The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help please with new tech camera..

emmanuelcoupe

I have been reading for a while posts in this forum and it has been very informative place to get information about MF and tech cams in particular. Now the time has come to ask for your help.

I'm looking into Phase One p45+ / Cambo WRS, mostly for landscape and on occasion some architecture photography and I do a lot of long exposures.

I have thought of the D800 but having tried it and compared it to my existing camera the Canon 1Ds Mark III, it did not provide the quality leap that I need. I do like to print big and more importantly I look for optimal quality in tonal transitions and color fidelity as well as clarity and all around sharpness.
My questions are the following.

-First on the pricing, without accounting for the back would I be able to have the Cambo WRS and its accessories and two or even three lenses for aprox. $7-8K?

-I would like to have the ability for both tilt and shift, which long and wide lenses would fit my budget and you would recommend?

-In term of accessories what would I need?

-Anything else that I should consider?

If you know the pricing for each of your recommendations, please let me know.

jlm

Workshop Member
Cambo can supply Schneider and Rodenstock lenses in a tilt and swing base, allowing both movements simultaneously. shift both ways is also provided by the body. This is why i went with Cambo.

new those lenses with the t/s base are around $4-5K each

Don Libby

While you don't mention where you are I'd strongly recommend contacting one of the site supporters here specifically Capture Integration but then again I'm biased.

Speaking from personal experience I've found the Cambo WRS/.P45+ a great combination having used the very same setup for several years. While I no longer use the P45+ I'd still highly recommend it.

A reputable dealer should be able to help you in obtaining a slightly used WRS as well as the P45+. Likewise they should be able to help you along the way in getting the lenses you're looking for. While I don't use tilt I have been using Schneider lenses with good success (35, 72 and 120).

As to accessories and here you might want to sit down. A very sturdy tripod if you don't have one. Also think about getting the Arca Swiss Cube as it has been by far the best head I've ever owned. You could get a Cambo viewfinder and mask for your lenses however I went 18-months before getting mine so you can do without it for awhile (just my opinion). You can also do without a lenses shade by using a hat or hand but eventually you'll find you need that other hand and might want to look into either a flare buster of Cambo's new lens hood; neither is perfect but one is cheaper than the other and you'll need to feel yourself through your own workflow.

The one thing to consider is that using any technical camera is a slow deliberate process where nothing is automated. Also just thought of another accessory - some type of measurement device such as a Fotoman or Leica D5 laser (I have them both and use them regularly).

There's more but I'll let other chime in.

Don

Oh and by the way welcome to GetDpi!

dick

Cambo can supply Schneider and Rodenstock lenses in a tilt and swing base, allowing both movements simultaneously. shift both ways is also provided by the body. This is why i went with Cambo.

new those lenses with the t/s base are around $4-5K each
This is a very good reason to get something like a Sinar - full (camera body) movements with all lenses, which you can pick on eBay for a few hundred... now I want £15,000 to convert my lenses to eShutter!

Last edited:

gazwas

Oohh, first rule of MFD.

1. Never ask for purchasing advise on getdpi.com :ROTFL:

Before you know it you'll have bought and sold 3 digital backs, own 3 cameras, 11 lenses, 4 tripods and a bag full of accessories you don't know what to do with. Love this forum. :thumbs:

kdphotography

Oohh, first rule of MFD.

Before you know it you'll have bought and sold 3 digital backs, own 3 cameras, 11 lenses, 4 tripods and a bag full of accessories you don't know what to do with. Love this forum. :thumbs:
Being that this is Dante's Inferno we're talking about, I thought about reporting this to a moderator, but didn't see a button, so liked it instead... Hell, didn't we used to have a Buy button instead?

:ROTFL:

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oohh, first rule of MFD.

3 cameras - √
11 lenses - √
4 tripods - √
Bags o' stuff - √.
3 digital backs - :facesmack:

I'd better get started....

-Matt

pophoto

Being that this is Dante's Inferno we're talking about, I thought about reporting this to a moderator, but didn't see a button, so liked it instead... Hell, didn't we used to have a Buy button instead?

:ROTFL:
At least we'll all be walking rings together in camera weighted cloaks!

kdphotography

I think you can cut corners on the Cambo tech camera by opting for the WRS1000, which is the base model without the wooden grips. Estim ~$2700. WRS1050 adds wooden grips (worthwhile) but adds ~$1K. WRS Anniversary Edition AE adds more polish and several more $$$. Phase-Mamiya adapter plate for Cambo is ~$400 or so.

Best bet would be to determine the best focal length for your photography. My choice is the Rodenstock HR40 on t/s panel, which is a really good match for me. ~$5K

It's been awhile since I used the P45+, but if your eyes are good, then it's really not too difficult to frame your shot with the LCD rather than a viewfinder. Otherwise a finder is ~$800. Don't forget masks. Apple iphone holder is another option and runs about the same amount of money. Frankly, I've found the IQ series LCD is a game changer in terms of usability and framing; I have no plans on buying a finder.

Kapture Group cable runs about ~$400.

Good tripod and Head. RRS TVC series and Arca Cube or new D4 is a good match. Cambo leveling head is also an option.

WRS 1090 compendium bellows runs about $600-700.

The most difficult thing is keeping focused on the equipment/gear that you really need for your photography as opposed to: "ooh, shiny..." :grin:

There really is something to be said about using a technical camera with a MFDB. Aside from the quality, it just is simply more satisfying. And all too often that personal enjoyment factor is overlooked everytime a new camera body is released. I'm still in the Canadian Rockies this week and with photographic enjoyment in mind, I brought only my Cambo with one lens only (HR40) and an IR converted little Panasonic GF1. No Phase DF. No DSLR. My camera hiking pack went from ~50 lbs to ~15 pounds total using my new Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW. I couldn't be happier!

I hope you enjoy the Cambo as much as I do! Give Capture Integration a call, maybe do a tech cam workshop and find out more about putting together a rig that matches up with your needs---and enjoyment.

ken

Mr.Gale

Oohh, first rule of MFD.

Are you talking about Guy?

Hi Emmanuel
Well, I've just made the jump from 35mm digital to MFD with exactly the outfit (more or less) that you are considering.
The P45+ back cost me £7500 plus VAT. The Cambo Wide DS with 24 and 35XL lenses cost £5500. Both second-hand. The lenses had centre filters included. You'll need a Kapture Group cable for the P45+ - these cost nearly £300 in the UK. The only other item I've found necessary is a flare buster as these lenses are sensitive to direct light.
I used lens tilt with my 24 TS-E II and 1DsIII all the time as I found depth of field an issue. I also used a polariser a lot just to try to get some colour in the images. I've found lens tilt is less of a necessity because the Schneider lenses have fantastic depth of field (far greater than 35mm lenses) and the P45+ back's colours are so good I use a polariser far less. It wasn't an easy transition (or cheap) but it has been completely worth it.

You may find my blog post, about the transition to MFD, of interest: Richard Osbourne Art Images | A New Camera! The Odyssey from 35mm Digital to Medium Format Digital Photography

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
:thumbs: This should be the forum by-line i think.

Btw, guilty! :grin:
I dunno, Graham, I could make a case for shiny. You know, "life is short", "use what motivates you", "you're going to buy it anyway, so make up a good story". That sort of thing. :ROTFL:

--Matt

Carboat

fyi, selling a Cambo wrs, P45+, 35mm, 70mm with tiltpanel, and 120mm (normal not macro) with misc. (one shot cable, batteries, Pelican case etc.)
Apologies for misposting if there is a for sale thread didn't see one.