The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bodies accepting 35mm lenses

Pierrard

Hello,

I've been looking through some bodies for medium format backs (645 bodies; Cambo, H-Cam; view cameras; etc), and I'm wondering if the H-Cam is the only body which has the ability to accept 35mm lenses (with large enough image circles, of course).

Unfortunately, the widest angle lens I can see for MF (that's not fisheye) is in the 35mm range (eg Mamiya). Since on MFDB that will look like a 28mm shot on full-frame, I'd like something a little wider, and was looking at TS lenses from Canon/Nikon.

Thanks!

yaya

Most 35mm lenses do not have a big enough image circle to cover MF sensors. You can google Kapture Group TrueWide, Horseman Digiflex and Cambo Mini Wide to see some of the bodies that used to take 35mm lenses (Nikons mostly)

SLR-type bodies e.g. Mamiya 645DF cannot take smaller lenses since the body is too deep to allow infinity focus.

The H-Cam is an exception since it can mate the excellent Canon 17mm and 24 mm T/S lenses (both with a large image circle) to even the largest, highest resolution MF backs

Yair

Last edited:

Pierrard

Thanks for the info; the TrueWide looks especially interesting, as it seems to be the only option without a 24x36mm mask in front of the sensor. Are they common used? I didn't see any on eBay.

ondebanks

Thanks for the info; the TrueWide looks especially interesting, as it seems to be the only option without a 24x36mm mask in front of the sensor. Are they common used? I didn't see any on eBay.
The Sinar M modular system can also be configured with 35mm format lenses (Nikon, IIRC) and a 35mm viewfinder, and it doesn't mask the image to 24x36mm. But I suspect that one is restricted to using Sinar DBs with it.

Ray

dick

Hello,

I've been looking through some bodies for medium format backs (645 bodies; Cambo, H-Cam; view cameras; etc), and I'm wondering if the H-Cam is the only body which has the ability to accept 35mm lenses (with large enough image circles, of course).

Unfortunately, the widest angle lens I can see for MF (that's not fisheye) is in the 35mm range (eg Mamiya). Since on MFDB that will look like a 28mm shot on full-frame, I'd like something a little wider, and was looking at TS lenses from Canon/Nikon.

Thanks!
See Schneider compatibility

34mm focal length is OK with the Sinar P2 (5 *4) so it should be with the P3 (MF), especially with the special sliding back.

I have a P2/P3 conversion Wide-Angle bellows an I might try my SK 47XL in a 35mm recessed P2 lensboard on my P3... so that I can operate the lens without having to use an electronic shutter.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
MF SLR - 28mm MF SLR lenses from Mamiya and Hasselblad
- Advantages: Autofocus, Autoexposure, Through the lens composition. By far "easiest" option. Easy to hand hold.
- Disadvantages: lens quality is good, but not excellent (much better if using a sub-frame back like the IQ140 since you don't see the extreme corners). No movements (other than in post-processing).

TECH CAMERA - 23mm to 35mm lenses from Schneider and Rodenstock lenses on a tech camera
- Advantages: Best lens quality, bar none, including lenses which show nearly zero distortion (though some, like 23HR and 32HR do have notable distortion). Very durable/traditional/simple/tactile shooting experience. Great for stitching. Some are hand holdable.
- Disadvantages: requires most expertise/learning-curve to operate. Focusing/composition options are limited (some ground glass options, sliding back options - many users opt not to have any through-the-lens focus/composition option). Requires lens-cast correction.

VIEW CAMERA - 23mm to 35mm lenses from Schneider and Rodenstock lenses on view cameras
- Advantages: Largest range/selection/independence of movements. Most traditional and most compatible with film workflow (if you want to shoot both film and digital). Can be (relatively) inexpensive on pre-owned market.
- Disadvantages: Large/heavy. VERY hard (some would say impossible on a practical level) to get proper focus, even on a precise view camera. Requires steep learning curve. More or less limited to tripod. Requires lens-cast correction.

H-CAM - 35mm dSLR lenses using an H-Cam, but only those with a large enough IC like the 17TS and 24TS
- Advantages: Less Lens Cast than a tech camera, electronic control of aperture/shutter-speed, absolute widest available (17mm on a FF back).
- Disadvantages: movements limited to what's available in the lens. Ideal stitching requires tripod lens adapter (so lens stays stationary). More or less limited to tripod. Larger/heavier than smaller tech cameras.

Obviously this list of advantages and disadvantages is a quick summary. Like any summary there are many exceptions and points that could be intelligently disputed and there are many other factors to consider. So please don't take anything above as "absolutes" just meant to help you introduce you to the range of options and generally why people opt for one or the other.

A good dealer is your best bet (in my highly biased and self-interested opinion - see signature) to get into more of the nitty gritty advantage/disadvantages and see/test/explore these options and decide which one best fits your needs/wants/tastes/budget.

Pierrard

Wow, thanks for the detailed responses!

@ondebanks: you're right, Sinar backs only, unfortunately. But a nice system.

@dick: great resource there, thanks.

@dougpeterson: thanks for the rundown comparison between formats, that really helps in figuring out what kind of system would work best for my situation.

Don't worry about the visualizer though - I've been using a field of view calculator on various formats to see what each would look like already. I very often do wide-angle shots, which is my reason for asking.