to delete all Sessions from the Library pane on the left (or whatever you call it).
I like what Hasselblad did for the owners of Hasselblad MFD. They said, look, we understand that the owners of our cameras want choices in what software they use. Many of them want to use Lightroom rather than Phocus for raw conversions as well as asset management and printing. We will therefore work with Adobe as hard as we can on the quality of the raw conversions of Hasselbad files in LR and get to the point where we can say with confidence that the conversions out of LR are as good as Phocus conversions. And then they did just that. Very nice!