The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phamiya firmware?

smhoer

I have seen mention here of a new release of firmware for the Phamiya. I am planning to purchase one in a couple months. Since we have to send in the body to have Mamiya do the update (not sure the logic behind this simple procedure) I plan to hold off on the purchase for the new firmware as I have several phot trips planned (tied on to work related conferences) for the first few months of 09. I am hoping it addresses a couple of my wish list items.
  • For mirror lockup it should hold the mirror up for all exposures when in AEB mode instead of the current method of having to raise it for each exposure
  • A user assignable mirror lockup button that raises the mirror and does not lower it until pressed a second time
  • AEB range of more than 3 shots (I do some HDR work)

I do mostly landscapes (www.skylightimaging.smugmug.com). For those that use Phamiya what is your experience on turnaround time for firmware updates?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I was told this morning short delay until next week . We will most likely go through our dealers and Fed -x to Denmark. Waiting on final details on this. It should be very quick though.

I can't comment on what has been fixed because I don't know all they done but what several of us here have reported. Mirror lock up and such has been reported

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I was told this morning short delay until next week . We will most likely go through our dealers and Fed -x to Denmark. Waiting on final details on this. It should be very quick though.
Gentle correction Guy, the firmware update is done in NYC and should only take 1-2 business day turn around time with free return shipping.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer | Personal Portfolio

smhoer

Thanks Guy and Doug.

I currently use Mamiya lenses on a Zoerk shift adapter (Canon 1DsII) and plan to make the move to MFD (either P1 refurb or the new Mamiya/Leaf package). Now if Phamiya would just hurry up with the new version of the tilt/shift so we can see if the redesign is worth it (Doug??).

harmsr

Workshop Member
Doug,

Will this firmware update also take care of the body being able to handle the leaf shutter lenses that are coming?

Thanks,

Ray

carstenw

Guy, isn't your 80/2.8D a leaf shutter lens? I thought I read that in the recent D-lens announcement.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No mine is a new lens but it is not the leaf lens. The new one is a 80mm 2.8 D not sure what they are calling the leaf lens.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Will be happy to, but I'm going to wait until the firmware update is released and final before doing so. Less broken promise potential that way :).
My impression thus far is that anyone with 1.0 firmware will see big improvements, those with 1.1 firmware will see moderate improvements and those with 1.2 firmware will see minor improvements. But we'll see what makes it into the final cut.

It does, frankly, suck that the Phase One / Mamiya bodies have to go in for firmware updates. But its a quick turn around time, free (except shipping to the factory), and in any case is only required if you want the benefits. For most users, during the course of owning a body they might do this once or twice. For advanced users / gear heads / always-have-to-have-the-latest-and-greatest they might do it three time during the life of the body.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Will be happy to, but I'm going to wait until the firmware update is released and final before doing so. Less broken promise potential that way :).
My impression thus far is that anyone with 1.0 firmware will see big improvements, those with 1.1 firmware will see moderate improvements and those with 1.2 firmware will see minor improvements. But we'll see what makes it into the final cut.

It does, frankly, suck that the Phase One / Mamiya bodies have to go in for firmware updates. But its a quick turn around time, free (except shipping to the factory), and in any case is only required if you want the benefits. For most users, during the course of owning a body they might do this once or twice. For advanced users / gear heads / always-have-to-have-the-latest-and-greatest they might do it three time during the life of the body.

How can I tell what firmware my AFD III has? (I know how to tell for the Phase back - which of course one can update oneself, as I have,)
Bill

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
How can I tell what firmware my AFD III has? (I know how to tell for the Phase back - which of course one can update oneself, as I have,)
Bill
CF 36, then press the exposure comp button. The top number in the camera LCD is the body firmware, the bottom number is the lens firmware...

jdbfreeheel

Sorry for the (slight) highjack, but is there a list of the different firmwares of the various Mamiya AFD I, II, III, and Phamiya AFD updates/versions anywhere?

I have Jack's former AFD II and would be interested in seeing what firmware I have and what I 'could' have if I sent it in. I assuming the firmware check that Jack described will work on the AFD II also (I'm away from that camera right now).

I wish MAC/Phase would list there somewhere (website please) so, at the very least, we could decide if we want to send it in, or, possibly wait for the next firmware. I know there's a mention of an updated firmware for the AFD II for use with the ZD back (which I currently use), and only for some bodies (based on serial numbers) but the ambiguity is tough to understand.

Is it too much to ask for this info to be posted anywhere...hello...MAC/Phase? Is there anyone out there? ;)