The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

David Grover / Phase One

Hi Forum,

I have been pretty quiet over the past few weeks as I have been going through a career change!

Today I start with Phase One as their Business Support & Development Manager in the Software Department. I am working in a great new team who have made me feel very welcome today.

I have a lot of tasks ahead of me but ultimately we want you to have the best experience when using Capture One.

So, Ill still be around, just with a different name. ;)

I look forward to continued discussions with you all.

Cheers,

David

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hard keeping this secret for a couple weeks but glad to see David in his new role at Phase and I not only wish him the best but the crew at GetDPI welcomes him back in new shoes. LOL

Best of luck and lets see some great stuff in C1 now.

hcubell

Hi Forum,

I have been pretty quiet over the past few weeks as I have been going through a career change!

Today I start with Phase One as their Business Support & Development Manager in the Software Department. I am working in a great new team who have made me feel very welcome today.

I have a lot of tasks ahead of me but ultimately we want you to have the best experience when using Capture One.

So, Ill still be around, just with a different name. ;)

I look forward to continued discussions with you all.

Cheers,

David
Interesting move, David. Phase is fortunate to have you.
Given your new role, I hope that you use your new "influence" to take a fresh look at a couple of issues I have with the raw conversion of my IQ 180 files. The first is that the architecture of Capture One is built around Sessions. I hate them and the way they force me to adapt my way of working with and organizing my files to the Sessions way of working with and organizing my files. Moreover, at this point Capture One is just really kludgey and non-intuitive compared to Lightroom and Aperture. I would be ok sticking with Lightroom for everything, but it does not appear that Phase One has made the same committment to Lightroom that Hasselblad has made, so that the file conversion quality out of Lightroom is "just as good" as Capture One is for IQ files. I know you are intimately familiar with what Hasselblad achieved for its files in Lightroom. I can attest that Lightroom does a great job now with Hasselblad files as I have used it for a number of my legacy files. If Phase does the same with Lightroom, it would be a huge thing for me and I believe many others who would prefer to use Lightroom.
Best regards.

Welcome David in your new role.

Are you ready to take our Wish List?

I would like to view the images on iPad after capture w/o the need of C1. I believe if Leaf can do it, then Phase should be able to do it, since Phase One owns Leaf now.

Subrata

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Welcome David in your new role.

Are you ready to take our Wish List?

I would like to view the images on iPad after capture w/o the need of C1. I believe if Leaf can do it, then Phase should be able to do it, since Phase One owns Leaf now.

Subrata
Leaf is not able to do that.

The only direct-to-iPad options out there are with options like the WiFi adapter for Canon/Nikon and the MyFi card. All of those options, in my opinion, are junk. They may add utility in some specific situations/use-cases but they are inflexible, slow, inconvenient, often error prone or unstable, and provide very few of the benefits of shooting tethered (naming/rating/organization/styling-on-the-fly).

The issue with going direct to an iPad is that it's an incredibly powerful phone, but it's a really under powered desktop. To do actual raw processing with any sophistication on a 80mp, let alone 22mp raw file, is simply not possible at this point.

I suspect we may we better/tighter/faster/more-powerful tethering direct to an iPad in the next 2-3 years, but we aren't going to see it next month or even this year (IMO). If someone is able to do it I suspect it will be Phase One due to their unique market position making both market-leading hardware and tethering software. But of course I'm biased :).

gazwas

Who's gonna keep Doug under control now?
Yes, who's going to shout out for HB now?

Hope all goes well in the new role. It seems like only a month or so ago that I had a call from you after taking over Paul's role and now you've defected to the other side. :cool:

Dustbak

Congratulations David.

:)
As long as they aren't both going to sing the same song I don't mind much. Would be nice though if someone else at HB takes over what David was doing but I somehow doubt this. I think Doug needs it too...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
As long as they aren't both going to sing the same song I don't mind much. Would be nice though if someone else at HB takes over what David was doing but I somehow doubt this. I think Doug needs it too...
I'm always in favor of each major brand having an educated rep to back it. When David worked for Hassy he fit the bill perfectly, and I hope everyone would agree that both of us showed a lot of mutual respect for each other with only occasional mistakes from a generally amiable and gentlemanly interaction. It's almost less fun now having him on the same side :toocool:.

I sincerely hope Hasselblad will have someone replace David's former role as that out-reach individual. For all my qualms with Hasselblad I'd be the first to tell you they make some great products with some great unique advantages that deserve to be trumpeted. Moreover every company benefits from having someone who receives valid/well-though-out criticism from it's users and potential users, and the forums provide that.

Alpa seems to have recently gone a different route while Phase (David, myself, Steve), Leica (Farkas), Cambo (myself, Steve), and Arca (Rod, myself, Steve) all seem to recognize the value of providing direct outreach outside of normal/traditional channels.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
LOL I got my eye on him don't you worry. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Nick-T

Congratulations David.

:)
I should mention that I have the greatest respect for Doug, I know through various other sources how much good work he does for the Phase One brand. Who knows maybe Hassy will give Doug a job one of these days :)