The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H3DII-31 and PocketWizard FlexTT5

adaml

Hello GetDPI.com forum!

I recently picked up a Hasselblad H3DII-31 and beside conventional PocketWizards, I also have a set of FlexTT5's and AC3 controller. I love this system and use it with both speedlites and strobes.

I had the FlexTT5 and AC3 controller working with the Hassy. As a test, I was was able to trigger a Nikon speedlite thru the 9 stops of flash power remotely with the AC3 controller. Then I tried again to use the FlexTT5 and nothing. Even reset my units to factory default.

The FlexTT5s are working with each other as well as my Nikon D3s, but they stopped communicating with the Hassy. According to PocketWizard, the latest firmware release supports manual use with virtually any camera, so I'm stumped.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks, Adam

Douglas Fairbank

Check that the metal end stop on the accessory shoe of the prism is not bent. You will probably find that the pocket wizard is not making connection to the shoe.

Udo

Adam,

maybe this is a stupid hint, but in case you used the PocketWizards on a Nikon in the meantime and activated TTL mode, you need to set the Flex units back again to manual mode via PocketWizard Utility.

As a side note to Douglas' hint, try to bypass the hot shoe connection with a pc cable between H camera body / digiback and the Flex unit.

Good luck.

Udo

adaml

Thanks for your input. I am only using Manual and have determined that the FlexTT5 must be pushed quite tightly into the front of the hotshoe in order for it to properly make contact. So for now, I got it working again.

The cool thing about this system is that with a FlexTT5 and AC3 controller, you can remotely manage 9 stops of flash power individually across 3 groups. Saves a lot of time running up and down C-stands!

Adam

Y

Yasmin

Hi Folks:

I want to try this too, but could not find details on PW site.

How does this work? Should I switch every thing to Basic Mode or CTTL?

Can AC-3 have to be on camera ?

Thanks

Yasmin

adaml

Hi Folks:

I want to try this too, but could not find details on PW site.

How does this work? Should I switch every thing to Basic Mode or CTTL?

Can AC-3 have to be on camera ?

Thanks

Yasmin
Hi Yasmin,

I am using FlexTT5's and AC3 controller with my Hasselblad H3DII-31.
Here's what you need to do:
Update ALL of your FlexTT5's the the latest firmware via the PocketWizard Utility. You'll need to connect the FlexTT5's to your computer via USB, then open the utility etc.
When using the FlexTT5's, you must use them in Manual (M) mode. TTL will not work. In Manual mode, you can use the FlexTT5's pretty much on any camera with the AC3 controller. I use them on my Nikon D3s, Fuji X100 and Hasselblad. I control anything from Nikon SB800s to Alien Bee Einsteins.

Here's a recent shot I did with the Hasselblad using a FlexTT5 and AC3 controller on the camera to trigger 2 x Nikon SB800's with FlexTT5's.

Cheers,
Adam

Nick by Adam Lerner, on Flickr
--
http://adamlerner.net

Last edited:
Y

Yasmin

Thanks for the fast reply.
My FlexTT5 sets have the latest firmwares.

Can't wait to use them use in Manual with my Mamiya cameras.

Valentin

PW TT1 or TT5 transmit on both Control and standard channels at the same time. You determine the channel via the utility. They will work with any camera (in standard mode).

adaml

Thanks for the fast reply.
My FlexTT5 sets have the latest firmwares.

Can't wait to use them use in Manual with my Mamiya cameras.
cool and depending on what your max shutter (1/800 or 1/1600), you should be able to sync the entire range, but will have to increase power on your lights to keep up.