The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Issue with new Tech camera

AndyPtak

I just got a Cambo RS and when I'm trying to shift the back in order to do a series of stitched shots, I find myself jiggling the camera a bit, no matter how careful I try to be. I'm using a sturdy tripod and head.

Is this a case of a new camera just having to loosen up a bit, or do I need to keep working on my technique?

jlm

Workshop Member
my cambo WRS shifts easily enough, both ways, that i can do it without moving the tripod or the camera on the tripod. I am using a cube with a RRS screw clamp and the RRS camera plate.

Don Libby

Andy - how much of a jiggling is actually going on? In my experience it should never take more than a medium touch to make adjustments, but then again I use a Cube about 98% of the time.

Not knowing any better it sounds more like a tripod/head concern than the camera. Please give us more information if you can.

Don

kdphotography

It doesn't sound right to me, Andy. Camera might need to be checked out.

I can shift for stitched images very smoothly and quickly with ease, almost with the speed of "hit-and-run photography that would make Don cringe slightly... No "jiggling" here, though.

Just back from Canada and I wasn't using my most stable heavy tripod platform. RRS TVC24, RRS leveling base and PCL-1 as my low profile head. No issues, though not as fast as the Cube to level.

FromJapan

I have no experience with the RS, but I used a Cambo Wide DS for ~3 years. Movements were always smooth, and as Don says, needed only a medium touch. There definitely was no jiggling. Perhaps your camera or tripod isn't locked down properly. I use a Slik Grand Pro tripod and a Manfrotto 405 head.

Kumar

Steve Hendrix

I just got a Cambo RS and when I'm trying to shift the back in order to do a series of stitched shots, I find myself jiggling the camera a bit, no matter how careful I try to be. I'm using a sturdy tripod and head.

Is this a case of a new camera just having to loosen up a bit, or do I need to keep working on my technique?

Andy - be sure that your tripod/head is stable and sturdy. If you feel "jiggling" is occurring, try to be sure of where it is originating from. While shifting a tech camera can result in some vibration, the amount of it, and the effect from it, will depend greatly on the support.

Also, if this is your first time using it, you might notice that after shifting completely from left to right and back a few times smoothes things out. I've noticed on occasion that a new shift camera can be a bit stiff at first.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration