Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

Just read Pentax has 9 press releases next week. Some obviously 35 stuff but my bet a version 2 of the 645. The S2 and Pentax both need new sensors for anything new announced so it's going to be interesting as clues from Hassy, Pentax and Leica are starting to show up. Honestly I got my eye on Hassy as doing something unique in MF. The rest are maybe just some upgrades and improvements. BTW Nikon and Pentax are releasing on the 13th . I'm sure the rest will follow as Photokinia is very close.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would not be too surprised if the new Hasselblad would be a rebadged Fuji XPro. Easy to do, probably working for many people, a marketing coup that will immediately generate Turnaround. Ventizz is clever. They know that the MF market is shrinking. Bring the brand into another market segment where there is growth. Much easier than using the brute force method doing the full monty.

Let´s see what happens.....

Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Suggesting that Hasselblad rebadging the Fuji would be a marketing coup is an insult to Hasselblad fans.

I have an ALPA. Do you think I'd snap up a Fuji if they put an ALPA logo on it?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    I would not be too surprised if the new Hasselblad would be a rebadged Fuji XPro.
    I'd be flabbergasted and I doubt I'd be alone
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This would generate plenty NEW CUSTOMERS. Whatever the existing customers may say, additional turnaround in a mabe 3-5 fold larger scale could be pretty healthy for a company like Hasselblad. Just for better imagination - a max of 3000-5000 bodies sold a year at an average system price of maybe 15-20k compared to maybe 50-100000 cameras at maybe 5k$ (body at a higher price with 2 -3 lenses) will immediately nearly triple the tournaround. At 3k$ system price this would still be 150% gain.

Hasselblads most valuable asset is it´s brand recognition.

1+1=2

Anyone who would not take such a chance ?

regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "

Post Thanks / Like

If Hasselblad were merely going to produce a re-badged Fuji XPro then why the delay? The camera has been around the block and isn't without short-comings; I rejected it within weeks of release.

I don't doubt Hasselblad are seeking to considerably expand their user base but a re-badge wouldn't win many new friends or sales and would devalue that valuable brand recognition.

Perhaps a little more imagination, Stefan?
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What makes you think this must be exactly the same camera Keith ?
    Didn´t you think it may have been easy to use this body with a tad larger format, maybe factor 1,2 or 1,3 or a significantly higher resolution chip or both ? Sony´s Nex is 24Mpix a new APS-C Canon 7D MK2 will be about the same. The lenses are probably up to the task. A 24 Mpix body with some modifications, a better Imageprocessor and a refined finish on the Body design and a Hasselblad Logo on it may well be worth a 1000 $ more for many people.
    Spread some "handselected lenses with Hasselblad Logo" , quality improvement, better Swedish design.......stuff ....and there you have it.

Easy !

Regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Stefan, I'm on record as saying that further colaboration between Fuji and Hasselblad is likely and would be welcomed. What you are describing is not a re-badge.

Two weeks and counting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yes I am as curious as you are. This is what I would have done if it was my company. Fuji is not a premium brand, the pricing for a possible Premium Brand as Hasselblad is comparable to Leica, the margin is significantly higher. add this to the power of Fuji to build plenty of cameras - FAST - quite the opposite of Leica and then there is the one competitor who should really be concerned !

As I said - I estimate the new investors are intelligent people, well they are german and sometimes we tend to be very strategic.

Regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stefan,

You just post these silly things for fun, right? This isn't serious.

If you ran Hasselblad this is what you'd do. Great. Why not start a series of threads about what you'd do if you ran Hasselblad, and Leica, etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Quite frankly I would welcome a digital Xpan based on the new Fuji X-E1:
    Die kleine Schwester kommt: X-E1 von Fujifilm | photoscala
    (so that Stefan can also read it... )

I don't see any issue in "re-badging" etc.

Leica used Minolta zoom lenses for their R series: 70-200mm and 35-70mm come to mind.

Didn't bother too many R users.

Many Swiss watches use the same movement - doesn't really bother the end user.

Fuji lenses have always been valued for their excellent optics - long may this collaboration with HB continue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Building a user base with as many lenses sold as possible and postitioning a premium product on top of the camera line (even if it´s in another brand - see toyota-lexus, mercedes-AMG .....) has several adavantages:
    The costs for both go down. The image of the lower priced product is lifted. The technology for the highend product can be on par(featurewise as the entry offer) plus some features that can be "field tested" in the high end.

If they will do it, I would say : GOOD ! Because this will ensure survival of the MF part also which now can breath from the lowend and get money to devellop the premium products (MF) for keeping the image up !

Regards
    Stefan

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    Quite frankly I would welcome a digital Xpan based on the new Fuji X-E1.
    I somehow very much doubt that this would ever happen but if it did my wallet is sitting here open and ready to own one. I would buy a digital XPan in a heartbeat.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

didn't the Casio or something get rebadged as a Leica 3 something...?

I had one, thought it was great, lens was sharp, then I saw the grain in the red channel... OMG it was horrible... I had been shooting Fuji DSLR's (way ahead of everyone in terms of grain).

The Leica was a badge, a show off toy and had a sensor that was below Leica's standards however....

Many many new buyers came forth...

A revised, tweaked Fuji Xpro with a panoramic format rebadged as a Hasselblad xPan-D would bring them cash... and quickly, especially if it shot in DNG format.

If Fuji had to wait 6 months before they could release it even better.

I don't know why People poo-poo Fuji, their cameras have always been great... software in the DSLR's a few years back..maybe not, similar to the Xpro's annoyances but they make great high quality cameras.

Hasselbald could be on to something here... if they haven't done this then they should, just like someone should buy the 'Contax' brand name and make a cool solid point and shoot 4/3rds camera... G2-D anyone...?

S

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am going to go ahead and make a prediction on this one. I think Hasselblad will indeed issue a new line of cameras H5D that will all have the stainless steel finish. NO one has made the comment yet that I have seen but when Hasselblad released the H$D stainless, they said this:

"Introducing the H4D-40 Stainless Steel.
    A limited production run of 100 unique cameras that are a shining example of things to come."

I think Hasselblad's new H5D line up will all Have stainless steel finishes.

2. I think that Hasselblad's acquisition by Ventizz Captial Fund has given them the funds they needed to pay Fujifilm to build them the digital XPAN. i think that Fuji's quick introduction of the X-E1 fits really nicely into this theory because they are now offering the sensor of the X-Pro1 in a cheaper version of the XE1. This will give them room to introduce a new XPRO 1 shall I say XPRO2? The new digital XPAN will be a huge leap over any of the FUJI mirror-less cameras by having an expanded X TRANS sensor equivalent to the size of two Full-Frame sensors having roughly 65 megapixels. This introduction will allow FUJI to quickly introduce a Full frame XTRANS X-PRO 2 right on the heels of the Hasselblad XPAN. I don't think Hasselblad will allow for a completely rebadged 'same camera" sale like the original XPAN and Fuji TX-1 but some of the technology will obviously be shared.

3. Not related to this post, I think Phase One will replace the 645DF with both a mirrorless and mirrored cameras These cameras will have a far better focussing system like True Focus but will also be able to calculate Focus Stacking for help with landscape work working more closely with the IQ line of digital backs.

These are just my thoughts. I know I am making a lot of assumptions and anyone can shoot holes through my theories but that is the fun of it right? Photokina Madness! I am excited.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the idea of an XPan style of panoramic camera but I fear that these days the market is small and you could very easily argue that either cropping or combining images meets that need more cheaply and easier given the high MP available and processing technology. With film combining shots was a lot harder to achieve but now ...

As regards Phase One - I do hope that they take the opportunity to be radical about adopting digital capture and not be conservatively tied to film camera modes and incremental changes. Auto bracketing For DR and focus stacking AF are a couple of areas where they could make high end digital capture more productive and be an industry changer. I fear however that they'll just stick to more incremental improvements in their camera system to address the needs of the fashion and studio photographers. I sense that landscape folks are a low priority for them given their development work with the AFD / DF to date. I really really hope that I'm proven wrong.

Workshop & Subscriber Member manouch shirzad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Auto bracketing For DR and focus stacking AF are a couple of areas where they could make high end digital capture more productive and be an industry changer.
    Graham,
    I have been waiting for a long time to see these features in a Sony or Nikon camera, I'm sure someday these companies will get it.

________
    Manouch

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Manouch

You wouldn't think that these would be that hard in any camera these days would you? It is frustrating that companies just don't 'get it'!

Trust me, if I ruled the world every camera would have this plus an intervalometer, optional dark frame subtraction/LENR, tru-focus, built in GPS, plus a wireless remote control feature with image review on any tablet. But hey, that's just me

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop & Subscriber Member manouch shirzad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The technical part and artistic part of photography is in our hands but when it comes to the science part of photography, these companies follow the advice of their marketing departments, and what the photographers have in mind is their last concern.
    Even the slightest improvement that might be easily possible with a firmware update remains for a new model.
    _______
    Manouch

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who is really curious about what Photokina will bring should have a look at the Hasselblad pre-Photokina shoot on Hasselblad tv

Frans Rutten

Portfolio

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Anyone who is really curious about what Photokina will bring should have a look at the Hasselblad pre-Photokina shoot on Hasselblad tv

Frans Rutten

Portfolio
    Frans, I see nothing in that video that indicates anything new. The only odd thing is what appears to be a Broncolor transmitter in the hotshoe that is hard-wired to the camera (????).

Maybe the "Black Panther" means an all black camera

Whatever Hasselblad presents at Photokina later this month, it will indicate what influence the new 100% owners will be having in future. Whether their money and guidance got there in time to impact this Photokina remains to be seen.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by manouch shirzad View Post
    The technical part and artistic part of photography is in our hands but when it comes to the science part of photography, these companies follow the advice of their marketing departments, and what the photographers have in mind is their last concern.
    Even the slightest improvement that might be easily possible with a firmware update remains for a new model.
    _______
    Manouch
    I don't agree with this Manouch, at least of late. If improvements can be done with Firmware updates, Hasselblad has tended to make it available for both current and previous models. For example, when the firmware bumped up the top ISO for the current model, it was also available for previous models. All of the 31 and 39 meg backs enjoyed a one stop boost to 1600 and 800 respectively. When the newer H4D/60 received the double resolution LCD and e-spirit level, it was also made available on the existing H4D/50 and H4D/40.

Features that are hardware based, like going from a fan cooled back to a heat-sink, or a larger LCD, or TF/APL are exceptions of course.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Frans, I see nothing in that video that indicates anything new. The only odd thing is what appears to be a Broncolor transmitter in the hotshoe that is hard-wired to the camera (????).

Maybe the "Black Panther" means an all black camera

Whatever Hasselblad presents at Photokina later this month, it will indicate what influence the new 100% owners will be having in future. Whether their money and guidance got there in time to impact this Photokina remains to be seen.

-Marc
    In fact the video appears to be very bad news. Nothing truly new.
    But maybe the continuos lack of light means a CMOS sensor.

In the other hand, I hope they don't "rest on their laurels" in terms of camera or Phase One will crush them.
    As I said before, it's too early for the new owners to have a direct impact with a new fully Hasselblad product.

In my opinion if something truly new appears it will be:

1. The result of a partnership.
    2. The reason they decided to buy.

Best regards,

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

1. No.
    2. Yes.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just wait and see ?
    Of course Hasselblad would not give away any clou about a new product in advance (sorry Marc, could not resist the temptation).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think Phase are much of a threat to Hasselblad, particularly in Europe.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

_______
    Manouch
    That is just not true. The companies do care about the end user.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    In fact the video appears to be very bad news. Nothing truly new.
    But maybe the continuos lack of light means a CMOS sensor.

In the other hand, I hope they don't "rest on their laurels" in terms of camera or Phase One will crush them.
    As I said before, it's too early for the new owners to have a direct impact with a new fully Hasselblad product.

In my opinion if something truly new appears it will be:

1. The result of a partnership.
    2. The reason they decided to buy.

Best regards,

James
    It is neither good news, nor bad news. It is no news.

The "Pre-Photokina" title is a red herring. Maybe just some promo shots for the booth.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think a medium format mirrorless can be done yet, evf would suck, amongst other things, batteries would be eaten up.

What I think based on their big discounts of the H4D and not the lenses is that they have made an integrated camera much like a canon DSLR or the mamiya zd, that is a new market right there if the price is double a high end canon/nikon. It seems like the next step to me.
    That and most likely CMOS sensor with live view but i think the mirror is important still with medium format.
    Jason Denning
    www.jasondenning.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

They probably just want to make Aperture better, or iphoto.

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    If you really want to rev up your fantasy life, check out Apple hiring the former head of R&D at Capture One. What may Apple have up its sleeve?
    I thought I would finally be able to take a really good photograph when the new stuff comes out at Photokina 2012. Now I have to wait till Apple makes its move.
    Jason Denning
    www.jasondenning.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if it'll EVER happen, but it would be awefully cool if we got an Digital XPan with a MF sensor and a set of anamorphic lens that improves resolution in the vertical direction. Traditionally, anamorphic film camera used anamorphic lenses that stretched a wide aspect image vertically on the film in order to make use of the vertical space that would otherwise be unexposed. To transform the image back into a normal image, a corresponding anamorphic projection lens was used.

With some pretty basic image transformation software, you can essentially replace the role of the anamorphic projection lens and do the reverse transformation digitally. That way, you:

1) Use then entire MF sensor without having to source low-volume specialized sensors or wasting the top/bottom sensor area that doesn't get exposed on a normal sensor
    2) Makes full use of the allowable area for the sensor
    3) Have a true panoramic camera that has better resolution than one with the same sensor and cropping the image into a panorama
    4) It'd be something truely unique and one of a kind for photographers

Edit:
    5) It wouldn't directly compete with the Leica DRFs
    6) It would make all the existing leica DRF users drooling
    Last edited by BeeWee; 9th September 2012 at 20:39.

Post Thanks / Like

'Maybe the "Black Panther" means an all black camera'

Isn't there a black camera between 00:59 and 01:00 for a short moment?

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing is for sure. In smaller formats there is a rash of new and innovative products, from the Nikon D800/E, a new 46mp Canon rumoured, through Sony NEX, new mirrorless ful frame cameras, lenses, cameras that can take the dog for a walk for all I know.

The medium format digital world is lagging a long way behind while the smaller format world moves forward and may even catch up or at least close in on image quality.

We need Hassy and Phase to up their game - big time. Something new is needed to stimulate the market. It's no good going on with the same old same old. We need innovation. I hope that is what Hasselblad will offer.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    One thing is for sure. In smaller formats there is a rash of new and innovative products, from the Nikon D800/E, a new 46mp Canon rumoured, through Sony NEX, new mirrorless ful frame cameras, lenses, cameras that can take the dog for a walk for all I know.

The medium format digital world is lagging a long way behind while the smaller format world moves forward and may even catch up or at least close in on image quality.

We need Hassy and Phase to up their game - big time. Something new is needed to stimulate the market. It's no good going on with the same old same old. We need innovation. I hope that is what Hasselblad will offer.
    I for one am tempering general expectations as far as MFD is concerned. My hopes fall into two basic categories:

1) That the current trend toward innovation with-in the H system continues. Hasselblad has relentlessly provided me with many very useful features that upgraded the user experience for the work I do ... very specific features dedicated to MF imagery and workflow that gratefully does not include "walking the dog" or anything else I do not need or want So, more of the same is exactly what I hope for.

2) If Hasselblad does make a foray into other market opportunities, that it will be significant and innovative enough to distinguish itself from the "smaller formats". Although I seriously doubt those that favor the FF 35mm solutions will accept anything unless it is so mind blowing as to be obvious ... which I also seriously doubt, but remain hopeful for Hasselblad's sake.

In the end, I believe both Phase/Leaf and Hasselblad know their customers and know where the money is ... and as long as they cater to that crowd they will be just fine. In the process, they may let go of some market applications, while gaining other more specialized ones we here do not think of.

Yet, it is all speculation until the Fat Lady sings at Photokina.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For all the hype, I really do not see huge improvements in any of the formats. I find most claims overstating the "jumps" or "steps."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"You won’t find a more exciting booth at the fair than Hasselblad’s"

The above quote is from the latest Hasselblad bulletin. Surely this is not just hype that they cannot back up. There is something coming from Hasselblad, and I for one think it will be very exciting. In my opinion, Hasselblad was very far along with a new camera, and that was the incentive for the investment firm that purchased them.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As an H4D-50 owner, I am on the same page as you, Marc. Hasselblad make cameras first and its that skill that sets them apart, in my view, from Phase One. I am hopeful that Hassy are up to something big (or small, of you get my drift)...
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With Sony now announcing the RX1 (full frame mirrorless), I don't see how Hasselblad could release a Fuji based, modified APS-C sensor, digital XPAN as rumored. I really hope that they have something awesome to show.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, we are up to 187 posts speculating on what Hasselblad may release at Photokina. There are even a bunch of posts speculating about updates to the Hy6, a camera generally left for dead. Phase One, the supposed class leader? Total silence. Two possibilities. One, they have some major new products but are following a new approach of keeping a tight lid on the news. Second, they have nothing major to bother leaking. Of course, what is "major" is very debatable. At this juncture, if it is "just" a new body from Mamiya, I am not sure there will be much excitement.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is interesting from Pentax. An MFD lens with image stabilization and, yes, it has an image circle large enough for 6x4.5.

Pentax reveals HD Pentax D FA 645 Macro 90mm F2.8 ED AW SR stabilized lens: Digital Photography Review

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just read Pentax has 9 press releases next week. Some obviously 35 stuff but my bet a version 2 of the 645. The S2 and Pentax both need new sensors for anything new announced so it's going to be interesting as clues from Hassy, Pentax and Leica are starting to show up. Honestly I got my eye on Hassy as doing something unique in MF. The rest are maybe just some upgrades and improvements. BTW Nikon and Pentax are releasing on the 13th . I'm sure the rest will follow as Photokinia is very close.

Maybe this is the start of Pentax next step?

Pentax reveals HD Pentax D FA 645 Macro 90mm F2.8 ED AW SR stabilized lens: Digital Photography Review

There is hardly any question of the advantage that having an 35mm system gives to pentax.

Best regards,

James

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do hope that Phase One have a new body, the DF is pathetic enough but ours just died, mirror mechanism broken after 51,000 frames, all of which on a copy stand. So far that's the body, the AC adaptor and the cable release which have all broken in just 4 months and the shutter on the 80mm Schneider is sounding rather squeaky. They could do with getting their act together.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Auto bracketing For DR and focus stacking AF are a couple of areas where they could make high end digital capture more productive and be an industry changer.
    Graham,
    I have been waiting for a long time to see these features in a Sony or Nikon camera, I'm sure someday these companies will get it.

________
    Manouch
    Hello. Actually, you can already focus and HDR stack with the Magic Lantern firmware for Canon cameras, here's a video on how to do the focus stacking: https://vimeo.com/34582618

The HDR bracketing tool automatically analyzes the scene using the camera's metering and shoots the appropriate number of frames (or manually up to 9) in +0.5 to +4 Ev steps and can generate a script for Enfuse.

The amount of things you can do with it are just ridiculous, you should really try it out for yourself, the firmware is a lot more stable than it ever used to be.

MagicLantern.fm - Home

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    There is hardly any question of the advantage that having an 35mm system gives to pentax.
    Pentax has something better than a 35mm system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Pentax has something better than a 35mm system.
    Shashin:

I think James means that Pentax's experience with 35mm gives them an advantage in the design of MF.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I just received some stuff about a H5D.... lets read it. And it is not even a H5D80 A new 24mm and a new macro lens, that is nice!

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/h5d.aspx

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbak View Post
    I just received some stuff about a H5D.... lets read it. And it is not even a H5D80 A new 24mm and a new macro lens, that is nice!

H5D
    Yeah, I just got that also ... and an e-mail from my dealer.

Lots of interesting improvements, pretty slick looking also.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Shashin:

I think James means that Pentax's experience with 35mm gives them an advantage in the design of MF.

Tom
    ??? Their medium-format experience with 6x4.5 and 6x7 systems would seem more applicable. The Pentax 645 series film cameras were ground breaking in MF design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    ??? Their medium-format experience with 6x4.5 and 6x7 systems would seem more applicable. The Pentax 645 series film cameras were ground breaking in MF design.
    That didn't help with the design of software or user interface for the 645D, their experience with DSLRs did. If you haven't tried a K-5, you should. You won't need the manual, it operates just like the 645D.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

the answer is: Hasselblad H5D

H5D