Site Sponsors

Thread: Great time to purchase a new Hasselblad

Post Thanks / Like

Great time to purchase a new Hasselblad

First price reductions, now 0% finance deal!

0% Lease Purchase

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Great time to purchase a new Hasselblad

Looks like they are having a fire sale!
    Wonder why ...
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Zero percent is a seriously good deal just so long as there's no hidden fee at the end.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This looks like UK only
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also got that email, 0% with only a £50 ending fee to fully purchase the camera and no other charges is a very very good deal. Makes you wonder what's waiting in the wings for photokina if they are that desperate to shift stock, probably something pretty good!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

oh my... PLEASE EXTEND THIS TO CONTINENTAL EUROPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

pretty please ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am thinking their nomenclature needs a little work for their customer service program. I mean, do you really want to call your "Hasselbuddy"?
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    Not bad.
    I'd have been all over this 18 months ago!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Makes you wonder what's waiting in the wings for photokina if they are that desperate to shift stock, probably something pretty good!
    If you have to believe the rumors a mirrorless camera with almost medium format sensor...

Wait and see I guess...

On a different note, Hasselblad seems to have centralised its Danish and Swedish operations in Sweden:
    http://press.hasselblad.com/media/19...-centre_en.pdf
    http://translate.google.se/translate...yttar-hem-igen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I am thinking their nomenclature needs a little work for their customer service program. I mean, do you really want to call your "Hasselbuddy"?
    How about "Hasselbladder?"

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Looks like they are having a fire sale!
    Wonder why ...
    FYI: This is not new. I bought my first Hasselblad years ago with the same 0 interest deal.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    No Thanks! The 'Hasselbuddy' concept is great but I don't personally like the word so can anyone think of a better name, please?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Sound like you need a trip to the doctor!

Maybe after all this speculation, HB are not going to release anything new at Photokina and this is just a way to kick start sales over the slow summer period and in wake of the new Phase/Credo backs and Nikon D800 whirlwind.

Photokina has got like the Apple developer event where the late Steve Jobs used to say "and just one more (big) thing........"
    People expecting big stuff, putting pressure on manufacturers to deliver. Just hope we're not all disappointed....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Fairbank View Post
    No Thanks! The 'Hasselbuddy' concept is great but I don't personally like the word so can anyone think of a better name, please?
    To go along with the zero interest financing ...

Zero-Hassel-Service

"Buddy" implies friend ... I don't need a friend or tricky word play, I need a ...

Personal Hasselblad Service Representative

OR

Personalized Hasselblad Service.

Which, BTW, I already have with my Local rep. who is also an expert photographic Tech guy.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post

Maybe after all this speculation, HB are not going to release anything new at Photokina and this is just a way to kick start sales over the slow summer period and in wake of the new Phase/Credo backs and Nikon D800 whirlwind.

Photokina has got like the Apple developer event where the late Steve Jobs used to say "and just one more (big) thing........"
    People expecting big stuff, putting pressure on manufacturers to deliver. Just hope we're not all disappointed....
    Nothing would surprise me come Photokina. With the possibility of a Leica S3 and M10 assaulting my bank-account, Hasselblad will be in a highly competitive situation for my dollars ...in fact, only one will get any attention from me ... and I am not dissatisfied with the current S2, M9P, or the H4D/60 ... so it'd have to be a spectacular leap forward to open my rusted shut strong box of reserve cash

I'm less interested in an all new platform or some 100 meg back, and would like to see them extract more out of what they already have ... like firmware that jacks the ISO to 3200 FF from the 40 meg back, and 1600 from the 60 meg back ... while maintaining IQ like they did with the 31 and 39 backs previously. Frankly, I'd even be willing to pay for that firmware update which is usually free.

If revolutionary change is in the wind for Hasselblad, it may be CMOS and a bigger Retina type LCD display with touch controls ... if they are flirting with EVF and eliminate the mirror and make for a much smaller body, it had better be 10X better than what is out there right now which I personally cannot stand.

-Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    This looks like UK only
    Not only that ... it is for UK Business Customers Only and includes special rates for the Hasselblad studio in London.

This seems more a supportive promotion for professional studios that are beleaguered by the still sluggish economy along with more rumors of a second wave of economic woes, therefore are more reluctant to commit large chunk amounts of cash into upgrading gear.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sound like you need a trip to the doctor!

A person "who should know" at Hasselblad told me that something very exciting is coming at Photokina. My speculation is a new back (80-100 MP), a new camera, or new technology of some kind. If Hasselblad comes to Photokina with some warmed over advertising, there will be a lot of disappointed people. Even an 80 MP back is long over due for them, so for me that would be disappointing.

Greg

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post
    A person "who should know" at Hasselblad told me that something very exciting is coming at Photokina. My speculation is a new back (80-100 MP), a new camera, or new technology of some kind. If Hasselblad comes to Photokina with some warmed over advertising, there will be a lot of disappointed people. Even an 80 MP back is long over due for them, so for me that would be disappointing.

Greg
    It would be interesting to know what would excite the MFD market at this point.

Most pros I know aren't that interested in a higher meg count. They tend to be looking for more functionality like True Focus was, or improved per-pixel performance, faster operational speed and streamlined operations.

So, it may be the advanced enthusiasts that will drive more innovations. The most frequent enthusiasts "dream request" I see on all the different forums I read is: 1) a digital XPan, and 2) a large square sensor ... neither of which will happen IMO.

So what could it be that would be deemed "exciting"?

-Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Most pros I know aren't that interested in a higher meg count. They tend to be looking for more functionality like True Focus was, or improved per-pixel performance, faster operational speed and streamlined operations.
    +10000

(just thought i'd chime too)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,

You would know better than me, but I think most pros are looking for a lighter camera with weather proofing. MFD should not move toward being like 35mm, but a smaller lighter camera might be welcome. Your S2 is an example. However, a lot of the weight is in the lens so who knows.

Right now, I am satisfied with my current Hassy setup, so I don't know what might excite me. Time will tell.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that bugs me the most about the "digital revolution" is the lack of options we have nowadays. Back in the day of film we had so many more different kind of cameras, formats, looks, and ways of working with them. Nowadays it's all so homogenous, most of the cameras (the few manufacturers that are left) look and feel the same, they have similar sensors, lenses, etc. We've been deprived of so many exotic and fun things like medium format rangefinders, dedicated panorama cameras, even small things like waist level finders are now almost extinct. I find it boring both emotionally and creatively, which is why I'm more exited to be shooting film again with old gear than the latest megapixel monster or 1DsXCwhatever from Canikon.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For me, i'd like the following in a new H5...

1. Faster start-up.
    2. We don't need more stinking megapixels, keep them as is.
    3. High resolution display.
    4. Four multi-function Buttons similar to the Credo.
    5. Higher ISO performance. Hell, give me a clean 800 and i'd be quite happy.

If 0% financing comes over here, i'd have to take a long hard look at upgrading to something new... i can't buy anything outright at the moment, but financing is certainly an option.

Post Thanks / Like

got to agree with symbol

also marcs comments on the uk market, things are certainly grim here at the moment well in my area most certainly this economic downturn seems to have fuelled the whole mags using amateurs shots for nothing but accreditation thing again know a few of my friends are struggling like crazy to survive and Ive not been far behind them recently if anyones got a job

dealbreakers for me for a new hassy.

1. better Iso performance

2. retina display of some kind thought the current one was pretty pants in comparison to what else is on the market bit more colour accurate

3.they can stick the mp 40 -60 is more than enough cleaner files though

4.maybe a little weatherproofing for those more ambitious shoots

5.dare I say to a 500mm lens now that would be brilliant for the wildlife stuff or for other stuff where a really long lens comes in handy

now dream spec wise imagine a hassy with 5 fps bit of weather proofing and a 500mm haha now that'd shake things up. medium format quality for long lens work.. heaven

only my humble opinion

Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think Hasselblad will have to be more inventive than any of us are here to really make a mark.

For example, I doubt any of us would have predicted the True Focus/APL innovation.

They have gone both ways in past ... a relatively incremental but costly change between the H3D and H3D-II cameras ... and a more inventive change between the H3D/H3D-II and the H4D with TF and other useful stuff including the double res LCD.

IMO, they will have to add more value to both the cameras and user experience to jog the market.

One thing that would instill more confidence would be an included combined 2 year all inclusive, 5 year depot warranty (with a small deductible) that is transferable. 5 years of warranty total would vastly improve trust and a sense of value in these uncertain economic times ... and improve the perceived re-sale value a lot.

The other thing that would garner my attention would be improvements to the current system while adding a new complimentary body with an H mount that could serve as a replacement for 35mm systems. Drop the H4 or 5 camera with 31 and 40 sensor, offering only a more studio based 60, 80 single shot and the 50/200 meg Multi-Shot ... and produce a smaller, faster HX-1 (mirror-less?) dual shutter body, higher ISO (a good 3200 or 6400 is enough for me) using a smaller 40 or 50 meg CMOS sensor, Live View, TF ... did I mention fast?

One set of lenses to full-fill many more tasks rather than two complete lenses systems. The 50, 80, 100 and 150 lenses would serve to keep it all relatively small ... and maybe add a smaller HX WA and a longer "bird" lens options from Fuji

I was struck by the above idea when Leica offered the full function H to S adapter ... in theory, if Leica produces a faster CMOS based S3 with LV, increased ISO performance, better AF as rumored, it will start to fill that function. As I've used the S2 over the past year or so, my 35mm system has fallen in use dramatically. The next step could eliminate it entirely, with any slack being taken up by the more innovative smaller cameras coming on strong.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First price reductions, now 0% finance deal!

0% Lease Purchase

Might be that this is the reason ? ? ?

Hasselblad to Unleash a Giant-Sensored Mirrorless Camera?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Might be that this is the reason ? ? ?

Hasselblad to Unleash a Giant-Sensored Mirrorless Camera?
    Now THAT would be interesting on so many levels. Looks like this year's Photokina might be an interesting one.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Haven't seen it mentioned but on top of the 0% finance deal, they are also running a buy one lens get then 2nd half price. That's one heck of a deal and it looks like they're targeting new customers, people who are not yet MFDB shooters. I hadn't believed it originally but now I do believe that they are reacting to the D800 and the forthcoming high megapixel Canon and Sony's.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A tempest in a tea-pot.

Hasselblad has always run these promotions, and even better ones in past, which had little to do with competition and everything to do with clearing inventory, or keeping production running at certain levels.

The recent price reductions were well warranted ... prices had been creeping up, but the economy has not improved as hoped ... in fact shows signs of worsening again.

In this case, we are just a few weeks away from Photokina, which could mean any number of things ... two that come to mind are a new camera as hinted at by Jurgen's post ... or they are late with R&D and have nothing of great substance for Photokina.

In either case, selling as much inventory as possible prior to Photokina is the prudent strategy. Think about it. Unless absolutely necessary, who would buy anything this expensive with Photokina looming on the horizon?

Coincidently, these promotions end on September 18, the start day of Photokina 2012. The cat will then be out of the bag one way or another.

It is highly possible that the promotions would be extended if remaining inventory is too high. Maybe even better ones. Who knows?

As to a new mirrorless CMOS camera with a giant sensor ... all I can say is that it had better be a quantum improvement in EVF technology, and the sensor had better not be bigger than the HC lens coverage. A new lens system being required would immediately take Hasselblad right off my shopping list.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

As to a new mirrorless CMOS camera with a giant sensor ... all I can say is that it had better be a quantum improvement in EVF technology, and the sensor had better not be bigger than the HC lens coverage. A new lens system being required would immediately take Hasselblad right off my shopping list.
    When they say giant sensor IMO they mean MPix not size. HB/Phase/Leaf are too locked into the 645 format to go much bigger. Even some of HB recent lens's aren't even designed to cover a full 645 frame.

Like you said, many HB users would find having to purchase a whole new line of lenses just too much of on upgrade in the present economic climate and the penny counters at HB must see this also.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, given the H lenses produce a circle not a rectangle, it is feasible that a square sensor camera could be produced ... which wouldn't break a lot of "Hasselblad Hearts" out there. Back to the Future!

A 53.7 X 53.7 sensor in a less bulky camera because it's mirrorless could be pretty interesting. The two HCD lenses would simply produce something like 52 X 52. On the current 60 meg back the HCD optics produce a 54 meg file by cropping a smidgen, but it is the software that does that. For portraits where edge performance doesn't matter, I don't even use the crop.

That would be one way to jack up pixel count without going to a teeny -tiny pixel pitch. With a 80 meg type pixel pitch, I'd guess a square would approach or breach the 100 meg barrier.

Then they could put it in a CFV back, and all the V users would be in Nirvana ...

(I'm humming the tune "Beautiful Dreamer" as I write this).

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, given the H lenses produce a circle not a rectangle, it is feasible that a square sensor camera could be produced ... which wouldn't break a lot of "Hasselblad Hearts" out there. Back to the Future!

A 53.7 X 53.7 sensor in a less bulky camera because it's mirrorless could be pretty interesting.
    Marc I think you're getting a bit over excited there buddy....a square 53.7mm sensor requires an image circle of at least 75.9mm which is about 8mm larger than what is required for a 645 chip...

Post Thanks / Like

Even a 48X48 sensor would be way too cool for all those MF photogs gone 35!
    Let's all grab our hands together and hope hard that there is a god after all.
    Eduardo

A 53.7 X 53.7 sensor in a less bulky camera because it's mirrorless could be pretty interesting. The two HCD lenses would simply produce something like 52 X 52. On the current 60 meg back the HCD optics produce a 54 meg file by cropping a smidgen, but it is the software that does that. For portraits where edge performance doesn't matter, I don't even use the crop.

That would be one way to jack up pixel count without going to a teeny -tiny pixel pitch. With a 80 meg type pixel pitch, I'd guess a square would approach or breach the 100 meg barrier.

Then they could put it in a CFV back, and all the V users would be in Nirvana ...

(I'm humming the tune "Beautiful Dreamer" as I write this).

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Marc I think you're getting a bit over excited there buddy....a square 53.7mm sensor requires an image circle of at least 75.9mm which is about 8mm larger than what is required for a 645 chip...
    Isn't the current sensor 54mm (53.7) X 40 mm? The current H lenses cover that side-to-side ... why not top-to-bottom if it is a circle?

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is about fitting square pegs in round holes. The sensor diagonal defines the image circle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Isn't the current sensor 54mm (53.7) X 40 mm? The current H lenses cover that side-to-side ... why not top-to-bottom if it is a circle?

-Marc
    Coz image circle needs to be ≧ sensor's diagonal to cover it...