Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Results 351 to 381 of 381

Thread: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

  1. #351
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by bahr View Post
    Hi mark,

    Always find your posts and knowledge of the system extremely insightful.

    I believe I'm on the most current firmware but I purchased my camera used from a studio that was not getting much rental on it. There is a hasselblad dealer here in Dubai but not sure if my situation affects the upgrade paths. Any thoughts?
    I'd simply check the current firmware installed to see if it the one I mentioned.

    How to check it is explained toward the end of this video on loading new firmware ... where they double check it has been loaded. If you need the update, follow the instructions on this video exactly and be sure to check the camera and finder firmware numbers, and update those also

    Hasselblad firmware update - YouTube

    Do you have the electronic spirit level when you push the i button on the back for a few seconds?

    Marc

  2. #352
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?


  3. #353
    Senior Member Stefan Steib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lindenberg im Allgäu
    Posts
    1,294
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    I was close, but even I did not expect them to go 5x the price of the base Sony Nex 7...........wow - chuzpe !

    Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

  4. #354
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Meh, Who cares.

    This is not a photographer's camera by any stretch of the imagination.

    If it brings in money for Hasselblad, that's fine ... as long as they do not neglect the H system.

    -Marc

  5. #355
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Meh, Who cares.

    This is not a photographer's camera by any stretch of the imagination.

    If it brings in money for Hasselblad, that's fine ... as long as they do not neglect the H system.

    -Marc
    Good assessment.. it will be a good thing if it boosts Hasselblads financial situation and we see better H series products released..

    Rob

  6. #356
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    The Lunar is a non-event IMO. Something in the line of the Ferrari H, where I think the H is even more useful.

    I think no current H user will buy this, solely meant for show-off purposes. Hopefully it will rack them lots of money.

    The hope for a mirrorless body that uses HC lenses was pretty silly actually, the lenses do need that distance from the sensor (unless they did something funky with glass like with the HTS).

    Ah, well.... as long as the clip-on battery is here we could always use our H backs on things like Alpas.........

  7. #357
    Member downstairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    I just saw the H5D page. Here's some amazing copywriting:
    "There is never any time like the present to start building for the future. And if you think 35mm is good enough for this stage of your career, then you’d better hope that your clients are also willing to settle for “good enough”. The best clients, however, are almost never willing to settle for “good enough”. And why should they, when there are photographers out there who can provide the best? And providing the best is what Hasselblad and the new H5D are all about.
    Scared?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #358
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    I would feel better if Hasselblad announced digital XPAN instead of alien NEX7. I wonder do they know where their customers are?

    I hoped that the new Hasselblad management could do better than Shriro, but I think they are no better. I not against Hasselblad by posting in this forum, instead, I am so sad to see once my favorite camera producer vanishing.

    Some people think that my previous criticism is not true, and Hasselblad do provide support for V lens users by providing converter to let user mounting their lens on H camera. However, for the price they charge, I really not expect that I need to operate my camera this way, it is no difference than I mount my V lens in a Canon. Besides, I have no idea why they require to change the magazine mount. I have a CFV39 and I can only mount it on V camera, I need to buy another back and camera if I really need to use auto camera. Are they try to force customer to pay more for something that nearly unnecessary. Hasselblad 200 series is so genius and let us use both V/F lens in their native mode, they have the capability to produce another modern camera function like 200 series. For uncountable number of customers still keep their beloved V lens, they are begging Hasselblad to answer their call. I do not understand why Hasselblad neglecting them that and exploring very hard for new customers.

    If they do not know how to manage their business, they can look at others, see what Leica or Nikon do. ( Lieca do answer R customers' call by providing DMR on M8/M9, and the new Leica M should answer the call of R users)

  9. #359
    Member pedro39photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Meh, Who cares.

    This is not a photographer's camera by any stretch of the imagination.

    If it brings in money for Hasselblad, that's fine ... as long as they do not neglect the H system.

    -Marc
    Very good point Marc ! resumes what i feel.
    I just want the great H system continuous surprise us...in a positive way.
    And please Hasselblad, any plus income money of this "LUNAR Camera" can lower the prices of 250$ for a litium battery or simple charger.

  10. #360
    Workshop Member lance_schad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Phila./NY
    Posts
    1,146
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Has anyone seen the specs on the new Hasselblad 24mm?
    I just had a look at the spec sheet and it says that it still does not cover full format and is designed for digital format only which is 37x49mm. Also only works on H2D,H3D,H4D cameras only.
    See attached clip.
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

  11. #361
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Hassy ist just an epic fail now.

  12. #362
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    Has anyone seen the specs on the new Hasselblad 24mm?
    I just had a look at the spec sheet and it says that it still does not cover full format and is designed for digital format only which is 37x49mm. Also only works on H2D,H3D,H4D cameras only.
    See attached clip.
    The same is true for the HCD 28mm lens. That lens now works on the Hasselblad H4X with third party backs, but with a crop factor if the back is full frame. I would assume the same will be true for the 24mm lens. The HCD 28mm and 35mm-90mm zoom were released before full frame digital backs came out. I would have thought that Hasselblad would stop designing new lenses that are not full frame.

  13. #363
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Now that the dust has settled, it really saddens me to see Hasselblad reach a new low. The Lunar camera(s) really look horrendous! I caught a bunch of crap in this and another thread about how I anticipated Hasselblad didn't have the money, time or knowledge to create a new camera system from scratch, and it looks like I was correct with my statements about how I thought they would have to partner up to bring something 'new' to market. Well, a NEX-7 that has been overstylized with leather, carbon fiber and gaudy looking wood is certainly more than I was anticipating. YUCK. Super YUCK. I guess the Russians and Chinese will enjoy the products, because I don't know of a single person who would buy such ugly and overpriced equipment.

  14. #364
    Bengt Nyman
    Guest

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?


  15. #365
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    362
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Andy,

    What makes you think the Chinese and Russians lack taste?

    Greg

  16. #366
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Greg, it's not about lacking taste but rather what 1 person prefers another person might think is unattractive. I won't defend myself past this post.

  17. #367
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Biggs View Post
    Now that the dust has settled, it really saddens me to see Hasselblad reach a new low. The Lunar camera(s) really look horrendous! I caught a bunch of crap in this and another thread about how I anticipated Hasselblad didn't have the money, time or knowledge to create a new camera system from scratch, and it looks like I was correct with my statements about how I thought they would have to partner up to bring something 'new' to market. Well, a NEX-7 that has been overstylized with leather, carbon fiber and gaudy looking wood is certainly more than I was anticipating. YUCK. Super YUCK. I guess the Russians and Chinese will enjoy the products, because I don't know of a single person who would buy such ugly and overpriced equipment.
    I have no disagreement with most of which you say ... However, unlike many other's way of thinking ... I've been on record that Hasselblad need not have done a new ground-up platform ... just make the one they have better ... not somewhat better like the H5D, a lot better!

    For example:

    For years I've advocated that the H camera become dual shutter so you could use all the lenses including fast lenses like the 100/2.2 in leaf shutter AND focal plane shutter mode ... 1/4000th at f/2.2 ... now I know what that looks like because I use that HC100/2.2 lens, and others, on my dual shutter Leica S2.

    If Hasselblad wants to use "exotic" materials, they could have used them in the H to make it stronger and lighter at the same time.

    If they had brought forth a non-AA CMOS H camera with true live view in at least one offering, even crop frame like the 40 meg back, they would have rocked Photokina rather than being the butte of considerable amusement ... and no small amount of dismay.

    -Marc

  18. #368
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    362
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Andy,

    Don't get me wrong. My response to you was not meant to be an attack. I simply felt that NO one would find the Lunar attractive.

    Greg

  19. #369
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Biggs View Post
    Now that the dust has settled, it really saddens me to see Hasselblad reach a new low. The Lunar camera(s) really look horrendous! I caught a bunch of crap in this and another thread about how I anticipated Hasselblad didn't have the money, time or knowledge to create a new camera system from scratch, and it looks like I was correct with my statements about how I thought they would have to partner up to bring something 'new' to market. Well, a NEX-7 that has been overstylized with leather, carbon fiber and gaudy looking wood is certainly more than I was anticipating. YUCK. Super YUCK. I guess the Russians and Chinese will enjoy the products, because I don't know of a single person who would buy such ugly and overpriced equipment.
    You're just taking that attitude because you haven't seen the Stainless Ferrari version yet.

  20. #370
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    now I know what that looks like because I use that HC100/2.2 lens, and others, on my dual shutter Leica S2.
    Hi Marc,

    How is that working out for you so far, using the H lenses on the S2?

    Thanks, Joris.

  21. #371
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by JorisV View Post
    Hi Marc,

    How is that working out for you so far, using the H lenses on the S2?

    Thanks, Joris.
    Joris,

    So far, so good. Leica has been snail slow getting their central leaf shutter lenses to market and full-filling the promise to up-date focal-plane S lenses to leaf-shutter for earlier S2 buyers. So, I had not been able to use the CS setting on my 2 year old S2 until Leica offered the H to S adapter. Leica also provided Light-Room lens profiles for all Hasselblad H lenses specific to the S2 sensor.

    While it is nice to use HC lenses like the 100/2.2 wide open in brighter lighting in FP mode up to 1/4000th (rather than 1/800th max shutter speed like on the H4D), it is more important that I can shoot the S2 in CS mode with full output strobes or speed-light up to 1/750th shutter rather than 1/125th.

    For example, this recent wedding shoot in quite harsh side/back lighting with a background bathed in direct sun at 2:30PM ... a location the client wanted to use for sentimental reasons despite the lighting conditions. I used the 100/2.2 on the S2 in CS mode and used a shutter of 1/500th to knock down the background while fill-flashing the subjects with the Leica SF-58 speed-light to balance the foreground. The H lenses on the S2 AF quite fast and accurately so getting specific moments is assured. In fact, I used Hasselblad lenses for almost all of the portrait/posed shots at this wedding ... as represented by this album page from that wedding ... the larger image being a quick AF candid as the subjects prepared for the "actual" portrait shot, which I did not use:

    -Marc

  22. #372
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyngai View Post
    I would feel better if Hasselblad announced digital XPAN instead of alien NEX7. I wonder do they know where their customers are?

    I hoped that the new Hasselblad management could do better than Shriro, but I think they are no better. I not against Hasselblad by posting in this forum, instead, I am so sad to see once my favorite camera producer vanishing.

    Some people think that my previous criticism is not true, and Hasselblad do provide support for V lens users by providing converter to let user mounting their lens on H camera. However, for the price they charge, I really not expect that I need to operate my camera this way, it is no difference than I mount my V lens in a Canon. Besides, I have no idea why they require to change the magazine mount. I have a CFV39 and I can only mount it on V camera, I need to buy another back and camera if I really need to use auto camera. Are they try to force customer to pay more for something that nearly unnecessary. Hasselblad 200 series is so genius and let us use both V/F lens in their native mode, they have the capability to produce another modern camera function like 200 series. For uncountable number of customers still keep their beloved V lens, they are begging Hasselblad to answer their call. I do not understand why Hasselblad neglecting them that and exploring very hard for new customers.

    If they do not know how to manage their business, they can look at others, see what Leica or Nikon do. ( Lieca do answer R customers' call by providing DMR on M8/M9, and the new Leica M should answer the call of R users)
    That is because your criticism is NOT exactly true.

    I think what Hasselblad is doing is bad enough without exaggerating things, or making misinformed and misleading statements.

    Using a leaf-shutter V lens on a H camera via the CF adapter is NOT like using them on a Canon. These are mechanical leaf shutter lenses adapted for use on an electronic leaf-shutter H camera. When adapted to Canon, the leaf-shutter is disabled, and you have to use manual stop down metering and shooting. On the H camera the V lenses are leaf shutter able, and do not have to be stopped down to meter or shoot. BIG difference.

    The CFV back was specifically designed to work on the V camera because it uses the existing analog mechanism on the cameras to activate and use the digital back. So, unlike any other back used on the V camera, you do not have to hard-wire the digital back to the V lens sync port. This also allowed use of the CFV on a 200 series camera with full functions intact which you cannot do with any other digital back. The CFV can also be used on any technical camera with a V mount because it has an on-board battery. And in fact, could be used on any MF camera in the same way using the menu sync setting and a sync cord (I used mine on a Mamiya RZ Pro-II).

    While Leica has added R ability to the new M camera which is better than nothing, it is hardly an R camera, and requires stop down metering and shooting plus an add-on EVF rather than the big bright R viewfinder. The 10 meg crop frame DMR was hardly an answer either, and how did that work out? BOOM, gone with no replacement. Not to mention use of a proprietary DMR battery that's now hard to find.

    Just keeping it real

    -Marc

  23. #373
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post
    Andy,

    Don't get me wrong. My response to you was not meant to be an attack. I simply felt that NO one would find the Lunar attractive.

    Greg
    You obviously do not have contact with the buying public, especially the stupidly rich, the newly rich and bling cultural icons

    Weird Pictures of Pure Gold Objects | Weirdomatic

    Most Expensive Stuff – Ridiculously Over-priced Toys (check out the pathetic $20,000 Bentley laptop, and "tasty" $30,000 bikini ... girl not included)

    How about an Aston Martin $34,000 car key?

    Or the photos of Andreas Gursky? For a mere $4,338,500 you could have owned his incredibly boring and mundane "Rhein II" photo ...

    Andreas Gursky | andrzej bikowski | bartie | footwear design

    Then there is a pair of $160,000 Nike shoes, or Stuart Weitzman's Cinderella shoes for only $2,000,000!

    Speaking of perfume on a pig, my all time favorite is a Hohner Gola ... Accordian ... @ $30,000

    One need not point to Russia and China to get the point ... the Hip-Hop culture is crammed with incredibly tasteless junk priced in the stratosphere. Keep in mind that the USA produces a $100,000 Corvette that can be further pimped out, er, customized, to "infinity and beyond".

    I like this root definition as applied to this Lunar debacle:

    "Kitsch appealed to the crass tastes of the newly moneyed Munich bourgeoisie, who allegedly thought they could achieve the status they envied in the traditional class of cultural elites by aping, however clumsily, the most apparent features of their cultural habits".

    The more you research the subject, the more appallingly apparent it is that this piece of "Lunar debris" may actually sell well.



    -Marc

  24. #374
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    362
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Marc,

    As always, I respect your opinion. However, one can point to stupidity in any form. Hasselblad needs to sell these cameras in some sort of volume, and I do not think there are enough tasteless people to make this a "volume" item. Maybe they needed to price the Lunar at a million euros.

    Greg

  25. #375
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post
    Marc,

    As always, I respect your opinion. However, one can point to stupidity in any form. Hasselblad needs to sell these cameras in some sort of volume, and I do not think there are enough tasteless people to make this a "volume" item. Maybe they needed to price the Lunar at a million euros.

    Greg
    I was being facetious Greg.

    However, if they sell a mere 5000 of these @ $6,500 not counting accessories, that generates $32,500,000 in revenue ... and I'd guess the profit margin to be obscene ... but even @ only 30% that would stuff $10 million into their bank account.

    I would think that $10,000,000 in profit is not insignificant to a company the size of Hasselblad.

    However, I just do not think they have the distribution network to sell these to the intended audience ... Hasselblad hasn't been the best marketers in past.

    We'll see

    -Marc

  26. #376
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    One would assume that Hasselblad would have been well aware that serious photographers would not want to buy the Lunar, and they made no attempt to cover up the fact that it was an externally jazzed up Nex-7. It's obvious that it's not intended for their current market - professional photographers.

    So I'm not thinking of getting one, at all. However I'm extremely satisfied with the quality of images I get from my H4D-50. They're actually quite incredible.

    All the best.

    Richard Naismith

  27. #377
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    However, if they sell a mere 5000 of these @ $6,500 not counting accessories, that generates $32,500,000 in revenue ... and I'd guess the profit margin to be obscene ... but even @ only 30% that would stuff $10 million into their bank account.
    Marc, I'm not so sure your calculations would hold up especially considering their major partner in all this is Sony. As the camera is fundamentally a Sony using bog standard Zeiss (not HB branded) glass which is then re-packaged in a very expensive (materials wise) alluminium housing and using other exotic materials (unusual woods, carbon fibre, Dodo feet etc) 30% return seem way off IMO.

    Once Sony has taken its Lions share of the profit, Zeiss for the purchase of their lenses, the exotic endangered animals slayer from some developing country for the materials and they have paid all the R&D people for the special firmware that's being developed for the camera I imaging that 30% is much, much less. If you add to that the cost (as stated by HB and Sony) of developing a bigger range of cameras like this in the future HB need to sell way more than 5000 units to make any money for the future development of the beloved H series.

  28. #378
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Marc, I'm not so sure your calculations would hold up especially considering their major partner in all this is Sony. As the camera is fundamentally a Sony using bog standard Zeiss (not HB branded) glass which is then re-packaged in a very expensive (materials wise) alluminium housing and using other exotic materials (unusual woods, carbon fibre, Dodo feet etc) 30% return seem way off IMO.

    Once Sony has taken its Lions share of the profit, Zeiss for the purchase of their lenses, the exotic endangered animals slayer from some developing country for the materials and they have paid all the R&D people for the special firmware that's being developed for the camera I imaging that 30% is much, much less. If you add to that the cost (as stated by HB and Sony) of developing a bigger range of cameras like this in the future HB need to sell way more than 5000 units to make any money for the future development of the beloved H series.
    Well, you could very well be right. However, it is not unusual for "Luxury" items to have an outrageous mark-up, so 30% isn't much.

    My bet is that Sony looks at this as increased volume if only a little, with no marketing effort or retailer cut. The NEX 7 probably cost them less than $1,000 to make with lens, so even if they charge Hasselblad $2,000 that leaves $4,500.
    I'd bet it wouldn't take more the $1,500 each for Hasselblad to ugly up the camera = $3,000 ... then retail cut and marketing @ $1000 ... leaves $2,000 profit X 5,000 units = $10,000,000 Profit.

    I'd bet it is even more, not less.

    -Marc

  29. #379
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Just adding my 2cents here:
    I think we can speculate the numbers all we want, but as a business to not have significant margin is a very badly thought out business plan. If Sony's part is to deliver most of the parts say bar the outside Luxury materials and to allow Hasselblad to try this as a technical exercise, I will not be surprised. It is very say "Chinese" to go for a high end market, and many millions of dollars later, failure, isn't a problem, Sony has tried it's hand at failure (despite many good products) many times before!

    I'm saying all of this before bringing sensor sizer and looks. Actually having Sony for certain consumers isn't as bad as it sounds! They are obviously going for a market niche! There are parts of this plan that DOES make sense. The sensor size will further their margin for production in both camera and lenses.
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  30. #380
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post
    Andy,

    What makes you think the Chinese and Russians lack taste?

    Greg
    I can comment on it as a Russian/Australian living in Asia. It's not about taste. It's about totally different culture and traditions. What is just a lack of taste for Western people, for Chinese it is something meaningful. They admire different colors and different forms. Same for Russia which was isolated from Western Civilization in the past long ago as well as in the recent past, during USSR time. And don't forget that huge part of Russia lays in the Asia

  31. #381
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Englewood, CO
    Posts
    2,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1248

    Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Biggs View Post
    Now that the dust has settled, it really saddens me to see Hasselblad reach a new low. The Lunar camera(s) really look horrendous! I caught a bunch of crap in this and another thread about how I anticipated Hasselblad didn't have the money, time or knowledge to create a new camera system from scratch, and it looks like I was correct with my statements about how I thought they would have to partner up to bring something 'new' to market. Well, a NEX-7 that has been overstylized with leather, carbon fiber and gaudy looking wood is certainly more than I was anticipating. YUCK. Super YUCK. I guess the Russians and Chinese will enjoy the products, because I don't know of a single person who would buy such ugly and overpriced equipment.
    "I guess the Russians and Chinese will enjoy the products, because I don't know of a single person who would buy such ugly and overpriced equipment."
    I admire your work but DO NOT appreciate the comment like this in GetDPI.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •