The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Killing the DMF system for the D800 (experiences)

pedro39photo

Hello, i am DMF user ( Hasselblad H3D 22MP).

I have 5000 USD and i feel myself in a LIMBO !!! after 2 weeks of peep pixel in D800 samples !!! what to do? a used H3D 39MP or D800 ?

Looking for personal experiences from users, that totally leave the DMF system for the D800. Its true? there is really photographers killing your DMF system for the D800 ???

- 1 - What they love in D800, and what they miss from the old DMF ?

- 2 - What are the old medium format systems that its not a good option to buy now, because they are totally killed by the D800 quality/price ratio.

- 3 - The real impact in used prices for the old generation backs/DMF systems (22-39MP) because of the D800

Thanks, and sorry my English

Pedro

It largely depends on whether your work requires the flexibility of the D800, or the richer tonality of DMF. To make the most of the D800 you're going to have to buy a set of lenses that are capable, $5K will not get you very far. It is very difficult to realise over 100 lp/mm on any camera, the D800 has to work much harder to achieve the its max quality whereas MF which has a larger sensor therefore lower lp/mm to get maximum results (of course this is countered by heavier gear and no stabilisation).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
DMF = Great file quality, smooth tonality, great color and the "MF look;"

D800 = Ease of use, convenience, cost and almost gets to the look of MF.

My net two-cents is this: 70cm (28") of print seems about the break-point. So I would say that if you regularly print larger than 70cm (28") then DMF is tough to beat; conversely if you typically print under 70cm, then you will not see much advantage to MF over the D800.

David Schneider

DMF = Great file quality, smooth tonality, great color and the "MF look;"

D800 = Ease of use, convenience, cost and almost gets to the look of MF.

My net two-cents is this: 70cm (28") of print seems about the break-point. So I would say that if you regularly print larger than 70cm (28") then DMF is tough to beat; conversely if you typically print under 70cm, then you will not see much advantage to MF over the D800.
And it depends on what your use is: For studio where 50-100iso is just fine, MF will win every time. For situations where you need high to very high ISO, then I would think the D800 would win.

Shashin

So, from your post, you are unhappy with the quality from your Hasselblad. So what do you imagine the D800 will give you?

MaxKißler

And another question: Do you want to give up leaf shutter lenses? Of course you gain much higher shutter speeds but only with a focal plane shutter.

So, from your post, you are unhappy with the quality from your Hasselblad. So what do you imagine the D800 will give you?
Higher ISO speeds.

However, I claim that you will not see that much of a difference in IQ, if you take a Hasselblad file and upscale it to the size of the D800. I dare to say that the HB file will be the better looking and perhabs even be sharper. Don't forget about the aspect ratio. 3:2 is horrible for portraits IMO.

KeithL

If I had a Hasselblad H3D-22 - which I have - and if I had 5000 USD - which I have - I'd spend the money on making images rather than changing cameras.

Zerimar

What lenses do you have? Also do you have or use lighting equipment?

I would say keep the camera you are used to using and purchase something else that will help you create better images.

For $5000 you could get started with a profoto acute kit, some modifiers and stands, or an acute b with money left over. Using an acute b on location with a beauty dish or another modifier would dramatically improve portrait quality, and you could sync at 1/800 unlike the d800 :)

Hello, i am DMF user ( Hasselblad H3D 22MP).

I have 5000 USD and i feel myself in a LIMBO !!! after 2 weeks of peep pixel in D800 samples !!! what to do? a used H3D 39MP or D800 ?

Looking for personal experiences from users, that totally leave the DMF system for the D800. Its true? there is really photographers killing your DMF system for the D800 ???

- 1 - What they love in D800, and what they miss from the old DMF ?

- 2 - What are the old medium format systems that its not a good option to buy now, because they are totally killed by the D800 quality/price ratio.

- 3 - The real impact in used prices for the old generation backs/DMF systems (22-39MP) because of the D800

Thanks, and sorry my English

Pedro
What type of photography you do?

Good lenses for D800 are not cheap though! After buying D800 for $3K, you will have hardly any money left for good glasses.

MFDB will give better color and tonality. Do you want to compromise?

However, you can always add a D800 for certain other applications where MFDB is not easy to use like night photography.

Subrata

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Don't try to cut sushi with a bread knife.
Each camera has a use for which it excels.
It also depends on the degree and frequency of portability you are looking for.
There is no shame in having both, but that may limit purchases.
For me, it comes mostly down to lenses. I have found nothing like (speaking from a phase perspective) the LS lenses which I truly adore. If there is a lens you love sometimes it deserves the rest of the camera system to go along with it.
I am far from satisfied with the absolute IQ of the D800 compared to the IQ180. The closest I have found is with some Zeiss manual focus glass. But, and I have a big butt as those who know me, IQ isn't everything. Sometimes my best camera is the iPhone and sharpness and detail are just not important.
-bob

schuster

"i feel myself in a LIMBO"

I think you would do well to stay there a little longer, because the D800 was the first raindrop. It stands to reason that a cloudburst is just over the horizon.

PeterL

I would keep using what you have - it's just as good as the D800. Just because a less expensive solution has appeared - and there will be others coming, does not make what you own and use bad.

Cheers, -Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I would keep using what you have - it's just as good as the D800. Just because a less expensive solution has appeared - and there will be others coming, does not make what you own and use bad.

Cheers, -Peter
Peter,

There are marketing folks and dealers all over the country sticking needles in to a wax effigy of you right now for stating such heresy!!!! :bugeyes:

We all know that as soon as something faster, bigger, cheaper comes along that all existing gear is only so much junk and worthy only for the scrap heap. Didn't you get the memo? :ROTFL:

:D

torger

I would suggest stay low for a while if you can. The D800 has just recently been launched so the MF market has not yet reacted to it. It can also be interesting to see what Canon and other DSLR manufacturers can come up with the coming two years or so, the D800 is only the start of high res DSLRs.

If you however rather would like your MF system to be more like a 35mm DSLR (handling, live view, low light etc) but have stayed with MF due to the image quality, the D800 may be the tipping point when you can make that move.

Paratom

My answer is highly subjective and I dont even own a D800 (just a D700 and had a D3x for some months) and a S2.
My opinion is that I am blown away again and again when I open the S2 files in regards of IQ.
My feel is also that I images posted in the MF-thread overall do have a special look.
I still believe even older MFD-backs deliver the best IQ for my taste.

fotografz

You have to ask yourself a few questions: how much you currently use a 35MM DSLR, and for what kind of work? While the D800 is a 35mm DSLR form factor, it may not be well suited for some types of shooting many people use a 35mm DSLR for.

Plus, as Jack mentioned, how big do you tend to print?

The above questions help determine whether consolidating to a 35mm high res camera will work for you. Remember, the H3D-22 and HC lenses aren't worthless, so you can sell it and add the proceeds to the $5,000 you already have to spend for a D800 and decent optics.

Side note: Be sure to get a D800 in hand ... the little viewfinder may be a shock if you have been exclusively using the H3D.

How do you currently use the H3D? What type of work do you do, and do you use the leaf shutters to good advantage or are they a hindrance because of the 1/800 top shutter speed for available light? 1/800 shutter is valuable if you shoot moving subjects and/or work in brighter conditions with strobes.

What Hasselblad HC or HCD lenses do you already have? $5K can broaden your lens range, or be used to upgrade to later versions of the HC lenses ... like the much improved HC50-II. Lenses are ALWAYS the better investment compared to the body/back.

Do you currently use the H3D to shoot film? ... and if not, I would suggest looking to upgrade to a H3D-II for the better LCD and heat-sink cooling. (the H3D-II and H4 do not accept a H film back like the H1, H2, H2F and H3D does).

While the trend may or may not continue toward higher and higher resolution DSLRs, it won't alter the film gate size and those pixels will be packed into a 35mm window further stressing the optical systems of any brand, while demanding better and better technique from the photographer to realize the additional resolution.

As to falling prices, I think things like the H3D/22 or 39 have already taken the majority hit as higher res MFD systems came on line. They may go a bit lower, but there is a threshold where prices tend to level off. Plus, there are those who still feel the 22 meg fat pixel larger sensor backs have a "magic" look and feel to them ... just like there are those who won't give-up their Nikon D700s for 35mm DSLR work.

My personal opinion is that MFD is more than just resolution ... the look and feel is different ... if you don't see that difference, then why bother?

-Marc

pedro39photo

But no one really kill is DMF for the D800?

I call local photo shop in Portugal and they have a 60 cameras D800 in the waiting list !!! and they don´t have one to deliver...

The sellers man said that, never see a "trend" like this...no even with the lauch of the 5D Mark II

I love the DMF, but i am trying to understand this madness, its the D800 that good??

Shashin

That depends on your starting point. The D800 is more a revelation to those shooting 35mm and APS-C than it is for MFD shooters. But there is plenty of hype--as with every camera that is new and different. Once the D800 has been around for a while, it will just be like any other 35mm DSLR that was supposed to be ground breaking.

There are plenty of folks here not interested in a D800.

Ben Rubinstein

To be 100% frank you're not going to find many objective opinions on any MF board for the next 6 months to a year about this issue. I'd rent and test for yourself and make your own mind up.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
As long as DMF makers do not adopt to the possibilities of CMOS (or something else which is better), they will be stuck.

Physics cannot be overcome, so DMF will always give some extra advantages/differences - however you want to see this.

But also progress and evolution cannot be neglect forever, so I really wonder when MFD makers will understand they need something better or shall we say more capable than CCD.

Killing one's MFD system just because the D800 is there would be nonsense anyway and more patience for where the 35 evolution will head is adequate though. And I am sure we also will se some MFD evolution - maybe revolution - over the next years. Just stay tuned for what Hasselblad will introduce in the coming months and also Phase will not be sleeping ....