The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the S2 feels nice

Paratom

Today I had a chance to look at several digital MF prodcust at a show (AFI, phase, S2) and have to say that I was pretty impressed by the S2.
It feels very good and solid in the hand, the user interface seemed very intuitive to me. It feels heavier than it looks. The lens (there was a 70/2.5 on the camera) and focusing feels very solid as well. Nice display and also the colored display on top of the camera very good to read.
The Leica reps indicated again price should be comparable to competition and lenses not much higher priced than R lenses.
Also these guys were very convinced that the weather sealing was very tough and good. They were also convinced that the quality of the glass should be class leading.
quit impressive.
regards, tom

Paratom

Tom if that was the Frankfurt Canon day then I was there:)
Yes, Yair - you were there and you explained me the AFI. (Thanks again!)
I really like the Waist Level finder and that body. Those lenses are pretty big and heavy but impressive. One can feel the quality.
I am afraid though that Leaf prices are out of my range.
With Hasselblad, Phase and Sinar all offering some combos for around 12K € is there any "nice entrance package" to be excpected from Leaf as well?
How long do you stay in Germany and where do you work usually?
Regards, Tom

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Do the basic care instructions for the S2 include the recommendation to rub down the camera daily with a new $20.00 bill?:ROTFL:
-bob

D

ddk

Today I had a chance to look at several digital MF prodcust at a show (AFI, phase, S2) and have to say that I was pretty impressed by the S2.
It feels very good and solid in the hand, the user interface seemed very intuitive to me. It feels heavier than it looks. The lens (there was a 70/2.5 on the camera) and focusing feels very solid as well. Nice display and also the colored display on top of the camera very good to read.
The Leica reps indicated again price should be comparable to competition and lenses not much higher priced than R lenses.
Also these guys were very convinced that the weather sealing was very tough and good. They were also convinced that the quality of the glass should be class leading.
quit impressive.
regards, tom
I had a chance to play around with the prototype S2s too and I must say that I came very impressed. The camera feels really well balanced, it just felt right, the same as when I first picked up a Contax 645. But I must admit that the Contax gives up some of that feel with a back attached. I'm looking forward to S2's release just hope that there are no M8 like surprises!

carstenw

I saw some images from the S2, and they had stunning amounts of detail at the pixel level, amazingly sharp. The boke looked nice too, although I only saw images from the 70mm. The Leica guy was meant to have brought one of the prototypes too, but in the last minute they needed it for something else, so I just had to look at the images.

There is still some colour seams (from the sensor, not the lens), but they have more than 1/2 year to tune that out, and he fully admitted that they were still working hard on the firmware. They should be done with this long before June, and they are apparently still hoping to bring it out earlier. We will see if they make it, but don't worry about M8-like problems: they are committed to getting it right this time. There is no guarantee it will be perfect, but it will be much more finished than the DMR or M8. Those lessons have been learned the hard way.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Do the basic care instructions for the S2 include the recommendation to rub down the camera daily with a new $20.00 bill?:ROTFL:
-bob
No way Bob. Only if that $20 is made of micro fiber acid free organic free trade cotton stretched by monks at the top of a reclusive island's tallest mountain and harvested by pre-pubescent girls who train their entire childhood to handle the delicate strands and pressed together by the oracle of Berkshire Hathaway in his german made first-generation press.

Otherwise you might scuff the red dot.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

carstenw

I have one of those Leica lens cloths. Amazing thing. I once bought a lens with a polishing scuff on the front element. No matter what I tried, I just could not polish it out, and I didn't want to go too hard on it, for fear of making it worse. Then I used an el-cheapo basic Leica lens cloth, and in 10 seconds it was perfect. Incredible what this company can do.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
We gave a bunch of those Leica lens cloths out at some of our workshops , Everyone loves them. Only thing Leica i have left. ROTFLMAO. The S2 is something on the radar screen but I am pretty damn happy now. Compelling is my key word for it.

BTW Leica is sending me a M8.2 to play around with and I will certainly give a users report here when i get it later in November

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
No way Bob. Only if that $20 is made of micro fiber acid free organic free trade cotton stretched by monks at the top of a reclusive island's tallest mountain and harvested by pre-pubescent girls who train their entire childhood to handle the delicate strands and pressed together by the oracle of Berkshire Hathaway in his german made first-generation press.

Otherwise you might scuff the red dot.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio
Doug,
Of course, those specially prepared twenties will be sold by Leica for $150.00 apiece.
-bob

PeterA

My out there thought is that if you look at 35mm lenses - Leica make the best no question in M form. Their best SLR lenses are also peerless.

I have now owned , tried and tested a lot of the MF lenses. I like the Zeiss formulations the best - but they arent autofocus.

I wil be looking for sharpness, micro contrast and bokeh shmokeh from leica - if their lens range is as good as their 35mm M and R range that will be a big tick.

If the body is as tough as a Canon and their chip as good as the M8/DMR in larger form - thats another box ticked.

If they give me fast autofocus a big bright viewfinder and precise manual focus as well as live view for tethered shooting - thats another box ticked.

If they deliver this system at similar price points to teh MF manufacturers - thats another box ticked.

Its great to see Leica - properly positioning themselves at teh top end of the market - where they belong.

Regarding dealer service - really it all depends on where you are. Down here, I woudlnt deal with ANY MF daler. Judging from experiences discussed in forum(s) most photographers arent particulalrly happy with MF dealers anywhere - with few exceptions.

I got to handle a functioning hand-made Leica S2 at PhotoPlus last weekend. It handles like a dSLR and feels comfortable in hand. The viewfinder was large and bright. Plus, I was surprised at how quickly it focused especially considering this particular camera was several iterations before a final product. The OLED top display is a nice touch as is the simplicity of the controls. There are four soft buttons at the corners of the rear lcd - each button changes functions depending on context of the menu displayed much like a mobile phone.

Now that I have handled the S2 I know I want one. I am confident that image quality from the S2 will be stellar. I have started buying Lottery tickets and scheming other ways to buy it when available. I am in deep trouble.

Mark

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Now that I have handled the S2 I know I want one. I am confident that image quality from the S2 will be stellar. I have started buying Lottery tickets and scheming other ways to buy it when available. I am in deep trouble.

Mark
Mark,

Maybe we could work out some kind of trade involving your Cayman S.... :D

David

etrigan63

I got to fondle an S2 at the PhotoPlus show in New York. Justin Staley was there and actually remembered me from the Leica Demo Day we met at Dale Labs. He was probably being nice. Anywho, I actually got to touch a prototype and I have to say it handles very well considering it's weight. The vertical grip doesn't add much in the way of weight but it improves the balance immensely. The wouldn't let us take test shots so i have no idea how well the new glass performs. Still it was very nice to see in person. Still I will probably consider something more affordable like a Hasselblad for my MF needs...

Mark,

Maybe we could work out some kind of trade involving your Cayman S.... :D

David
Haha! I do want to talk to you about a trade, but the Cayman S is not in the mix.

There wasn't anything I didn't like about the S2 I handled. Of course, that may change as soon as pricing is announced.

Mark

Mitchell

I handled the S2 very briefly, but long enough to agree "it feels heavier than it looks." Much.

To me this seems an issue. The Hy6 which I'm leaning towards seems lighter, perhaps because of the great grip for the right hand, and cradling with the left. I also like the option of waist level finder.

The S2 felt very solid, and well built. Like you could drive nails with it.

Best,

Mitchell