The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting Interiors with MF

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
1.6 but I can get you a deal.:D

This is 4600 sq ft. designed for the over 50 crowd. YOU

BTW this is Carefree which interestingly enough is the richest TOWN in America .
1.6... amazing how affordable that sounds when you eliminate all the zero's. :ROTFL:

Is it the same general community and area as Cave Creek?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes same area. Really nice up here . I am about 8 miles South . Having the Cave Creek zip code helps with property taxes. Heck we could do a workshop right in Cave Creek, still have cowboys here and real ones. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Oh heck went this far with images . Just keep posting them . I love this forum for one particular reason we show IMAGES

jlm

Workshop Member
guy...are you just using the viewfinder grid lines to set verticals, assuming you have them?

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
On the last one, Guy, the corners look a little soft. What f-stop is that image shot at? How far have you found you need to stop down to eliminate weakness in the corners before and after the new version of C1? By the way, very nice interior shots.

Guy Mancuso

guy...are you just using the viewfinder grid lines to set verticals, assuming you have them?
John no grid lines in camera . I do use the P25 crop frame lines though a lot and that seems to help. One other thing I do with my tripod and reason i got the Panning clamp from RRS is a square the head in the sprit level dead on in the middle . Than put the camera on, this way i know everything is dead perfect to start

Guy Mancuso

On the last one, Guy, the corners look a little soft. What f-stop is that image shot at? How far have you found you need to stop down to eliminate weakness in the corners before and after the new version of C1? By the way, very nice interior shots.
This is a great question Kurt . I am really close to these pots and plants so DOF is really hard on them and at F11 here even though sounds like good enough it is not to carry.

I think F16 is the magic F stop with the 28mm than do the corner sharpness that i created with the 35mm profile since the 28mm profile is not out yet in corner sharpness in C1 yet. So i do have to cheat with the one I created which does a nice job. That plant shot i did want to throw it out some and viewer focus on the house

But this is something I need to play around with. I notice if something is close than my corners are more soft than something further away in the corners. I think this has to do with curvature of the lens and maybe Doug can touch on this or someone that knows the tech side on optics. But this does seem to be the case the front element is very curved. Great question Kurt

Now I would say i could probably do better with a tech camera and a Rodenstock 28mm but here again I may still be there shooting. LOL The mamiya it is obviously easier to work with a camera body . Tech camera's I would have to keep going back to the lens cock the shutter and go through that routine and also guess at focusing. Results will most likely be better in some cases but the Mamiya is just easier to work with and has many other uses for me that a tech camera can't do. Compromise is something that we get to realize a lot . The mamiya is obviously no slouch as we see how damn sharp it really is , but we are fighting a retro focus design too and these corners can create issues. When C1 does come out with the 28mm corner sharpness default i am sure it will get much better and for now just use my secret sauce on it . In the end though overall i would rather have it in my bag than not over a tech camera. But that is me and i have more uses for the 28mm than just interior work.

Don Libby

Guy - great images! Keep em coming. Looks like some of the homes in the Sdaalebrooke area of Tucson

It also seems that no matter the cost of the home we still have the same sky:ROTFL:

don

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the response, Guy. Very interesting idea that close-up objects in the corners might look softest. Something that in most cases could be planned around.

LJL

Thanks for the response, Guy. Very interesting idea that close-up objects in the corners might look softest. Something that in most cases could be planned around.
That is kind of what I was thinking about also ;)

Guy, the shots are very nice. Just seems that if you were going to use an element in the frame where almost everything else is in sharp focus, you would also want that frame element to also be in sharp focus to complete the image. Your other shots carry that nicely, but a few where you have an object much closer, and out of the DOF close range, it tends to look distracting. It is very hard to get everything within the operating DOF range sharp when there is so much distance to cover, even with a fairly wide angle lens and stopping down. Not a criticism, so much as a compositional comment of sorts. I like what you are getting, but for those shots where the close corners are too close and are not in focus, it would seem better to crop them out at time of composition or in post.

LJ

Riley

possibly a curved field of focus

a bit reminiscent of an article i read using fast/widish lenses by portrait photogs
this guy (oops!) actually got the model to pose within the complex curved field of focus, so that the obvious detail of the frame was in focus, all else was bokeh. But i suspect his focus field curved the other way.

not sure how to conduct such a test but you could shoot at a wider aperture and try to get a feel for the limits. Maybe even some brick wall shots. Alternately, you would get use to it in time i guess

that shot of the fountain really pushes the detail doesnt it
i guess it doesnt have an AA filter, would that be right ?
yet it doesnt present those speckled highlights we see with M8

LJL

Guy,
Nice job on this.

Do not hate me, but two nits you missed...

There is still a wall plate on the back wall near the edge of the doorway on the far right side. Might be tough to remove without affecting the martini glass.

The other is actually the reflection on the countertop from the wall plate you retouched at the very bottom right. I know, a terrible nit to pick, but details, details....;-)

LJ