The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Battery Charger

Transposure

Hi All,
I've been looking at battery and battery charging options and would like a little advice.

I am looking for some longer use solutions for field use of a Leaf back (Aptus II 7/DM33). I realize I can get a truckload of the standard batteries, but if I'm in the field all day, I wouldn't mind a bigger battery so I change it less often.

So, my questions ....

Q1:
I have read about/ seen the larger capacity Samsung batteries used for this purpose and wanted to know what they are and where they are available?

Q2:
I know there is the single Hahnel charger but i would really like information on the dual Hahnel charger. B&H has a variety of them for different batteries at $74/style. Just not sure which style since none of the descriptions say Leaf.
Here is one of them as an example...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675991-REG/hahnel_HL_TWIN_VC_PowerStation_Twin_V_Pro.html

Does anyone know the model number of the Hahnel dual battery charger for Leaf batteries?

Q3:
I saw that FredBGG recommends/had-for-sale the Canon CH-910 dual battery charger that also functions as an ac adapter to power the back while still charging two batteries. Does anyone have thoughts on this solution?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ken

Geoff

I bought the dual charger you show (Twin V Pro) from --Capture Integration -- its a bit smaller when folded up, and the digital readout is good. Getting the batteries in the slots is a challenge sometimes, and takes patience.

Last edited:

kdphotography

Ken,

Capture Integration has the Hahnel insert for the Leaf battery here: Digital Back Accessories - Capture Integration - Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment :: Capture Integration – Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equi

That being said, I'm not particularly fond of the Hahnel charger that comes with the Phase MFDBs. Yes, it works, but it also seems a bit delicate. The case is flimsy and scratches easily. The LCD lights only work on one side of the charging insert on mine. I've had a few of these going back from the P65+ to IQ180, and the experience has been rather, eh okay, it works and came with the kit but not something I'd buy independently. There are better chargers available for Phase batteries but not sure about the Leaf battery.

Ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Q3:
I saw that FredBGG recommends/had-for-sale the Canon CH-910 dual battery charger that also functions as an ac adapter to power the back while still charging two batteries. Does anyone have thoughts on this solution?
I have this and used it with my P+ back but I'm pretty sure that it won't have the right layout for the Leaf battery connection.

Zerimar

I have this and used it with my P+ back but I'm pretty sure that it won't have the right layout for the Leaf battery connection.
I also use this with a P+ back and absolutely love it. I have two high capacity 7200 mah BP-950 batteries that I use with the DC coupler to power my P45+.

yaya

Google "Samsung SB-L160" or SBL-160 and you'll find batteries with up to 4,800 or even (claimed) 6,400 mAh

You can order a 12V DC to FW800 adapter from your Leaf dealer and use an e.g. Quantum Turbo battery with a suitable cable (Quantum make a cable for Leaf backs)

Good luck and good shooting!

Transposure

Thanks for your replies guys. :)

Yair,
Thank you for the insight. I found those batteries and they are exactly what I was referring to! I realize I can power the back with a Quantum and cable. I do similar powering with other equipment. I would, however, like to explore either the Hahnel Dual battery charger (Which B&H link above, if any?) or the Canon CH-910 (If applicable with these batteries). Or plainly, what smart charger is required to charge two Leaf compatible batteries simultaneously?

Thanks!
Ken

Zerimar

Only know about the CH-910, it will charge two batteries, one at a time. It is good for that and will also give you a light indicator of the amount of charge left on a battery.

Transposure

So, I understand the battery options, but I am still unclear on the dual charger options.

Does anyone know the model number of the correct Hahnel Dual charging unit? Take a look at the 5 links to B&H above for reference.

And...

Can the CH-910 be used to charge the Leaf batteries??

EH21

I bought mine on amazon and you can find them elsewhere but you need to get the correct insert which is # T9.