The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselbald sensor comparison

Quentin_Bargate

Freudian slip in the thread name (bald, instead of blad)... Visited the barber today, an exercise in paying more (money) despite less hair. Clearly I am traumatised...

Swissblad

You just want us to drool over the D4D-50 and 60 cameras - unfair!
Actually I'm impressed at how good the -31 holds up for portraits!
Thanks for sharing, S.

dick

Hasselblad sensor comparison

You just want us to drool over the D4D-50 and 60 cameras - unfair!
Actually I'm impressed at how good the -31 holds up for portraits!
Thanks for sharing, S.
Don't drool over the cameras - drool over the pictures!

I got the Sinar sliding back for my H4D-60 yesterday, and I am looking forward to using it... how much of the Hasselblad magic is in the lenses, and how much is in the digital back, and how much in Phocus?

I'm in the process of trading in my H4D-31 for a 50, and when I went through the different images on the Hasselblad page referred to above I must say that perhaps more than anything I was impressed with the quality of the H4D-31 images. It's truly a formidable camera, even though lacking some pixels for some usages, and for outdoor work requiring better light (I hear) than the larger sensor cameras.

All the best.

Richard Naismith

dick

Not sure if this has been posted before, a nifty online comparison from Hassselblad of the performance of their range of cameras on sample images.

Sample File Images

Seems pretty useful.

Quentin
It is a pity that they do not include some pictures showing how well the 40 performs at high ISO.

...and it confirms that I have a 200 on my wish-list, but, for the time being, I will have to make do with 88 Mpx MS (Sinar 54H).

Professional

I wish if the site can take my shots if i do, i can test my H4D-60 at high ISO, i don't have H4D-40 though, and i also want to see that high ISO on H4D-40, but at ISO800 on my H4D-60 i am really impressed at how good it is, very similar or closer to ISO200 on H3D models, as i had H3DII-39 before and at ISO 400 i delete the shot.

fotografz

For your edification ... (I've posted this before).

H4D/40, HCD/35-90 @ 35/4, ISO 1600 ... but get this, shot @ 1/25 sec hand-held! No tripod, monopod, bean-bag, wall-lean, mirror up, cable release ... nothing! Plus, it was right after consuming a Starbuck's Grande Latte triple :eek: Thank you Hasselblad for the micro-mirror delay. :thumbs:

BTW,in no way can I hand-hold my S2 like this, and never could with a Mamiya 645 either. The Contax 645 was closer because of their mirror box engineering ... but it still had a focal plane shutter whack, and the AF sucked.

The H4D/40 provides about a stop better ISO performance over the excellent H3D-II/31 or H4D/31 ... so 1600 is about the same as 800 on the 31. The 40 did a better 1600 than the Nikon D3X.

The other unsung thing about the 31 and 40 is that there is very little color shift at max ISO, even in crap light. The key is to set up the camera for the instant custom white balance feature (I use the stop down button), and then use it! My friend with a H3D-II was grousing about how his Canon color was more accurate than his Hassey ... "I told him Canon is crap color, and taught him how to set the quick WB on his camera ... now the Hassey is more accurate ... I guess "accurate" is a moving target :rolleyes:

-Marc

gazwas

Interesting comparison and what grabs me is just how good the 60 is compared to the other single shot backs as I didn't think it would be that much better. In all but the product shot where the MS backs shine, the 60 (which is only just behind the 50MS by a small margin) is pretty much there with regards detail and sharpness.

The 200 is something else but IMO pretty useless without the battery option HB continually inform us is nearly here. The one and only reason why I won't buy a HB camera. Would be great for architectural work on a tech camera with all the DR and detail. Maybe Photokina........?

dick

Interesting comparison and what grabs me is just how good the 60 is compared to the other single shot backs as I didn't think it would be that much better. In all but the product shot where the MS backs shine, the 60 (which is only just behind the 50MS by a small margin) is pretty much there with regards detail and sharpness.

The 200 is something else but IMO pretty useless without the battery option HB continually inform us is nearly here. The one and only reason why I won't buy a HB camera. Would be great for architectural work on a tech camera with all the DR and detail. Maybe Photokina........?
Is that the same battery pack that would fit on the 60?

gazwas

Is that the same battery pack that would fit on the 60?
Yes, the battery pack from the 60 has been nearly here and in final testing stage for almost 18 months now that I know of and the reason why I purchased a Phase system....... but they gave us a Ferrari camera. :loco:

stngoldberg

It takes me less than 30 seconds to connect my image bank to my H4D50 while using my Arca RM3DI. I don't understand the concern for a lack of a battery attached!
I shot for an hour this morning with my imagebank containing a sony battery without any issues. I would like to put this no battery issue to bed once and for all-The imagebank is a battery unit and works like a charm and fits in my pocket

Stanley

gazwas

It takes me less than 30 seconds to connect my image bank to my H4D50 while using my Arca RM3DI. I don't understand the concern for a lack of a battery attached!
I shot for an hour this morning with my imagebank containing a sony battery without any issues. I would like to put this no battery issue to bed once and for all-The imagebank is a battery unit and works like a charm and fits in my pocket

Stanley
You can still buy the Imagebank?

Thought it was discontinued long ago.

If your happy with the Imagebank dangling from your camera then great but the Phase attached battery is a better option for tech camera use and one HB obviously recognise. A real shame as I love the H4D but this was a deal breaker.

fotografz

Actually, it is the Image Bank-II which is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket, not the Imacon monster.

I used it outdoors in winter by running the thin FW800 cord down my coat sleeve so I could keep the battery warm. It uses common Sony L camcorder batteries and you can use larger sizes for extended shooting. The IB-II is very swift and allows fast on-going captures. You can also download CF card to it for redundant capture.

However, I am a bit miffed that the H4D/60 battery is still in limbo with no explanation from Hasselblad. None, not a peep. It is one reason I selected the 60.

Thing is, my IB-II will not work with the H4D/60 ... the only HD camera it doesn't work on. It'll power the back, but you can't capture to it.

I used a H2F with a CF39MS prior to the H4D/60 ... after testing the two on some fabric shots, I was convinced by the 60's ability to capture detail equal to or better than the 39MS ... the 50 may be a tad better and provide more faithful color ... that is one reason some use the MS cameras, the color is better than single shot.

-Marc

dick

Actually, it is the Image Bank-II which is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket, not the Imacon monster.

I used it outdoors in winter by running the thin FW800 cord down my coat sleeve so I could keep the battery warm. It uses common Sony L camcorder batteries and you can use larger sizes for extended shooting. The IB-II is very swift and allows fast on-going captures. You can also download CF card to it for redundant capture.

However, I am a bit miffed that the H4D/60 battery is still in limbo with no explanation from Hasselblad. None, not a peep. It is one reason I selected the 60.

Thing is, my IB-II will not work with the H4D/60 ... the only HD camera it doesn't work on. It'll power the back, but you can't capture to it.

I used a H2F with a CF39MS prior to the H4D/60 ... after testing the two on some fabric shots, I was convinced by the 60's ability to capture detail equal to or better than the 39MS ... the 50 may be a tad better and provide more faithful color ... that is one reason some use the MS cameras, the color is better than single shot.

-Marc
I want the clip-on battery promised.

The way to "put the issue to bed" is to do what was promised.

gazwas

I want the clip-on battery promised.

The way to "put the issue to bed" is to do what was promised.
I don't ever see this one happening and an idea HB has swept under the table as we'll first see a new camera rather than a promised accessory. Very short sighted of HB in the first place as (if the battery existed) the 40 and 50 don't have the ability to use the battery, only the 60 that must have been modified during its 12 month delayed release.

The battery doesn't stop the 60 being a great camera, just not the perfect multi platform camera it should have been and one where Phases "open" system (not dependant on the H4 body) is more practical. ;)

jlm

Workshop Member
i used a Quantum turbo battery pack powering my H39 back on a Cambo, and it worked fine, but eventually the dangling cord thing gets to be a Pia