The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting Interiors with MF

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I am on a two hour break and have to get back to shoot the night moody shots . But i nailed a couple this morning that I really like. Okay fess up time , i would be totally screwed without the mamiya 28mm. Every shot today has been the 28mm not only because I want to but need too. Need wides here folks no question about it or i would be panning all day. Gear on hand 3 Elinchrom 600 mono's , 1 Ranger pack and 2 heads and a Nikon SB 28 and Metz 54. Seems like that is working out better than i thought plenty of power F12 all day pretty much at ISO 100. Would not mind having a second ranger pack to be honest. But i have used every head on every shot . Shooting the P25 plus tethered to a MacBook Pro with C1 4.5 Pro. Funnny thing MF folks is every time someone walks by the laptop I hear , wow look at the detail. Tell me that don't make the pain go away on writing the check. I wish I had the Alpa but seriously i still need a 28mm, so in the end pretty happy I bought the Mamiya . It may not be perfect but it get's it done. Okay these are processed real fast and straight from the can.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We can see a few of your lights reflecting off the framed image that is reflecting in the big mirror. Doncha just hate it when that happens :D. Good news is that's an easy one to clone! :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

We can see all the lights reflecting off the framed image that is reflecting in the big mirror. Doncha just hate it when that happens :D. Good news is that's an easy one to clone! :ROTFL:

Yea i saw that I think i have one with it clean. Rushing throw the pile. I use the laptop as my Polaroid

Guy Mancuso

Trying to find my happy spot with the kitchen . Acceptable reflections is what i need to settle on. I have a whole slew of these and need to find one that makes me smile

Guy Mancuso

That is the start hopefully get some more good ones tonight. Client loves them so that is what counts

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
Hello Guy,
How are you getting the interior and exterior to both be properly exposed in the same image?
Thanks

Guy Mancuso

Seriously just having enough flash power . I am around F12 f14 with the strobes and shooting at 1/100 or 1/125. Bottom line you do NOT have to have a leaf shutter just plenty of juice. The leaf shutter really is when you want to shoot more wide open outside and you can crank the shutter up to compensate for being open,here the focal plane would be tougher to deal with . But you can get around this stuff and certain jobs it won't matter , In this case plenty of strobe and frankly I don't have a lot going really

The kitchen I was shooting about 1/25 the living room with direct view of outside up to 1/100 or 1/125

Actually this is 1/5th of a second at F14. This is processed better

helenhill

Lovely shots
BUT i do think they are in need
of a DECORATIVE Artist to put some Atmosphere
into the Walls
Then your MF shots will Truly Shine even more :) :D

Is this up for sale ?
best-h

jlm

Workshop Member
i like em' a little brighter, like the first two. also a little more light on some central focal point, also seen in the first two

Guy Mancuso

They could use it Helen. 1.6 million spec home. The client is the builder so I have to be careful about shooting furniture per say. Trying to get there design in there but a little lighter I agree I could open them up some. I did these pretty quick on processing and did not adjust anything.

Guy Mancuso

Have to say this Mamiya 28mm is much better than what some talk about. These images are sharp even the corners. I don't see any smearing. I also used my secret corner sharpnes sauce on them too. Love the corrections C1 put in and there not done yet. Well off to bed have a sunrise shot

Riley

what a great series, Ive been interested what exposures MF would require for interiors. The F12-14.... wow, I get away with F4.5 and can get 3+ft to infinity on 22mm EFL, which is a lot easier on strobes. Just think about apertures for deeper spaces of around 30ft,.....yikes!

this is that 30ft deep interior moment, 1/30th F4.5 iso1000 on E3, i had no choice but to let the far window blow out not having enough strobes to cover the space. Ugly shadows result....

Joseph: Put the camera in manual mode, first you set the aperture for the DoF required, then you set the shutter to cut off the light through the windows, in bright outdoor conditions you might get quite high shutter speeds out to 1/320th, provided your gear will still sync the flash at those speeds.

You can quickly determine the exposure by going to the window and metering the outdoor scene at the aperture required

This means the strobes will have to light the interior, and were sometimes TTL can not adequately calculate the exposure, you might have to go full manual.