Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Newest MFD member....

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Newest MFD member....

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    did you try it with the camera mounted to the tripod instead of the lens? That's what I'm thinking of trying. I think I get better results most of the time now without the lens support using my 300 and the DF mounted to the tripod.
    Wayne

Yes I tried camera on tripod with no collar or support, lens collar on tripod and lens collar on RRS mount. I didn't try body on RRS mount with front rollers only - is that what you were thinking of?.

I didn't find the lens/no collar vs lens with collar on tripod to be very different this time around although the light was dropping so it was hardly a comprehensive test with short->long exposures. My new lens seemed to perform better than my previous one, particularly when mounted on the scaffolding! At the end of the day I just wanted to try the different combos with MUP in a situation I know well and see how sharp the results could be.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    One word of caution is that there is a significant problem using longer Mamiya lenses with a high res back like the IQ160 because of vibration issues with the mirror on the DF. I have never seen what I consider to be a sharp image made with the 300mm Mamiya, even where the camera was mounted on a tripod with MLU. It is one of the reasons I use a Hasselblad H2. The Hasselblad HC 300mm lens, like all of the HC lenses, is a leaf shutter lens and the images from it are exceptionally sharp, particularly if you can use MLU.
    Enjoy your shooting. I went to Tanzania last year and was lazy. I brought a new Panasonic GH2 and regret it.
    Hello Andy and welcome. I would humbly take exception with the above note. I shoot with a P1 DF, P40+ back and my Mamiya 500 APO and am quite pleased with the results. While my "keeper" rate falls somewhat short of those shooting the big VR lenses, what I do get right, is really right.
    Below are two recent images with accompanying crops to demonstrate my point. I might add that neither of these were shot with the mirror up as one might imagine given the nature of the subjects. I should add that none of these images were sharpened in post processing, what you see is what I got...as they say.
    If you can find a 500 APO, I would heartily recommend that you give it serious consideration.

Douglas Benson
    Last edited by pesto; 3rd August 2012 at 07:47.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Douglas, those are some seriously sharp images. Thanks for the recommendation on the 500mm. I am going to pick up the 300mm f/2.8 APO for sure, and that might be good enough for my purposes and style of photography for now, as I have a 2x teleconverter to go along with it to make 600mm f/5.6. It isn't something I want to do often, but I could do it in a pinch. Ideally I would have a 400mm lens that was on the fast(er) side, like f/4, but Mamiya never made such a lens. I did think long an hard about going with my IQ160 on a Contax system, as they have their 350mm, but in the end I went the easier route that has more support.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words Andy. I previously had the 300 f/2.8 APO and, try as I might, simply could not get acceptable images with this combination. The lens was fine by itself but invariably fell aapt when the 2X was applied.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info for me to remember! I always shoot on a bean bag in Africa, and I can always place a bean bag on top of the lens for added stabilization. Most of my images aren't in-your-face telephoto type shots, so 300mm will likely be enough for my needs. I do salivate over the 500mm, though. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Andy,
    Back in the ages of film photography, I was a very happy C645 shooter. It was a great system and the 350 worked well with the 1.4 teleconverter, but as you have pointed out, support is essentially absent these days. Here is one shot with the 350 sans TC:
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham,

Looking at your image above, I felt it worth commenting. I found that I got better (sharper) results with the 300/DF combo on the tripod if I removed the lens collar and mounted using to the body.

FWIW,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick update on my kit as of now. I have purchased a brand new copy of the Mamiya 300mm f/2.8 APO, 2x Mamiya teleconverter (used from B&H) and also the 200mm f/2.8 APO.

Those two lenses are pretty darned amazing, I have to say. For wildlife the manual focus and metering will be new to me (only spot metering is available), and I shove off for Botswana in less than 2 weeks to take it on its first real outing. After 13 days in Botswana I then head over to Namibia to run a PODAS trip. Kevin Raber and Bill Atkinson will be my co-leaders. Should be fun!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Jack,
    I am not certain as to what you are describing by,
    " ...removed the lens collar and mounted using to the body."
    Can you please elaborate a bit.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can probably answer that one - basically remove the collar and mount the body on the tripod head and not use the tripod mount on the collar on the lens. i.e. treat it like any standard smaller lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Graham, that is what I thought but this does seem a bit counterintuitive to me. I would have thought that the collar would be more supportive and better ballanced; but shall certainly give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My own personal finding was that there was a difference between the two copies of the 300mm that I owned. The first one which was an ex-rental lens didn't really perform that well unless it was used without the collar, and also only if I had a 4+ second mirror lockup delay before releasing.

The second new lens worked better with the tripod mount from RRS, particularly if I used a mirror lock up delay.

They both worked better with some damping on them via either long lens technique with your hand or a bean bag on top. My Nikon 200-400VR was the same on my D3x btw.

Neither worked as well with the tripod collar alone.