The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Diglloyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shashin

With so many free review sites and information on products, why pay? If you are a gear head, it might be entertaining.

More thorough and less opinionated than say Rockwell, useful information on Zeiss lenses, but still his viewpoint is very narrow.

Jay Emm

He offers a one-on-one consultancy on Mac matters, which I found very useful. It helped me spec out a Mac in a few ways I hadn't considered/known about.

Oren Grad

With so many free review sites and information on products, why pay? If you are a gear head, it might be entertaining.
Because the information he provides on the equipment he tests in detail - especially the lenses - goes far beyond what you'll find on any free site, and in ways that matter for picture-taking, not measurement hair-splitting.

I had a subscription to his Zeiss reviews for a year. I didn't continue it, because I learned what I needed from it at the time. But I was satisfied with the value I got for my money.

If I were in the process of spending many thousands of dollars to assemble a high-end kit in any of the systems he covers in detail, I'd subscribe again to whichever of his offerings was relevant to the decision at hand, and would consider it money well spent.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
My opinion/theory is that each photographer goes through their own learning curve. When I started with digital photography, I found Lloyd's site immensely helpful in a number of ways. Reading several of his articles helped me understand what one might expect from digital and I really appreciated his objective testing approach.

Several years later, I would most likely consider a subscription if I was to contemplate an expensive investment in unfamiliar gear that he's tested.

The value is definitely there depending on your situation and goals.

Best,
Tim

Shashin

Because the information he provides on the equipment he tests in detail - especially the lenses - goes far beyond what you'll find on any free site, and in ways that matter for picture-taking, not measurement hair-splitting.
I find plenty of information from different free sources with which to come to good conclusions for my purchases, including lens information. (In one case, I would have made a bad lens choice if I had followed his advice--no one is perfect--but the overwhelming evidence contrary to his view made me sure of my purchase.) I doubt the added detail from Diglloyd would have resulted in a different conclusion. I certainly would not want to base a decision from one source only, being Diglloyd or anyone else.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I find plenty of information from different free sources with which to come to good conclusions for my purchases, including lens information. (In one case, I would have made a bad lens choice if I had followed his advice--no one is perfect--but the overwhelming evidence contrary to his view made me sure of my purchase.) I doubt the added detail from Diglloyd would have resulted in a different conclusion. I certainly would not want to base a decision from one source only, being Diglloyd or anyone else.
I have been thinking the same, but I also made number of mistakes when following (believing) the outcome from non-pay sites.

I only can say the Digilloyd is worth the money so far! And I hope it stays that way in the future!

Shashin

I am not sure I "believe" what is on the internet. I certainly take any extreme conclusions with a grain of salt, whether glowing or damning. We are simply talking about cameras and lenses after all--not miracle drugs. And I would not take an unsupported claim as having any weight. One advantage of a site like Diglloyd, paid or unpaid, is the number of reviews and the consistency of the testing. It is much harder to see the value of results from random tests. But even those have value.

Perhaps the OP could chime in here and state why he is thinking of getting a subscription. I think that would allow better feedback. To be honest, there is no harm in subscribing or not subscribing.

Oren Grad

I don't agree with all of his conclusions, and I think he makes mistakes from time to time. He's human, like the rest of us. One should read his reports with a critical eye, just as one reads those from other sources, free or paid. Where the stakes are high - lots of money being spent, critical applications - it's always wise to seek multiple sources with different perspectives and evaluation approaches.

He provides plenty of valuable raw material, often not found elsewhere, to which one can apply one's own criteria of merit. More power to him.

Stefan Steib

I can only recommend Lloyds site to anyone. Making sharp images is one of the best sources of insight info´s on otherwise nowhere described stuff. Even I had some "AHA" moments reading it and after 37 years of Photography once again he digs out stuff new to me that others simple look over.

His Mac test site is real useful too, if you want to know about your gear a subscription is paying back manifold.

Highly recommended !

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Admin note: This same question has appeared in 3 separate forums and has generated some controversy in at least one, so I am closing all 3 down. I understand and respect everybody's stance on this one -- the phrasing of the OP's question does bring up the concerns mentioned, and it did generate some snarky responses. But snarky falls short of rude and why I let it ride. However, at this juncture I am going to close all 3 threads before they head further off course. Thanks to all who have participated so far, and let's wait for the OP to gain some traction and hopefully rephrase a single new question should he desire more information than already supplied.

Status
Not open for further replies.