The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 vs Etch-a-Sketch

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Heck comes in 645 format too. Lol

Always portable, the 6.25 x 4.5 inch screen is perfect for home or on the go.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The D800 does have less noise, especially when you shake it...
with the D800's strap lugs, when you shake it, I think it is more noisy.

I hear that there are a lot of folks waiting for the DxO scores before making the jump.

-bob

Shashin

You all are way behind; here's an image I took at a recent workshop.
That is awesome! (Should be posted in the Behind the Scene thread.)

What RRS plate are you using for that. I think it would work better on an Arca Swiss Cube. Do you know if the iPhone adapter mount is available for the electronic viewfinder app?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I knew it wouldn't be long.
EaS Collector's editions

Who would pay for the cosmetics on this thing, probably somebody with too much money.
These things are supposed to be tools.
What next Ohio Art, the Hermes edition which deletes the dials because they are inconsistent with the design?
I wonder if Seal has one of these?
-bob

Shashin

I don't seem to be getting the sharpness out of the D800. Can someone tell what I am doing wrong? 100% crops, etch-a-Sketch on the left, D800 on the right. Processed in CU--Later Edition. Should I get the D800E?

Shashin

I knew it wouldn't be long.
EaS Collector's editions

Who would pay for the cosmetics on this thing, probably somebody with too much money.
These things are supposed to be tools.
What next Ohio Art, the Hermes edition which deletes the dials because they are inconsistent with the design?
I wonder if Seal has one of these?
-bob
+1

It isn't the Etch-a-Sketch, it is the Etch-a-Sketcher.

Don Libby

I don't seem to be getting the sharpness out of the D800. Can someone tell what I am doing wrong? 100% crops, etch-a-Sketch on the left, D800 on the right. Processed in CU--Later Edition. Should I get the D800E?
Check your firmware

D&A

Neither seems to be working properly. Etch-a-Sketch exhibiting too much noise in image, D800 too soft. Of course it could be user error...do you have much experience using either? :)

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Medium format EaS is dead now due to the release of the more portable pocket edition.
Amazon.com: Pocket Etch A Sketch by Ohio Art: Toys & Games
I expect that soon all medium format EaS users will be throwing their previously top of the line trusted imaging tools to the side of the road.
-bob
Wouldn't you know it Bob, that portable Etch-a-Sketch shows a pic of a Cat as it's first representitive image and it looks no worse than many of those 1st Cat pics people post when getting their new D800's. Maybe these two devices really do have more in common than we think :)

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Don't you just love it! George Vlosich III, who created GVART + DESIGN (the website that Bob referenced), commented on one of his most important steps before selecting/purchasing a particular Etch-a-Sketch to work with. Here is his direct quote: (below)

...>>>"Before I invest time creating my art, I have to shake a new Etch A Sketch to test if it will produce crisp, clear lines. Shaking the Etch can be tricky. I have to ensure that there are no marks or lines on the screen. Sometimes it can be challenging finding the right Etch A Sketch. I often go through several before I find the one that will work the best."<<<...

His quote sounds all too familar to most of us, doesn't it? :ROTFL: Guess "good" and "not so good" copies exists in everything!

Dave (D&A)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Don't you just love it! George Vlosich III, who created GVART + DESIGN (the website that Bob referenced), commented on one of his most important steps before selecting/purchasing a particular Etch-a-Sketch to work with. Here is his direct quote: (below)

...>>>"Before I invest time creating my art, I have to shake a new Etch A Sketch to test if it will produce crisp, clear lines. Shaking the Etch can be tricky. I have to ensure that there are no marks or lines on the screen. Sometimes it can be challenging finding the right Etch A Sketch. I often go through several before I find the one that will work the best."<<<...

His quote sounds all too familar to most of us, doesn't it? :ROTFL: Guess "good" and "not so good" copies exists in everything!

Dave (D&A)
Yup,
How many lenses have YOU returned? LOL
I lost count a few decades ago
-bob

D&A

Yup,
How many lenses have YOU returned? LOL
I lost count a few decades ago
-bob
Me??? Aren't I supposed to plead the 5th....LOL! Don't you know, each and every one was perfect! (hmm, I wonder why my nose keeps getting longer :) )

Dave (D&A)