The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

BeeWee

Not sure if it'll EVER happen, but it would be awefully cool if we got an Digital XPan with a MF sensor and a set of anamorphic lens that improves resolution in the vertical direction. Traditionally, anamorphic film camera used anamorphic lenses that stretched a wide aspect image vertically on the film in order to make use of the vertical space that would otherwise be unexposed. To transform the image back into a normal image, a corresponding anamorphic projection lens was used.

With some pretty basic image transformation software, you can essentially replace the role of the anamorphic projection lens and do the reverse transformation digitally. That way, you:

1) Use then entire MF sensor without having to source low-volume specialized sensors or wasting the top/bottom sensor area that doesn't get exposed on a normal sensor
2) Makes full use of the allowable area for the sensor
3) Have a true panoramic camera that has better resolution than one with the same sensor and cropping the image into a panorama
4) It'd be something truely unique and one of a kind for photographers

Edit:
5) It wouldn't directly compete with the Leica DRFs
6) It would make all the existing leica DRF users drooling

Last edited:

Iskander

'Maybe the "Black Panther" means an all black camera'

Isn't there a black camera between 00:59 and 01:00 for a short moment?

Michael

Quentin_Bargate

One thing is for sure. In smaller formats there is a rash of new and innovative products, from the Nikon D800/E, a new 46mp Canon rumoured, through Sony NEX, new mirrorless ful frame cameras, lenses, cameras that can take the dog for a walk for all I know.

The medium format digital world is lagging a long way behind while the smaller format world moves forward and may even catch up or at least close in on image quality.

We need Hassy and Phase to up their game - big time. Something new is needed to stimulate the market. It's no good going on with the same old same old. We need innovation. I hope that is what Hasselblad will offer.

fotografz

One thing is for sure. In smaller formats there is a rash of new and innovative products, from the Nikon D800/E, a new 46mp Canon rumoured, through Sony NEX, new mirrorless ful frame cameras, lenses, cameras that can take the dog for a walk for all I know.

The medium format digital world is lagging a long way behind while the smaller format world moves forward and may even catch up or at least close in on image quality.

We need Hassy and Phase to up their game - big time. Something new is needed to stimulate the market. It's no good going on with the same old same old. We need innovation. I hope that is what Hasselblad will offer.
I for one am tempering general expectations as far as MFD is concerned. My hopes fall into two basic categories:

1) That the current trend toward innovation with-in the H system continues. Hasselblad has relentlessly provided me with many very useful features that upgraded the user experience for the work I do ... very specific features dedicated to MF imagery and workflow that gratefully does not include "walking the dog" or anything else I do not need or want ;) So, more of the same is exactly what I hope for.

2) If Hasselblad does make a foray into other market opportunities, that it will be significant and innovative enough to distinguish itself from the "smaller formats". Although I seriously doubt those that favor the FF 35mm solutions will accept anything unless it is so mind blowing as to be obvious ... which I also seriously doubt, but remain hopeful for Hasselblad's sake.

In the end, I believe both Phase/Leaf and Hasselblad know their customers and know where the money is ... and as long as they cater to that crowd they will be just fine. In the process, they may let go of some market applications, while gaining other more specialized ones we here do not think of.

Yet, it is all speculation until the Fat Lady sings at Photokina.

-Marc

Shashin

For all the hype, I really do not see huge improvements in any of the formats. I find most claims overstating the "jumps" or "steps."

BANKER1

"You won’t find a more exciting booth at the fair than Hasselblad’s"

The above quote is from the latest Hasselblad bulletin. Surely this is not just hype that they cannot back up. There is something coming from Hasselblad, and I for one think it will be very exciting. In my opinion, Hasselblad was very far along with a new camera, and that was the incentive for the investment firm that purchased them.

Greg

Quentin_Bargate

As an H4D-50 owner, I am on the same page as you, Marc. Hasselblad make cameras first and its that skill that sets them apart, in my view, from Phase One. I am hopeful that Hassy are up to something big (or small, of you get my drift)...

markymarkrb

With Sony now announcing the RX1 (full frame mirrorless), I don't see how Hasselblad could release a Fuji based, modified APS-C sensor, digital XPAN as rumored. I really hope that they have something awesome to show.

Mark

hcubell

Wow, we are up to 187 posts speculating on what Hasselblad may release at Photokina. There are even a bunch of posts speculating about updates to the Hy6, a camera generally left for dead. Phase One, the supposed class leader? Total silence. Two possibilities. One, they have some major new products but are following a new approach of keeping a tight lid on the news. Second, they have nothing major to bother leaking. Of course, what is "major" is very debatable. At this juncture, if it is "just" a new body from Mamiya, I am not sure there will be much excitement.

jduncan

Just read Pentax has 9 press releases next week. Some obviously 35 stuff but my bet a version 2 of the 645. The S2 and Pentax both need new sensors for anything new announced so it's going to be interesting as clues from Hassy, Pentax and Leica are starting to show up. Honestly I got my eye on Hassy as doing something unique in MF. The rest are maybe just some upgrades and improvements. BTW Nikon and Pentax are releasing on the 13th . I'm sure the rest will follow as Photokinia is very close.

Maybe this is the start of Pentax next step?

Pentax reveals HD Pentax D FA 645 Macro 90mm F2.8 ED AW SR stabilized lens: Digital Photography Review

There is hardly any question of the advantage that having an 35mm system gives to pentax.

Best regards,

James

Ben Rubinstein

I do hope that Phase One have a new body, the DF is pathetic enough but ours just died, mirror mechanism broken after 51,000 frames, all of which on a copy stand. So far that's the body, the AC adaptor and the cable release which have all broken in just 4 months and the shutter on the 80mm Schneider is sounding rather squeaky. They could do with getting their act together.

Auto bracketing For DR and focus stacking AF are a couple of areas where they could make high end digital capture more productive and be an industry changer.
Graham,
I have been waiting for a long time to see these features in a Sony or Nikon camera, I'm sure someday these companies will get it.

________
Manouch
Hello. Actually, you can already focus and HDR stack with the Magic Lantern firmware for Canon cameras, here's a video on how to do the focus stacking: https://vimeo.com/34582618

The HDR bracketing tool automatically analyzes the scene using the camera's metering and shoots the appropriate number of frames (or manually up to 9) in +0.5 to +4 Ev steps and can generate a script for Enfuse.

The amount of things you can do with it are just ridiculous, you should really try it out for yourself, the firmware is a lot more stable than it ever used to be.

MagicLantern.fm - Home

fotografz

I just received some stuff about a H5D.... lets read it. And it is not even a H5D80 ;) A new 24mm and a new macro lens, that is nice!

H5D
Yeah, I just got that also ... and an e-mail from my dealer.

Lots of interesting improvements, pretty slick looking also.

-Marc

Shashin

Shashin:

I think James means that Pentax's experience with 35mm gives them an advantage in the design of MF.

Tom
??? Their medium-format experience with 6x4.5 and 6x7 systems would seem more applicable. The Pentax 645 series film cameras were ground breaking in MF design.

tsjanik

??? Their medium-format experience with 6x4.5 and 6x7 systems would seem more applicable. The Pentax 645 series film cameras were ground breaking in MF design.
That didn't help with the design of software or user interface for the 645D, their experience with DSLRs did. If you haven't tried a K-5, you should. You won't need the manual, it operates just like the 645D.

Tom