The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 1.7 teleconverter

cerett

How well does the 1.7 teleconverter work with the 150 and 210 mm lenses in terms of image quality? Will I be disappointed in the results? Thanks

Miller

Will you be disappointed? I really couldn't tell.
I know I am not. I have used the 1.7 with the 80 and the 210.

Frans Rutten

Hi,

THis is my first post in quite some time.
The 1.7x converter is an excellent optic and is overall a good solution to increase your focal length at an attractive price.

General Lens Data:
Focal length conversion factor: 1.7x
Aperture reduction: -1.5 stops
Length/diameter: 56 mm/85 mm
Weight: 465 g / 16.4 oz.

The converter 1.7x can be combined with all HC lenses except for the following:
• HC 3.5/35 mm
• HC 3.5-4.5/50-110 mm
• HCD 28 mm
• HCD 4-5.6/35-90 mm

When the H1.7X converter is used together with the HC Macro 120 mm or the HC300 mm lens, the autofocus function of the camera is disabled.

Hasselblad Link to datasheet

Chris Giles

Paul, how would the 1.7x effect the minimum focusing distance of another lens. Like the 100mm? I'm thinking it would behave like an extension tube?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Paul, how would the 1.7x effect the minimum focusing distance of another lens. Like the 100mm? I'm thinking it would behave like an extension tube?
Generally speaking teleconverters do not change minimum focus distances. They simply magnify the center part of the image circle to fill the frame. Since they are taking the light that used to fill a small part of the frame and magnifying it so that is spreads out and covers the entire frame you get less total light at any given f-stop (hence the 1.5 stop loss of aperture).

Infinity and minimum focus distances are maintained.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Paul can you elaborate on the below statement?

Are the below combos not recommended because performance might not be optimal or does the body lock you out of using those combos?

• HC 3.5/35 mm
• HC 3.5-4.5/50-110 mm
• HCD 28 mm
• HCD 4-5.6/35-90 mm

(this is not a jab; it's a genuine question - we rarely, if ever, get requests for the tele convertor for rental/evaluation so I don't have a lot of hands on experience with it)

fotografz

Hi Cerett!

The 1.7X extender is a very high quality optical solution IMO. I've used it extensively with the 100, 150 & 150N, as well as the 210. It is my go-to solution for travel, since it extends the use of fewer lenses ... less to carry. The 100 and 150 are particularly good applications in this manner. The 210 gets a bit long without a tripod ring on the lens like the 300 has ... but works fine ( I set a bit of mirror delay for longer lens use).

AF is not compromised in any noticeable manner unless in really low light (the 150/3.2 becomes f/5 max aperture). I haven't noticed any AF difference in the 100/2.2 which becomes a 170/3.5 ... so when traveling or walking about doing location type portraits, I often just take a 50 and 100 plus the 1.7x

-Marc

BTW, welcome Paul Claesson!:)

stngoldberg

Paul has helped me on a few occasions; he is the most knowledgeable Hasselblad person in this hemisphere and his presence on this forum will be an extraordinary plus for us participants.
Stanley

Miller

Are the below combos not recommended because performance might not be optimal or does the body lock you out of using those combos?

• HC 3.5/35 mm
• HC 3.5-4.5/50-110 mm
• HCD 28 mm
• HCD 4-5.6/35-90 mm
This reminds me of when I bought my 210, which is an ex rental. It had been returned with a broken shutter after a trip to Africa. The same guy had also rented a converter and a 35-90. In the field he had discovered that the 35-90 would not mount on the converter. He then had his assistant try to file down the bajonet, but that did not work out.
You can imagine how happy they were when he returned the gear: one broken shutter and damage to the bajonet of a $7500 lens:wtf:.
As far as I know, the front element of the 1.7 would touch the back element of the lenses that are not compatible.
Of course, there is a somewhat less affordable 1.5 converter :eek: that takes the 28 and the 35, but not the zooms...
By the way, the shutter was repaired before they handed over my purchase.

Frans Rutten

Hi Doug,

If you notice the focal length of these lenses they are wide angles, in the case of the zooms they begin at 35 or 50mm. The issue is the rear element in these optics will strike the front element in the tele-converter. If you were to look at anyone of these optics you will notice two flanges that extend out from the mount, they are present to prevent the lens from attaching to the tele-converter and damaging to the primary lens or the tele-converter.

Paul

Paul can you elaborate on the below statement?

• HC 3.5/35 mm
• HC 3.5-4.5/50-110 mm
• HCD 28 mm
• HCD 4-5.6/35-90 mm

(this is not a jab; it's a genuine question - we rarely, if ever, get requests for the tele convertor for rental/evaluation so I don't have a lot of hands on experience with it)

stngoldberg

Yes 1.7 teleconverteron 300mm lens the autofocus is disabled, but I use the combination with manual focus often, and I can confirm focus with live view on my P1 back. The attached image was taken with the above combination.

stngoldberg

I have used two 1.7 teleconverters in front of a 300mm and received good focus results, although with a tripod and mirror up.
But probably not best solution for a safari
Stanley

bab

Yep most of what has been said is true...I use the 1.7x on all the lenses I have that it fits on anyway works great! Anyone who buys into a Hasselblad system would be foolish not to buy it as it offers gap closure between most of the lens line up without any loss of quality especially on the 100c.
fotograpz mentioned to increase the mirror delay (instead put the mirror up) and hold hand on lens and wait a bit between shots while using the 210mm w/ 1.7x rocks out (but must admit its hard to frame close subjects) and the 210mm w/1.7x is for me hard to hand hold.

Its a shame it doesn't work with the 28mm because I don't like HC35 but instead of the 1.7x on the 28mm when needed I use the HTS 1.5 killer images that way.

Another great attribute is the loss of light (except during sun rise/set) it lets you open up without ND.
The sucker is really small and like said above eliminates carrying additional lenses. I wish they made a 1.4x and 2.0x maybe someday.

I could show you a few images but just imagine greatness.

ndwgolf

I have used two 1.7 teleconverters in front of a 300mm and received good focus results, although with a tripod and mirror up.
But probably not best solution for a safari
Stanley
Stanley
Do you get focus conformation with the two arrows lining up when using Manual Focus??

Neil