Site Sponsors

Thread: Hasselblad 1.7 teleconverter

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad 1.7 teleconverter

How well does the 1.7 teleconverter work with the 150 and 210 mm lenses in terms of image quality? Will I be disappointed in the results? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad 1.7 teleconverter

I've no practical experience with it but I've heard nothing but good things. hasselbladdigitalforum.com - Index has a lot of info on it there.

Post Thanks / Like

Will you be disappointed? I really couldn't tell.
    I know I am not. I have used the 1.7 with the 80 and the 210.

Frans Rutten

Member Paul Claesson Hasselblad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

THis is my first post in quite some time.
    The 1.7x converter is an excellent optic and is overall a good solution to increase your focal length at an attractive price.

General Lens Data:
    Focal length conversion factor: 1.7x
    Aperture reduction: -1.5 stops
    Length/diameter: 56 mm/85 mm
    Weight: 465 g / 16.4 oz.

The converter 1.7x can be combined with all HC lenses except for the following:
    HC 3.5/35 mm
    HC 3.5-4.5/50-110 mm
    HCD 28 mm
    HCD 4-5.6/35-90 mm

When the H1.7X converter is used together with the HC Macro 120 mm or the HC300 mm lens, the autofocus function of the camera is disabled.

Hasselblad Link to datasheet

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, how would the 1.7x effect the minimum focusing distance of another lens. Like the 100mm? I'm thinking it would behave like an extension tube?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    Paul, how would the 1.7x effect the minimum focusing distance of another lens. Like the 100mm? I'm thinking it would behave like an extension tube?
    Generally speaking teleconverters do not change minimum focus distances. They simply magnify the center part of the image circle to fill the frame. Since they are taking the light that used to fill a small part of the frame and magnifying it so that is spreads out and covers the entire frame you get less total light at any given f-stop (hence the 1.5 stop loss of aperture).

Infinity and minimum focus distances are maintained.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul can you elaborate on the below statement?

Are the below combos not recommended because performance might not be optimal or does the body lock you out of using those combos?

• HC 3.5/35 mm
    • HC 3.5-4.5/50-110 mm
    • HCD 28 mm
    • HCD 4-5.6/35-90 mm

(this is not a jab; it's a genuine question - we rarely, if ever, get requests for the tele convertor for rental/evaluation so I don't have a lot of hands on experience with it)
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Cerett!

The 1.7X extender is a very high quality optical solution IMO. I've used it extensively with the 100, 150 & 150N, as well as the 210. It is my go-to solution for travel, since it extends the use of fewer lenses ... less to carry. The 100 and 150 are particularly good applications in this manner. The 210 gets a bit long without a tripod ring on the lens like the 300 has ... but works fine ( I set a bit of mirror delay for longer lens use).

AF is not compromised in any noticeable manner unless in really low light (the 150/3.2 becomes f/5 max aperture). I haven't noticed any AF difference in the 100/2.2 which becomes a 170/3.5 ... so when traveling or walking about doing location type portraits, I often just take a 50 and 100 plus the 1.7x

-Marc

BTW, welcome Paul Claesson!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul has helped me on a few occasions; he is the most knowledgeable Hasselblad person in this hemisphere and his presence on this forum will be an extraordinary plus for us participants.
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post

Are the below combos not recommended because performance might not be optimal or does the body lock you out of using those combos?

HC 3.5/35 mm
    HC 3.5-4.5/50-110 mm
    HCD 28 mm
    HCD 4-5.6/35-90 mm
    This reminds me of when I bought my 210, which is an ex rental. It had been returned with a broken shutter after a trip to Africa. The same guy had also rented a converter and a 35-90. In the field he had discovered that the 35-90 would not mount on the converter. He then had his assistant try to file down the bajonet, but that did not work out.
    You can imagine how happy they were when he returned the gear: one broken shutter and damage to the bajonet of a $7500 lens.
    As far as I know, the front element of the 1.7 would touch the back element of the lenses that are not compatible.
    Of course, there is a somewhat less affordable 1.5 converter that takes the 28 and the 35, but not the zooms...
    By the way, the shutter was repaired before they handed over my purchase.

Frans Rutten

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Doug,

If you notice the focal length of these lenses they are wide angles, in the case of the zooms they begin at 35 or 50mm. The issue is the rear element in these optics will strike the front element in the tele-converter. If you were to look at anyone of these optics you will notice two flanges that extend out from the mount, they are present to prevent the lens from attaching to the tele-converter and damaging to the primary lens or the tele-converter.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Paul can you elaborate on the below statement?

HC 3.5/35 mm
    HC 3.5-4.5/50-110 mm
    HCD 28 mm
    HCD 4-5.6/35-90 mm

(this is not a jab; it's a genuine question - we rarely, if ever, get requests for the tele convertor for rental/evaluation so I don't have a lot of hands on experience with it)

Post Thanks / Like

Stanley,

Good to see you here on LL and thank you for the kind words.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by stngoldberg View Post
    Paul has helped me on a few occasions; he is the most knowledgeable Hasselblad person in this hemisphere and his presence on this forum will be an extraordinary plus for us participants.
    Stanley