Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad H5D and HCD 24mm

some info here: H5D

and in German here:

CALUMET PHOTOGRAPHIC - Calumet Photographic Online-Shop

Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbak View Post
    I just received some stuff about a H5D.... lets read it. And it is not even a H5D80 A new 24mm and a new macro lens, that is nice!

H5D
    Not to be a nelly negative, but it sounds like a few basic improvements with a lot of marketing hype to make them sound more like an entirely new platform...

When will these MF manufacturers -- and I guess I directly mean Phase, Leica and Hassy -- build us a really new camera platform, one with features that have been on Nikons and Canons for the last three generations at least? It's getting frustrating waiting.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,

Think about it. Why would Hasselblad release this prior to September 18th and spoil their big announcement? Yes, the H4 is getting a little long in the tooth and needed improvements. But if you think this is all Hasselblad has to offer, I think you will be dead wrong. And Phase is YET to bring their long awaited and long overdue camera to the market. If you are correct in your assessment, many Hasselblad owners will be sorely disappointed and doubting the future of Hasselblad.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Not to be a nelly negative, but it sounds like a few basic improvements with a lot of marketing hype to make them sound more like an entirely new platform...

When will these MF manufacturers -- and I guess I directly mean Phase, Leica and Hassy -- build us a really new camera platform, one with features that have been on Nikons and Canons for the last three generations at least? It's getting frustrating waiting.

Somewhere earlier, I already mentioned people should not be disappointed when there will only be something like a H5D (80). This is exactly what we got.

The H4D platform already is pretty good, it simply has been improved upon.
    I think many people where 'overexpecting'

I wonder if it has the battery solution....?

Well, maybe we get another surprise but I would not be surprised if this is it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I doubt Hasselblad would give up their "look" nor scrap their lenses. So with a defined flange distance and basic shape, what can they really do on the outside? The performance and features is where they can make improvements.

BTW, the announcement stated "evolution" not "revolution."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pretty sure that's it Greg (at least in the way of pro-line bodies/backs).
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post
    Jack,
    If you are correct in your assessment, many Hasselblad owners will be sorely disappointed and doubting the future of Hasselblad.

Greg
    Not only will many Hasselblad shooters be disappointed, so will many Leica and Phase shooters!!! My point is the MF market as a whole needs to drastically step up their game when it comes to camera bodies, or they will loose significant market share to high-resolution full-frame DSLRs. Moreover, I will go on record saying that next year may already be too late for them to release something on par with a 2-gen old DSLR. So huge kudos to Hassy if they do indeed announce something more spectacular than the H5D; kudos to Leica if a new S3 has a brilliant predictive multi-sensor AF and mirrorless live-view; kudos to PhaseOne if they release a DF replacement with brilliant predictive, multi-sensor AF, better reliability and new body styling. Personally I am not optimistic about any of the above happening, but I hope you're correct and prove me wrong...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Make a camera that is a joy to use and you will have customers. You can keep all your bells and whistles. Obviously the lack of AF on an Alpa TC has not hurt that company. And lets face it, an Alpa TC is just a spacer. I would not trade in my Pentax 645D for a Nikon D800. The Pentax is just too good even without Live View and the Latte machine.

What I want in a camera is a tool that gives me great results. A tool that inspires me. You can't put that into firmware.

Post Thanks / Like

Drastic changes to an existing platform or a course-change to an utterly new platform can be 'bet the company' moves in terms of R&D resources and market acceptance. There is more to get / go wrong than there is to get right -- be it for Hassy, Phase or anyone else.

As much as a X folks want massive 'tipping point' positive changes (as much as they'd be nice in any system) , there are many, many more who will not among pro users, rental shops, retailers. The first two will be "Economy sucks, jobs are harder to get, thinner $$ -- I can't play beta tester to the tune of $30K to get maybe, maybe marginally better pics. I know what I like to use and what performs for me (H or Phase), just make it better".

The latter are "I can 'sell' an H5D or Phase DF2 to my pro base easily as I can point to what it improves upon w/ a proven record -- some utterly new Ubercam w/101 unknowns is tougher."

Also - the more drastically you change your core platform, the more you risk polarizing acceptance -- and that opens some of your installed base to consider moving to the competition. Much better to say "...this is your H4D in black & SS, modest improvements across the board -- low risk".

Also when was that last time any camera maker -- 35mm or MF made ANY huge drastic sea-change?

The 35mm kids increase MP count and improve ISO performance. They tweak their AF systems from good, to "Why in the $%^ did they %^& with it !?" levels then back to good again. That's about it. No 35mm version of True Focus. No dual-shutter systems, no > 35mm sensors (huge installed lens base), no onboard RF control or triggering of units from a lighting partner (or even their own bloody speedlights). They tweak the basics, market it up the ying-yang and sell them hand over fist.

Yes, the high-end 35mm bodies like the 800e pose risks to MF land, but bear in the mind that the closer MF manufacturer's make their units look and feel like a larger high-end DSLR, the MORE they will be compared against same - and the more they'll need to (and maybe be unable to) justify the $$$ difference.

Anyway, just $0.05 from someone from the 35mm side of the fence who (despite the drawbacks of MF) lusts after things like TF, sync at 1600, > 35mm sensors with fat pixels and sensors you can clean w/o playing "Operation" every time.
    Last edited by robmac; 11th September 2012 at 09:54.

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad H5D Announced!

H5D

Looking forward to getting my hands on one at Photokina.

Cheers,
    Adam

--
    Adam Lerner | Photography | 718.219.3006

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad H5D Announced!

I am thinking a lot of people are going to be disappointed...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And THIS is it ?

Larger buttons and better JPG´s and a new lens..... ?
    Come on this is a joke !

Pffffffffff - this is the hot air from the announcement leaving the
    tension zone............

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    And THIS is it ?

Come on this is a joke !

tension zone............

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    Fully agree - just a new look and ergonomics will not really do I am sure

Post Thanks / Like

And THIS is it ?

Come on this is a joke !

tension zone............

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    Agreed in that it looks like similarly with the H4D, the sensor remains the same with enhancements made to the camera and operating system. Even the press announcement emphasizes that it's an evolution, so nothing revolutionary here. The improved ergonomics, bigger better screen along with faster processor and potentially more reliable tethering are all enticing, however I don't think it's enough to entice me to upgrade from my H3DII. Beside image quality, workflow is perhaps equally if not more important, and it would seem that Hasselblad is responding to that with the H5D. Either way, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one at Photokina.

--
    Adam Lerner | Photography | 718.219.3006

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These threads are interesting (up to a point). Perhaps it would be helpful to explain the basis for your complaints.

Is it that Hasselblad dropped the ball by not making a camera that has features available in Canikons, or that Hasselblad doesn't know how to make cameras? I.e., are you criticizing their business model or their product?

I thought Hasselblad made pretty good cameras. (Derek's photos always looked good to me.) Now I read that the improvements they've announced are crap. I thought ergonomics was a big deal. I guess I missed something.

Post Thanks / Like

Common guys, at least it's finally black.. well, partly

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not enough information in this pre-Photokina "soft launch." Nice hints, but I'd need some very specific info about some of the improvements ... especially stuff like AF improvements, motor-drive speed, and faster internal processors.

No mention of increase resolution on the LCD, although the current 2X res one seems fine, more would've been even better. Is the silver body portion chrome or silver paint? ... hard to tell. How much more "compact"? Etc.

No mention of my biggest wish: dual shutter

The H system is viable as it is and has steadily improved over time. IF it can be made faster and even more accurate, that is a good thing. Question is to what degree and at what price? I can easily remain quite satisfied with what I have, and there are competitors for my war chest which is like the "Highlander" movie ... there can be only one So, I'll wait to see what Leica does with the M and S and then make a decision.

At any rate, regarding Hasselblad or anyone else, I do not think we will know everything until the 18th.

-Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cameras, for all intents and purposes, are one-trick ponies. They take pictures. I have always thought Hasselblads do that very well. What more do you want? A little toaster oven on the back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bengt Nyman View Post
    Here are two original quotes and calibration points for expectations about Hasselblad 2012:

--- "We are proud to have such an iconic brand in our portfolio and are convinced that with solid financial support and a suitable growth strategy, Ventizz can further strengthen Hasselblad's position as the first-class producer of medium-format digital camera systems. Furthermore, we plan to develop Hasselblad cameras to appeal to a wider circle of ambitious photographers,"*said Helmut Vorndran, managing partner and CEO of Ventizz Capital Partners. ---

--- Hasselblad CEO Larry Hansen said his company is looking forward to exploring "brand new markets". ---
    Well Stephen,I cannot see how this is going to work.
    No 80 Mpix, No CMOS, No Live view. And still pricetags that will deterre even more photographers and send them to the 35mm users camp.
    And if Larry Hansen means a brand new market for larger buttons.......

I cannot even laugh about that..........

regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

tension zone............
    Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    This is only what everbody could expect or expected .
    A kind of face-lift .
    HASSELBLAD never let the cat out of the bag earlier than the PHOTOKINA started . No difference to any PHOTOKINA in the past .
    So there are surely some more exciting things to come .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

From the H5D promotion: "And if you think 35mm is good enough for this stage of your career, then you’d better hope that your clients are also willing to settle for “good enough”. The best clients, however, are almost never willing to settle for “good enough”. And why should they, when there are photographers out there who can provide the best?"

Ahhhh... FUD, the best type of marketing... or was that a sign of a weak business case?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The interesting thing is from all the folks bashing Hasselblad many of you do not use Hasselbald cameras and probably never will. And a large number of you use tech cameras. Why the angst? Seriously?
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    The interesting thing is from all the folks bashing Hasselblad many of you do not use Hasselbald cameras and probably never will. And a large number of you use tech cameras. Why the angst? Seriously?
    First off, I am not "bashing" Hasselblad or any other manufacturer. What I am doing is complaining loudly TO ALL OF THE MANUFACTURERS that shooters want and expect more than incremental advancements to the bodies. All of them are 5 years behind what DSLRs are offering and frankly I think that's pathetic. I appreciate several of you may not want or need any of those advancements, but many do. Again, my complaint is irrespective of brand.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Why not full black "panther" body? half metal grey and black?
    Its the new black HVD 90x viewfinder compatible with the olds H3D and H4D? and the new battery grip? its retro-compatible too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

>>>What I am doing is complaining loudly TO ALL OF THE MANUFACTURERS that shooters want and expect more than incremental advancements to the bodies.<<<<

Exactly Jack. Hasselblad became "HASSELBLAD" because Victor Hasselblad had a brilliant idea in 1941 which was shaped during the last 71 years.
    HE was a REAL INNOVATOR
    But hey - Innovations last for some time but wouldn´t it be time to be brave and curageous and show the world that the potential of this company is not only in refinement of a 71 year old idea ?

It´s overdue !

Regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

And THIS is it ?

Come on this is a joke !

tension zone............

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    The Canon 1DX looks like a Canon 1D Mk IV. I don't understand your POV. There are a lot more points mentioned in the release than only larger buttons.

S.
    www.stanROX.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Also when was that last time any camera maker -- 35mm or MF made ANY huge drastic sea-change?
    Canon with the 5D Mk II.

They spawned an entire new industry with that camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks more like an H4D MkII than an H5D. Not a compelling upgrade proposition for an H4D owner. We need revolution not evolution. The new, smaller, S2 type
    Hassy. Where is it? I like Shashin's toaster idea. I like toast.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stan ROX View Post
    The Canon 1DX looks like a Canon 1D Mk IV. I don't understand your POV. There are a lot more points mentioned in the release than only larger buttons.

S.
    www.stanROX.com

You are right- the 35mm DSLR´s are as old in their concept and also reaching the end of their lifecycle ! It seems clear to me that all this fast moving mechanics which makes a camera fragile, expensive and hard to build to last will soon be replaced by mirrorless, EVIL cameras of a hybrid breed between todays video and photo devices.

Real digital cameras will have ideas as the Nokia N808, as the new Nikon S800c Android based camera or Blackmagic´s or RED´s modular design.

An optical finder is a relict from the past. But we are looking into the future.

regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

It's true every year when a camera manufacturer or its representatives give announcement to something great to the future, it is merely incremental improvements that prove nothing more than evolutionary than revolutionary, and it's common.

I still remember Nikon's President or CEO saying the D4 will be revolutionary, sorry but it simply isn't. Neither is Canon's offerings, which I have bought into. Don't get me wrong, I am over the moon (exaggerated of course) with the improvements, but it isn't revolutionary, I think this is no different!

The Sony RX1 is revolutionary by comparison, since it is first to market, despite not being to everyone's cup of tea since not a ILS, and if Photokina 2012 we will see a fixed lens HASSELBLAD mirrorless MFD, it will be revolutionary, but perhaps played down for the same reasons, this is made up of course!

While I agree with Jack about being disappointed, at the end of the day it is what it is. Our words won't change any of this!
    Anyways isn't Photokina 2013 around the corner! Just saying! ;p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Anyways isn't Photokina 2013 around the corner! Just saying! ;p
    Nope.

Photokina 2014 is though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry, I don't understand. DSLRs are going through incremental changes. What has changed from the 5DMkII to 5DMkIII that was more than incremental changes to performance. How is my 645D any different from any other DSLR? No live view, but then it does have a CCD. 9-point autofocus that is tunable. Multi-segment metering. Intervelometer, multi exposure, bracketing and a host of exposure modes--it does not have scene selector exposure modes nor art filters, but that is OK.

And why should MFD manufacturers be expected to keep up with the bells and whistles anyway? (I can live without art filters, GPS units, and WiFi.) It never has been the case before. 35mm film cameras were always more sophisticate than their larger brothers and that did not seem to bother photographers then.

I don't know how photographers put up with Alpa, Arca Swiss, Rodenstock, and Schneider. Imagine you have to reset the shutter manually after every exposure. No AF at all. Where is the auto bracketing? Or even the exposure modes? It is about time that manufacturers automated camera movements, especially for the price you pay. Or are tech camera manufacturers exempt from the need to innovate beyond the 19th century?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, Stefan, when do we see some of this great innovation you talk about in one of your own cameras? I hate to call you out on this, but it is easy to criticize...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how photographers put up with Alpa, Arca Swiss, Rodenstock, and Schneider. Imagine you have to reset the shutter manually after every exposure.
    Imagine having to do that 92 times on the trot!

Virtual Tour generated by Panotour

No AF at all. Where is the auto bracketing? Or even the exposure modes? It is about time that manufacturers automated camera movements, especially for the price you pay. Or are tech camera manufacturers exempt from the need to innovate beyond the 19th century?
    In the tech camera marketplace, you'll be seeing huge innovation tomorrow.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, Stefan, when do we see some of this great innovation you talk about in one of your own cameras? I hate to call you out on this, but it is easy to criticize...
    I agree with that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    The Sony RX1 is revolutionary by comparison...
    Yeah, like a Minolta Hi-Matic with a sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, like a Minolta Hi-Matic with a sensor.
    I have one of those! (without a sensor)

Post Thanks / Like

I think that its was good to have a H5D 31MP entry level DMF for lower price (7.000Euros), not everyone need 40MP, but like to enter in the Medium Format.

The marketing for the medium format to be competitive need to be about the tecnical format of this cameras and not for "i have more pixels than the 35mm"

But i love the Hasselblad, and its good to see some news, i allready worked with the Phase P45 and its a great back but the camera base system its the same from 645AF from the 80´s....

Thanks, and i still love my H3D II 39MP and every work amazed me with the Raw files everytime!!!!
    Pedro

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well- without arrogance, what my partners and I have already achieved with nearly no money is a worldrecord in digital wideangle, unprecedented until today. Of course this all has one big "IF": it will only be successful IF the Back makers will florish and devellop better and futureproof solutions.

HCam is already working on the B2, but this is only an evolution of the B1.
    But with the B1 I think we already have done more Innovations than some other companies in years.

If I had some more R&D resources and money I am 100 % sure I could do more than this. 1. Step would be our own chip integrated into an EVIL body as described. Connected, computerized, remote and using as many pro Video resources as possible.

But - I don´t have and so I have to go other and slower ways.

in short - if I won´t do it someone else will do it. But it will happen anyway.

regards
    Stefan

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't get it. Personally, I like things that work and evolutionary stuff tends to work with features I actual need and use.

Unknown to many, Hasselblad DID do an unexpected thing back some years ago ... they made a MFD H camera that shot direct DNGs ... great idea when it worked, but it was premature and ill fated. They immediately replaced the camera.

Now we may be premature thinking this is all there is. After all, Hasselbald's new owners did mention they were interested in new markets, and this camera wouldn't fulfill that any more than an H4D would.

Just speculating, but IF Hasselblad were to launch some cutting edge camera system at Photokina, wouldn't it be wise to soft launch the evolutionary H flagship camera to assure current H system users who DO like the camera and find it just dandy? I've got a ton of capital tied up in this system over and above the camera/back. I like the way it works and how reliable it has been through 6 bodies now, each one better than the last.

If Hassey had launched an "unknown" new technology no matter how cool it was, I'd be very slow to adopt it and interrupt the work flow, confidence and familiarity I have established with the H system. I know quite a few H users that count on their camera that feel the same.

I'll wait for the 18th to see what's up, or not. All I feel now is that the H is safe and not being replaced by some geek-o-rama tech fest with me as the beta tester after paying my $$$$$ like everyone else often does.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am a little disappointed with the announcement as well. From the message Hasselblad was sending it seemed like it would be of a different magnitude.
    The medium format industry as a whole needs better improvements to their camera platforms in general. Yes the existing bodies work and each brand has their stregnths and weaknesses, but our wish lists for features and improvements are long , and from all the feedback I get from clients and what I read on the forums it's more than improved eye pieces,better feeling grips and a new paint job. Sure there are some technical improvements listed in the H5D release, but they are just small updates. There is no mention of the external battery for the H4D60 that they announced 2 years ago at Photokina. Are there improvements for the H5D's for tech cameras? Are you able to use any H5 platform or H4x as a spare body? I also do not see any announcements in regards to Phocus or are they moving away from that to a Lightroom workflow?
    Please do not take my reaction to Hasselblads announcement as negative because I focus primarily on Phase One and Mamiya Leaf. I do rely on Hasselbald greatly and have sold many H4x upgrades and support many legacy H1/H2 users because there is a comfort factor with a lot of clients on that platform. So I do have a vested interest in the success of Hasselblad .
    It is yet to be seen what Phase One / Mamiya and Lecia announces in terms of a camera system and also what the Hy6v2 is.

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Marc, Hass is sending a strong message that they are still behind the H camera. Those who bought into their system will want to know that. IF they do launch something new, that's a good bonus.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    I am a little disappointed with the announcement as well. From the message Hasselblad was sending it seemed like it would be of a different magnitude.
    The medium format industry as a whole needs better improvements to their camera platforms in general. Yes the existing bodies work and each brand has their stregnths and weaknesses, but our wish lists for features and improvements are long , and from all the feedback I get from clients and what I read on the forums it's more than improved eye pieces,better feeling grips and a new paint job. Sure there are some technical improvements listed in the H5D release, but they are just small updates. There is no mention of the external battery for the H4D60 that they announced 2 years ago at Photokina. Are there improvements for the H5D's for tech cameras? Are you able to use any H5 platform or H4x as a spare body? I also do not see any announcements in regards to Phocus or are they moving away from that to a Lightroom workflow?
    Please do not take my reaction to Hasselblads announcement as negative because I focus primarily on Phase One and Mamiya Leaf. I do rely on Hasselbald greatly and have sold many H4x upgrades and support many legacy H1/H2 users because there is a comfort factor with a lot of clients on that platform. So I do have a vested interest in the success of Hasselblad .
    It is yet to be seen what Phase One / Mamiya and Lecia announces in terms of a camera system and also what the Hy6v2 is.

Lance
    While it is a bit odd to draw major attention to the cosmetics, how do you know the updates to the TF-II, faster internal communication, AF accuracy are small? What constitutes "small"? IMO, these types of improvements are exactly what is needed as the meg count has increased and the lenses have been improved. Faster, more accurate is the need.

This is a pre-Photokina launch without full specs and every question answered. I believe that won't happen until the official launch at Photokina.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Lost in the shuffle here over the (apparently) underwhelming feature set of the H5D is the announcement of a Hasselblad 24mm HCD lens and intimations of a refresh of other HC lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    Lance
    Disappointed or relieved, Lance?[G]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Watching all of the pre- and post-Photokina gnashing of teeth in the medium format forum is more fun than seeing what is actually released. With such a high ticket price to ride, manufacturers have to protect their installed user base. But should someone outflank you with real improvements and innovations, it could mean the loss of substantial market share. Here's to the innovators who listen to the marketplace, push the category forward and find the resources to actually get their products into the hands of photographers.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Watching all of the pre- and post-Photokina gnashing of teeth in the medium format forum is more fun than seeing what is actually released. With such a high ticket price to ride, manufacturers have to protect their installed user base. But should someone outflank you with real improvements and innovations, it could mean the loss of substantial market share. Here's to the innovators who listen to the marketplace, push the category forward and find the resources to actually get their products into the hands of photographers.
    What will be more interesting is if the rumor of a new mirrorless Hasselblad camera (CMOS?), almost MF sized sensor camera (S2 Size?) is true. Then those happy with the H system are covered, and the geeks get something new to rip into

Makes no difference to me one way or the other. My dealer has provided H5D pricing and it's doable ... maybe even a H5D/200

I will wait until Leica and Hassey have fully presented, then we'll see what may be next ... if anything.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt,

I agree with you on this one.

Greg

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well- without arrogance, what my partners and I have already achieved with nearly no money is a worldrecord in digital wideangle, unprecedented until today. Of course this all has one big "IF": it will only be successful IF the Back makers will florish and devellop better and futureproof solutions.
    Stefan, I have nothing but admiration for anyone that brings a camera out--it is not an easy thing to do. And like you, Hasselblad does not have unlimited money nor resources; sure they have more money, but they also have more to do. I am sure, like you, they have good reasons not to innovate the way other think are obvious.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Here's to the innovators who listen to the marketplace, push the category forward and find the resources to actually get their products into the hands of photographers.
    The more things change, the more they remain the same. By your definition, the S2 would never have been made. Who in the marketplace would want a new DSLR costing $24k? And such a simple DSLR at that. The 35mm camera that Leica made so long ago was not market driven (most here if living at that time would have thought it a piece of garbage not worthy of "real" photography).

And here is the rub, the best cameras have never been the most technically advanced. Nor have they been predicted by the "marketplace."

The "marketplace" is the committee of the mediocre. It is all flash and no substance. It is all about fashion. And the cheaper the fashion, the better.