The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya Afd II + rechargeable Batteries

barry685

Will rechargeables effects the cameras performance (specifically shutter lag)?
Is it better to use a battery like the eneloops with a 2000 Mah rating, or a rechargeable with a 2500-2800 mah rating?
How many exposures can I expect to get using rechargeables?
Or should rechargeables not be used at all?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I am using the eneloops and they are working very nice. Leaving this morning for a two day interior shoot and we will see how the batteries hold up but I had these in my camera all week for our workshop and never a issue.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I recently switched to them in my AFD3 body and notice no difference in lag. Unfortunately I don't really notice any difference in life either --- pretty darn short with either types.

John Black

Hi Jack - Can you elaborate on the AFDIII vs AFDII a bit more? This is broad generalization, but I think the AFDII was good for 200-400 clicks on a set of fully charged Envelops (a-la Costco). If the shots were clustered in more or less 1 or 2 settings in one day, then closer to the 400 mark. If it spread throughout the day with lots of "on" and "off", then closer to the 200 mark. If the batteries were left in the AFDII for a week, then a fully charged spare set was an absolute must. Heck, a fully charged spare set was always a must because the battery indicator went from full to empty within ~20 clicks or so. That sums my experience with two different AFDII's. How would you rate the AFDIII in comparison?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi John:

First off, the rechargeables I'm using are the Lennmar 2400 mh NiMH. My point here is I would not assume all are created equal, and different brands may vary on shelf-life and use-life.

That said, in my AFD3 body:

1) I notice no significant loss of life if the camera is left sitting unused, batteries left in the camera, even over several weeks of sporadic use.

2) I noted a definite improvement in total life after the second charge cycle, like about double. The first charge got me maybe 250 clicks before death, or about the same as one fresh battery in my P45+ back.

3) From the second charge on, I would say that life has doubled, or close to it. I now get about 1-1/2 to 2 changes of batteries in my P45+ back per cycle of AA charge, or about 400-500 frames total.

4) Needless to say, I carry the 6 rechareables in the camera, 6 spare rechargeables in the bag, and at least a dozen emergency alkalines nearby...

5) Note that the Lenmar speed charger I bought came with 4 batteries and charges 4 batteries in about 30 minutes, so it takes about an hour to recharge a set of 6 using the single charger. I then bought an extra pack of 10 cells, so I have 14 total cells. I am planning on buying a second charger so I can recharge a whole set of 6 cells in a half hour, and then I'd end up with 3 full sets of cells or 18 batteries total.

Hope that helps,

John Black

Thanks Jack. The battery display on the AFDII burned me several times. There was very little advance warning before the batteries died, so as you said - carry back-ups, and then back-ups for the back-ups. I hoped Mamiya would move to battery system like a Canon or Nikon with the AFD III.

kloud

Hi all,

Just a quick question: will NiMH rechargeables work on an old AFD 645?
Or only good old alkalines?

Thanks

Stef

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I keep a set of Lithiums in the bag for backup, but since they are so light I am tempted to use them :)
-bob

Guy Mancuso

I do the same Bob the Lithiums are in the bag for backup and the eneloops are the primary batteries

Guy Mancuso

I am guessing now i get about 400 to 500 shots per charge maybe more. The other day the camera was ON all day from 9 am until about 7 pm. Than the next morning about another 1 hour and went dead. So not sure how you figure that out but that is what i got out of the eneloops

kloud

Any input on the 645 afd guys? thanks !! Just wondering if it works with lithium, nimh, or simple alkaline only.
Cheers
Stef