The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Totally amazing work

gazwas

Sure they demonstrate that. It is an advertisement for that production company, after all.

I am very impressed with the editing that holds a bunch of special effects together along with quite nice background music.

Just to be clear: I am not sure about the title of this thread. As I mentioned, it is an advertisement for the capabilities they have and is not a stand alone creation/work (that is what the vimeo link says quite clearly, IMO).
Call the thread what ever you want, it doesn't stop it being a great body of work, all rolled up into one promo video highlighting this particular production companies talent.

From looking at their website, many of the effects shown are real paying jobs so I stand by the title, totally amazing work. :salute:

V

Vivek

I see their work quite often here on TV adverts. The link is about their capabilities. Great video production team.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Also amazing that you can now buy a Sony FS700 that can do 240fps at 1080p for $8K.

Yes, this slomo gives you ways to show things our eyes cannot directly see.

SergeiR

Ah.. Back to university days when we had to build and program tools like that as part of semester projects. Of course back then it was not on vimeo.. Heh.

V

Vivek

Also amazing that you can now buy a Sony FS700 that can do 240fps at 1080p for $8K.

Yes, this slomo gives you ways to show things our eyes cannot directly see.
I suspect they used a lot more frames/s than what the FS700 can offer.

fotografz

You would know this Marc, is it actually worth the cost to do this for real rather than CGI for the intended usage, i.e. tv adverts? Or is indeed cheaper?
It depends on the effect Ben.

As mentioned in the video, this is primarily table-top work where it is quite often the same or less expensive than CGI, and usually faster to produce.

It is when you get into larger productions, or ones that feature something that does not exist, that CGI becomes the more economical method ... although they did show cars bashing into one another.

In some cases, you have to legally use the actual product, like with food for example.

IMO, if it can be done for real, there is still something to be said for authenticity ... which is why places like that still exist.

I've done some CGI that sounded good on paper, but left a lot to be desired ... which you do not know until it is too late and you have run out of money. Shooting footage for real, you usually know right away and can make adjustments.

BTW, footage like this and CGI are often used together ... it isn't always one or the other.

-Marc

Tibor

This reminds me of Ron Dexter saying that you never have to accept the equipment as it was built by the manufacturer and to always push for something you need. If the equipment doesn`t exist, make it.

You can learn more about Ron Dexter on his website RonDexter.com

pophoto

Coming from VFX and feature animation, most of these clever rigs are under NDA. However, in commercial/advertising is where I've seen and heard of clever rigs like these, and perhaps the more famous "Matrix" spin around shots with 50 or so DSLRs taking shots at the same time at different angles.

Usually in commercials the turn around time is in days or just a short time, so small productions houses with IPs like these are their promotional front too. Otherwise you could always visit places like the MILL or Framestore for these types of production reels.