Site Sponsors

Thread: Issue with new Tech camera

Post Thanks / Like

Issue with new Tech camera

I just got a Cambo RS and when I'm trying to shift the back in order to do a series of stitched shots, I find myself jiggling the camera a bit, no matter how careful I try to be. I'm using a sturdy tripod and head.

Is this a case of a new camera just having to loosen up a bit, or do I need to keep working on my technique?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Issue with new Tech camera

my cambo WRS shifts easily enough, both ways, that i can do it without moving the tripod or the camera on the tripod. I am using a cube with a RRS screw clamp and the RRS camera plate.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Andy - how much of a jiggling is actually going on? In my experience it should never take more than a medium touch to make adjustments, but then again I use a Cube about 98% of the time.

Not knowing any better it sounds more like a tripod/head concern than the camera. Please give us more information if you can.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't sound right to me, Andy. Camera might need to be checked out.

I can shift for stitched images very smoothly and quickly with ease, almost with the speed of "hit-and-run photography that would make Don cringe slightly... No "jiggling" here, though.

Just back from Canada and I wasn't using my most stable heavy tripod platform. RRS TVC24, RRS leveling base and PCL-1 as my low profile head. No issues, though not as fast as the Cube to level.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with the RS, but I used a Cambo Wide DS for ~3 years. Movements were always smooth, and as Don says, needed only a medium touch. There definitely was no jiggling. Perhaps your camera or tripod isn't locked down properly. I use a Slik Grand Pro tripod and a Manfrotto 405 head.

Kumar

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AndyPtak View Post
    I just got a Cambo RS and when I'm trying to shift the back in order to do a series of stitched shots, I find myself jiggling the camera a bit, no matter how careful I try to be. I'm using a sturdy tripod and head.

Is this a case of a new camera just having to loosen up a bit, or do I need to keep working on my technique?

Andy - be sure that your tripod/head is stable and sturdy. If you feel "jiggling" is occurring, try to be sure of where it is originating from. While shifting a tech camera can result in some vibration, the amount of it, and the effect from it, will depend greatly on the support.

Also, if this is your first time using it, you might notice that after shifting completely from left to right and back a few times smoothes things out. I've noticed on occasion that a new shift camera can be a bit stiff at first.

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller