The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flare / Light source within frame

J

Justalex

I've recently started shooting interiors and architecture on a tech camera after having shot with a H3DII for some time.

The Schneider 28XL lens do not handle flare / light source within frame as well as my Blad lenses. I've also noticed other examples online of tech lenses not performing as well as MF or 35mm lenses.

It's impossible to avoid light sources within frame when shooting interiors and often unavoidable / even desirable to have the sun within frame when shooting exteriors.

Are all tech lenses like this? Does it require a change to my shooting style?

VICTOR BT

i would recommend using the Metthews Raod-Rags. one black fabric is in the kit and u can add another. for flare control, the smaller one is ideal. indoors, u dont need too much grip, just get their small reversable stand and a Mini-Grip kit. all these things are very lightweight and efficient

J

Justalex

Thanks Victor but I meant lights that you actually want to see in the frame, like overhead halogen lighting.

cly

It's definitely more difficult to avoid flare with large lenses like the SK28 but are you sure it's only a lens problem and not a problem with reflections of the adapter plate or the body? For example, the older Cambo back adapter plate was a problem as it reflected a lot of light - meanwhile Cambo has changed the coating, so this problem should be gone. Similarly, the Arca MA645 adapter plate (at least the one I had when I had an Arca RM3d) is problematic: There is a bright/polished metal stripe on the side facing the body. With vertical movements you can force nasty flare - but this can be fixed easily with a bit of camera varnish (e.g., by Tetenal).

Chris

VICTOR BT

ah ok... a different story indeed. can u try using the same set with film? maybe part of it is how the sensor handles. i photograph with light sources inside the frame frequently. u can see it on my website in nature photographs for example. the Planar lens handles it very well, and what u see is draft-scan from flatbed scanner, not a real traditional print which reveals the glimmer far better.
what about using artificial light in addition which will rebalance the things. or else, on location, tethered, u can slightly change the angle of the fall from the light source (if composition allows it).
du have an example, this sort of things are a challenge, but usually manageable.

Could you post some examples?

Are you using any filters? Light can reflect off the sensor and bounce back off the filter.

Also it might be worth contacting a local dealer for their opinion, I used some early Phase backs which had weird artefacts when there was a light in the scene (a copy of the lightsource seemed to be mirrored in the image and tinted the colour of that area in green). I don't know if it was a firmware fix or problem with the filters over the sensor, but it doesn't happen on the back I bought. I recall M8's had similar issues in the early days that was largely (but not entirely) fixed with firmware. If you're seeing that type of artefact, maybe check firmware is up to date, sensor is clean, contact Hass for advice?

If it's generally contrast-stealing flare, have you shone an LED light through the lens to check there is no haze or something inside?

dick

I've recently started shooting interiors and architecture on a tech camera after having shot with a H3DII for some time.

The Schneider 28XL lens do not handle flare / light source within frame as well as my Blad lenses. I've also noticed other examples online of tech lenses not performing as well as MF or 35mm lenses.

It's impossible to avoid light sources within frame when shooting interiors and often unavoidable / even desirable to have the sun within frame when shooting exteriors.

Are all tech lenses like this? Does it require a change to my shooting style?
I would hope that the multi-coating on my Schneider lenses was at least as good as that on my Hasselblad lenses!

Technical cameras do not have as much internal light baffling, as they allow for shifts, and the lenses tend to have a great deal of spare image circle, which can cause flare if you do not use barn doors etc.

One solution is to combine several exposures, so you can light the scene with lights you cannot see, and blend in the lights in the frame.

You can shift-and-stitch, and light the left side of the scene with lights on the right and vice-versa, using barn doors or elaborate lens shades to eliminate unwanted light.

¿Are you using a Hasselblad back on the technical camera?

J

Justalex

I've not a chance to do a back to back test but I should try and do one this weekend to see exactly what difference there is between the LF, MF and 35mm lenses I shoot with.

The Cambo and 28XL are brand new so there shouldn't be a problem there.

You make an interesting point Wentbackward, I hadn't considered the back as the cause of the problem but I recall using a H3D 22 which had horrible flare, I ended up waiting 6 months and purchased the H3DII 22 which had corrected the problem by changing the IR glass on the sensor. The image I've attached with the downlight has these green artefacts.

I've been using P25 + and P65 + (both borrowed) with the Cambo. I'm yet to try my H3DII22 back on the Cambo as I don't have a H Plate yet.

First image (with light) is 28XL indoors. Second image (sky with buildings below) 28XL outdoors. Third image (sky with roof above) Canon TSE 17. You can see how much better the Canon has handled the sun.