The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Great time to purchase a new Hasselblad

BANKER1

Marc,

You would know better than me, but I think most pros are looking for a lighter camera with weather proofing. MFD should not move toward being like 35mm, but a smaller lighter camera might be welcome. Your S2 is an example. However, a lot of the weight is in the lens so who knows.

Right now, I am satisfied with my current Hassy setup, so I don't know what might excite me. Time will tell.

Greg

Mammy645

The thing that bugs me the most about the "digital revolution" is the lack of options we have nowadays. Back in the day of film we had so many more different kind of cameras, formats, looks, and ways of working with them. Nowadays it's all so homogenous, most of the cameras (the few manufacturers that are left) look and feel the same, they have similar sensors, lenses, etc. We've been deprived of so many exotic and fun things like medium format rangefinders, dedicated panorama cameras, even small things like waist level finders are now almost extinct. I find it boring both emotionally and creatively, which is why I'm more exited to be shooting film again with old gear than the latest megapixel monster or 1DsXCwhatever from Canikon.

symbolphoto

For me, i'd like the following in a new H5...

1. Faster start-up.
2. We don't need more stinking megapixels, keep them as is.
3. High resolution display.
4. Four multi-function Buttons similar to the Credo.
5. Higher ISO performance. Hell, give me a clean 800 and i'd be quite happy.

If 0% financing comes over here, i'd have to take a long hard look at upgrading to something new... i can't buy anything outright at the moment, but financing is certainly an option.

TomSteele

got to agree with symbol :)

also marcs comments on the uk market, things are certainly grim here at the moment well in my area most certainly this economic downturn seems to have fuelled the whole mags using amateurs shots for nothing but accreditation thing again know a few of my friends are struggling like crazy to survive and Ive not been far behind them recently if anyones got a job ;)

dealbreakers for me for a new hassy.

1. better Iso performance

2. retina display of some kind thought the current one was pretty pants in comparison to what else is on the market bit more colour accurate

3.they can stick the mp 40 -60 is more than enough cleaner files though :D

4.maybe a little weatherproofing for those more ambitious shoots

5.dare I say to a 500mm lens now that would be brilliant for the wildlife stuff or for other stuff where a really long lens comes in handy

now dream spec wise imagine a hassy with 5 fps bit of weather proofing and a 500mm haha now that'd shake things up. medium format quality for long lens work.. heaven

only my humble opinion :D

Tom

fotografz

I think Hasselblad will have to be more inventive than any of us are here to really make a mark.

For example, I doubt any of us would have predicted the True Focus/APL innovation.

They have gone both ways in past ... a relatively incremental but costly change between the H3D and H3D-II cameras ... and a more inventive change between the H3D/H3D-II and the H4D with TF and other useful stuff including the double res LCD.

IMO, they will have to add more value to both the cameras and user experience to jog the market.

One thing that would instill more confidence would be an included combined 2 year all inclusive, 5 year depot warranty (with a small deductible) that is transferable. 5 years of warranty total would vastly improve trust and a sense of value in these uncertain economic times ... and improve the perceived re-sale value a lot.

The other thing that would garner my attention would be improvements to the current system while adding a new complimentary body with an H mount that could serve as a replacement for 35mm systems. Drop the H4 or 5 camera with 31 and 40 sensor, offering only a more studio based 60, 80 single shot and the 50/200 meg Multi-Shot ... and produce a smaller, faster HX-1 (mirror-less?) dual shutter body, higher ISO (a good 3200 or 6400 is enough for me) using a smaller 40 or 50 meg CMOS sensor, Live View, TF ... did I mention fast?

One set of lenses to full-fill many more tasks rather than two complete lenses systems. The 50, 80, 100 and 150 lenses would serve to keep it all relatively small ... and maybe add a smaller HX WA and a longer "bird" lens options from Fuji :)

I was struck by the above idea when Leica offered the full function H to S adapter ... in theory, if Leica produces a faster CMOS based S3 with LV, increased ISO performance, better AF as rumored, it will start to fill that function. As I've used the S2 over the past year or so, my 35mm system has fallen in use dramatically. The next step could eliminate it entirely, with any slack being taken up by the more innovative smaller cameras coming on strong.

-Marc

Ben Rubinstein

Haven't seen it mentioned but on top of the 0% finance deal, they are also running a buy one lens get then 2nd half price. That's one heck of a deal and it looks like they're targeting new customers, people who are not yet MFDB shooters. I hadn't believed it originally but now I do believe that they are reacting to the D800 and the forthcoming high megapixel Canon and Sony's.

fotografz

A tempest in a tea-pot.

Hasselblad has always run these promotions, and even better ones in past, which had little to do with competition and everything to do with clearing inventory, or keeping production running at certain levels.

The recent price reductions were well warranted ... prices had been creeping up, but the economy has not improved as hoped ... in fact shows signs of worsening again.

In this case, we are just a few weeks away from Photokina, which could mean any number of things ... two that come to mind are a new camera as hinted at by Jurgen's post ... or they are late with R&D and have nothing of great substance for Photokina.

In either case, selling as much inventory as possible prior to Photokina is the prudent strategy. Think about it. Unless absolutely necessary, who would buy anything this expensive with Photokina looming on the horizon?

Coincidently, these promotions end on September 18, the start day of Photokina 2012. The cat will then be out of the bag one way or another.

It is highly possible that the promotions would be extended if remaining inventory is too high. Maybe even better ones. Who knows?

As to a new mirrorless CMOS camera with a giant sensor ... all I can say is that it had better be a quantum improvement in EVF technology, and the sensor had better not be bigger than the HC lens coverage. A new lens system being required would immediately take Hasselblad right off my shopping list.

-Marc

gazwas

As to a new mirrorless CMOS camera with a giant sensor ... all I can say is that it had better be a quantum improvement in EVF technology, and the sensor had better not be bigger than the HC lens coverage. A new lens system being required would immediately take Hasselblad right off my shopping list.
When they say giant sensor IMO they mean MPix not size. HB/Phase/Leaf are too locked into the 645 format to go much bigger. Even some of HB recent lens's aren't even designed to cover a full 645 frame.

Like you said, many HB users would find having to purchase a whole new line of lenses just too much of on upgrade in the present economic climate and the penny counters at HB must see this also.

fotografz

Well, given the H lenses produce a circle not a rectangle, it is feasible that a square sensor camera could be produced ... which wouldn't break a lot of "Hasselblad Hearts" out there. ;) Back to the Future!

A 53.7 X 53.7 sensor in a less bulky camera because it's mirrorless could be pretty interesting. The two HCD lenses would simply produce something like 52 X 52. On the current 60 meg back the HCD optics produce a 54 meg file by cropping a smidgen, but it is the software that does that. For portraits where edge performance doesn't matter, I don't even use the crop.

That would be one way to jack up pixel count without going to a teeny -tiny pixel pitch. With a 80 meg type pixel pitch, I'd guess a square would approach or breach the 100 meg barrier.

Then they could put it in a CFV back, and all the V users would be in Nirvana ... :ROTFL:

(I'm humming the tune "Beautiful Dreamer" as I write this). :)

-Marc

yaya

Well, given the H lenses produce a circle not a rectangle, it is feasible that a square sensor camera could be produced ... which wouldn't break a lot of "Hasselblad Hearts" out there. ;) Back to the Future!

A 53.7 X 53.7 sensor in a less bulky camera because it's mirrorless could be pretty interesting.
Marc I think you're getting a bit over excited there buddy....a square 53.7mm sensor requires an image circle of at least 75.9mm which is about 8mm larger than what is required for a 645 chip...

Uaiomex

Even a 48X48 sensor would be way too cool for all those MF photogs gone 35!
Let's all grab our hands together and hope hard that there is a god after all.
Eduardo

A 53.7 X 53.7 sensor in a less bulky camera because it's mirrorless could be pretty interesting. The two HCD lenses would simply produce something like 52 X 52. On the current 60 meg back the HCD optics produce a 54 meg file by cropping a smidgen, but it is the software that does that. For portraits where edge performance doesn't matter, I don't even use the crop.

That would be one way to jack up pixel count without going to a teeny -tiny pixel pitch. With a 80 meg type pixel pitch, I'd guess a square would approach or breach the 100 meg barrier.

Then they could put it in a CFV back, and all the V users would be in Nirvana ... :ROTFL:

(I'm humming the tune "Beautiful Dreamer" as I write this). :)

-Marc

fotografz

Marc I think you're getting a bit over excited there buddy....a square 53.7mm sensor requires an image circle of at least 75.9mm which is about 8mm larger than what is required for a 645 chip...
Isn't the current sensor 54mm (53.7) X 40 mm? The current H lenses cover that side-to-side ... why not top-to-bottom if it is a circle?

-Marc

Shashin

It is about fitting square pegs in round holes. The sensor diagonal defines the image circle.