The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CONTAX 645

L

London Calling

Hello ,
wondering if you can help , I have a lovely old Contax 645 Kit sat doing nothing , does anyone know if there was ever a company that made adapter
plates for Phase one backs to fit the Contax .
I recently discovered Kipon
adapter rings to let me use my Blad lenses on Canon 5d mk11's , these work
really well if anyone was thinking of trying them ..
Best Regards
LC...

engel001

There are still many Contax 645 in use today. I have found them very reliable and they are modular. All past and present Leaf and Phase One backs are available in Contax mount. I traded in my P25 a couple of years ago for a P65+ and you can go as high as the IQ180 or as low as around $5000 for an older P back still with stunning image quality. The mount on the back is permanently fixed and the selection of used backs for Contax may be limited. For a fee (? around $2000), a back with another mount can be factory switched to Contax. The Zeiss autofocus lenses make this a very appealing system. Lens prices are phenomenal when compared to current competitors or even top 35mm lenses.

Last edited:

engel001

The other way you could go is adapt your Contax 645 lenses to be used on Canon, with full automation and autofocus. You would need to get a NAM-1 adapter to Contax N (the modern, short-lived and sadly defunct 35mm autofocus system) and have it converted by Conurus. That will cost you altogether close to $2000 but you could use all of your Contax 645 lenses. I don't see the point of this with exception of perhaps the 120mm Apo Makro-Planar. Rather, I would recommend looking into a digital back, as discussed above. Regarding adapters, there are such by Contax (MAM-1, around $500) and third parties (cheaper) which would allow you to use your Hasselblad V lenses on Contax 645.