The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phamiya firmware?

carstenw

Tim, about the TIFF format, DNG is a minor variant of TIFF, which is capable itself of storing all the usual data, so there is no inherent problem with that choice, even if it seems a little odd. I have written a little program which reads M8 DNGs, so I am somewhat familiar with the formats.

I am sorry that the first impression wasn't favorable. I hope it gets better. If everything continues this way, do you have the option of backing out? Don't forget that Phase One and Leica have made a deal, so there are better lenses on the way too.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, about the TIFF format, DNG is a minor variant of TIFF, which is capable itself of storing all the usual data, so there is no inherent problem with that choice, even if it seems a little odd. I have written a little program which reads M8 DNGs, so I am somewhat familiar with the formats.

I am sorry that the first impression wasn't favorable. I hope it gets better. If everything continues this way, do you have the option of backing out? Don't forget that Phase One and Leica have made a deal, so there are better lenses on the way too.
Thanks Carsten, that's useful info. IMHO one of the uses of DNG as a format (and therefore file extension) is to tell the photographer when browsing his/her catalog just when a file is an original and when it has been processed! Lazy of me but it's always been a useful guideline!

I won't give up. If it turns out that the unit or lens has issues, I'll get 'em fixed. Whatever the frustrations, this back has few competitors and probably none that meet my key checklist and I am sooo over dealing with 4 x 5 film. If Reichmann and others are correct in saying that a properly used P45+ can give files that equal or better drum scanned 4 x 5 film then I'm sure I'll end up pretty happy!

I'll sanity check the lens issue today but there is at least the possibility that too much M and R glass has made me picky....

FOr other P1 newbies I have, courtesy of Guy, discovered a top tip: the Mamiya instruction manual is much clearer than the P1 version.

http://www.mamiya.com/assets/pdfs/645AFDIII/645AFDIII_manual.pdf

;-)

Tim

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
I actually think he maybe wrong on that and was speaking of the back. I will double check all this out though. If there was something than it was a day or two apart so most likely no one got 1.3 and they may have actually fixed something else real quick because Jack did bring something up in a tele-conference on Wednesday. I forget what it was though. I think Jack , Bob and few others already sent there's in. I have to wait a week because of work, this is a good thing. LOL

It does take some time to get used to MF so do give yourself a chance. But it is fun. Just go out and shoot and get a feel for how it all works
Thanks Guy,I'd like to know the answer to that thought Jack's post was pretty specific about the FW 1.4 making changes to the operation of a number of issues relating to the body... I'll keep an eye out here for the answer!

yaya

Thanks Guy,I'd like to know the answer to that thought Jack's post was pretty specific about the FW 1.4 making changes to the operation of a number of issues relating to the body... I'll keep an eye out here for the answer!
I'll see if I can check it with Mamiya on Monday

PeterA

I am not upgrading - because it means shipping 1000kms to Sydney to have it done. This is a royal pain the bum for me. Look forward to firmwawre upgrades done in the way ( dare I say it?) EVEN LEICA can manage - user via download.

yaya

I am not upgrading - because it means shipping 1000kms to Sydney to have it done. This is a royal pain the bum for me. Look forward to firmwawre upgrades done in the way ( dare I say it?) EVEN LEICA can manage - user via download.
AFAIK the communication protocol on the AFDII/ AFDIII is quite primitive and doesn't allow transfer of firmware from the digital back to the body.

Uploading firmware requires a "black box" device which the Mamiya distributors had to order when the first update for the AFDII came out. On the AFDII it is done in the same way, hence why it needs to be sent in.

Yair

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
My Phamiya came back in 48 hours door to door.
Firmware version 1.4 was installed.
Everything seems in good order.
Even my focus arrows work in the right direction!
Totally painless.
-bob

yaya

My Phamiya came back in 48 hours door to door.
Firmware version 1.4 was installed.
Everything seems in good order.
Totally painless.
-bob
Thanks Bob, saved me the phone call :)

Yair

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! I should have mine on Monday and am looking forward to it.

Bob, how does the implementation of MLU and Self-timer work now? I assume that 1) any of the auto-exposure modes now lock on the first mirror up press, 2) that when at the MLU shutter position, the AF confirm "dot" and "arrows" function normally and 3) the ST itself does not reset to "off" and "10 seconds" when you turn the camera off?

Next, any perceived reduction in shutter lag?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
Yup,
MUP works exactly that way.
AF dot and exposure lock brackets stay illuminated at mup.
It still needs two shutter presses, one for mup, second to trigger the self timer.
Self timer mode and setting survives both a camera on-off cycle as well as a one minute battery removal.
Shutter latency is a bit better I think.
Instead of the camera taking a long breath before firing, it now takes a very short breath.
If they shave just a bit more off the shutter lag it will seem near instantaneous. Part of the issue I have found is the fairly long shutter release movement between full up and shutter release. I think that if they shorten up the physical throw a bit, the shutter latency will seem shorter still.
-bob

p.s.
I actually haven't tested post mup exposure sensitivity through the eyepiece yet, but I suspect that the exposure lock indicator might actually mean that it it really locked.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sounds very good Bob , they must have done something to get to 1.4 for release. That is good news and the turn time is great. Looking forward to sending mine in for these improvements.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If there was something than it was a day or two apart so most likely no one got 1.3 and they may have actually fixed something else real quick because Jack did bring something up in a tele-conference on Wednesday. I forget what it was though.
May have been the absence of manual focus confirm dot I mentioned I noted in 1.2, and possibly they had not caught it for 1.3 and did a quick fix to correct it for a 1.4?

Guy Mancuso

Sounds logical to me Jack , I do remember you bringing it up on Wednesday. i think it is very pro active of Phase to make that quick change before it hits the streets and 48 turn time sure makes this a good choice on what i bought.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt that is possible given sw turn-around times.

I bet it was in the works.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

you guys are starting to sound like fan boyz..
No but it is in my hand a lot and just want to put on my old shoes and work. So if everything is in order than it makes it a lot easier.. Shot all morning and have a several more gigs this week than goes in for new shoe laces. Shutter lag bugs me so this will help that now.

PeterA

No but it is in my hand a lot and just want to put on my old shoes and work. So if everything is in order than it makes it a lot easier.. Shot all morning and have a several more gigs this week than goes in for new shoe laces. Shutter lag bugs me so this will help that now.
love the analogy re shoes...

I am still comparing this versus that in Hasselblad and PhaMiya - least amount of lag? Alpa, second least Mamiya RZ...and the lag isnt consistent or present all the time either - be it in single or continuous aotofocus mode or Manual either ...