The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 vs Etch-a-Sketch

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I figured there were comparisons of the D800 to just about everything else out there, so why not the Etch-a-sketch

While the D800 wins hands down in MP count and color saturation, the Etch a sketch has great grey tones, and for the price, it cant be beat!!!!. I think the going rate is about $25 for one of these babies. :LOL:

Shashin

You just don't know how to get the most out of your Etch-a-Sketch. It is not just about the pixels, but the grain structure. Nikon does not have a shake and erase function for the memory cards, which is a deal breaker.

Shashin

When the Etch-aSketch has a touch screen, I will upgrade. Oh, wait. Isn't that called an iPad?

Shashin

The Etch-a-Sketch for all its dials does not have the organic feel of the good old-fashion slate.

Don Libby

How does Etch A Sketch work in auto focus? Also is it as weather proof as they claim? I think we need a long term test to be certain....

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Dont sell short the resolution of an etch-a-sketch.
Images are formed by accumulations of microscopic aluminum particles.

I am sure that Stefan will be filling us in about future e-beam technology developments allowing control of each individual particle as a vast improvement over the two control dials.

The etch-a-sketch has the same minimalist attractiveness of the M-Monochrom which was Leica's result after years of trying to get color right.
-bob

J

JohnW

I often get jaggies in diagonal lines with the Etch-a-Sketch. Is there something wrong with my RAW converter?
If you can stand being without it, you might send it in for calibration. I just had my Etch-a-Sketch tuned, and what a difference! It now draws beautifully.

John