Site Sponsors

Thread: Leaf Battery Charger

Post Thanks / Like

Leaf Battery Charger

Hi All,
    I've been looking at battery and battery charging options and would like a little advice.

I am looking for some longer use solutions for field use of a Leaf back (Aptus II 7/DM33). I realize I can get a truckload of the standard batteries, but if I'm in the field all day, I wouldn't mind a bigger battery so I change it less often.

So, my questions ....

Q1:
    I have read about/ seen the larger capacity Samsung batteries used for this purpose and wanted to know what they are and where they are available?

Q2:
    I know there is the single Hahnel charger but i would really like information on the dual Hahnel charger. B&H has a variety of them for different batteries at $74/style. Just not sure which style since none of the descriptions say Leaf.
    Here is one of them as an example...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...win_V_Pro.html

Does anyone know the model number of the Hahnel dual battery charger for Leaf batteries?

Q3:
    I saw that FredBGG recommends/had-for-sale the Canon CH-910 dual battery charger that also functions as an ac adapter to power the back while still charging two batteries. Does anyone have thoughts on this solution?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leaf Battery Charger

I bought the dual charger you show (Twin V Pro) from --Capture Integration -- its a bit smaller when folded up, and the digital readout is good. Getting the batteries in the slots is a challenge sometimes, and takes patience.
    Last edited by Geoff; 25th June 2012 at 07:49. Reason: corrected dealer's name.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Ken,

Capture Integration has the Hahnel insert for the Leaf battery here: Digital Back Accessories - Capture Integration - Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment :: Capture Integration – Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equi

That being said, I'm not particularly fond of the Hahnel charger that comes with the Phase MFDBs. Yes, it works, but it also seems a bit delicate. The case is flimsy and scratches easily. The LCD lights only work on one side of the charging insert on mine. I've had a few of these going back from the P65+ to IQ180, and the experience has been rather, eh okay, it works and came with the kit but not something I'd buy independently. There are better chargers available for Phase batteries but not sure about the Leaf battery.

Ken

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Transposure View Post
    Q3:
    I saw that FredBGG recommends/had-for-sale the Canon CH-910 dual battery charger that also functions as an ac adapter to power the back while still charging two batteries. Does anyone have thoughts on this solution?
    I have this and used it with my P+ back but I'm pretty sure that it won't have the right layout for the Leaf battery connection.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I have this and used it with my P+ back but I'm pretty sure that it won't have the right layout for the Leaf battery connection.
    I also use this with a P+ back and absolutely love it. I have two high capacity 7200 mah BP-950 batteries that I use with the DC coupler to power my P45+.
    Rick Rose
    www.RickrPhoto.com
    HasselPhase

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Google "Samsung SB-L160" or SBL-160 and you'll find batteries with up to 4,800 or even (claimed) 6,400 mAh

You can order a 12V DC to FW800 adapter from your Leaf dealer and use an e.g. Quantum Turbo battery with a suitable cable (Quantum make a cable for Leaf backs)

Good luck and good shooting!
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies guys.

Yair,
    Thank you for the insight. I found those batteries and they are exactly what I was referring to! I realize I can power the back with a Quantum and cable. I do similar powering with other equipment. I would, however, like to explore either the Hahnel Dual battery charger (Which B&H link above, if any?) or the Canon CH-910 (If applicable with these batteries). Or plainly, what smart charger is required to charge two Leaf compatible batteries simultaneously?

Thanks!
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Only know about the CH-910, it will charge two batteries, one at a time. It is good for that and will also give you a light indicator of the amount of charge left on a battery.
    Rick Rose
    www.RickrPhoto.com
    HasselPhase

Post Thanks / Like

So, I understand the battery options, but I am still unclear on the dual charger options.

Does anyone know the model number of the correct Hahnel Dual charging unit? Take a look at the 5 links to B&H above for reference.

And...

Can the CH-910 be used to charge the Leaf batteries??

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your Mamiya Leaf dealer can sell you a Hahnel dual charger for your batteries
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Transposure View Post
    Does anyone know the model number of the correct Hahnel Dual charging unit?
    It might only be available through the Leaf network. The only markings are "Twin V Pro"

Post Thanks / Like

I bought mine on amazon and you can find them elsewhere but you need to get the correct insert which is # T9.