The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I am a little disappointed with the announcement as well. From the message Hasselblad was sending it seemed like it would be of a different magnitude.
The medium format industry as a whole needs better improvements to their camera platforms in general. Yes the existing bodies work and each brand has their stregnths and weaknesses, but our wish lists for features and improvements are long , and from all the feedback I get from clients and what I read on the forums it's more than improved eye pieces,better feeling grips and a new paint job. Sure there are some technical improvements listed in the H5D release, but they are just small updates. There is no mention of the external battery for the H4D60 that they announced 2 years ago at Photokina. Are there improvements for the H5D's for tech cameras? Are you able to use any H5 platform or H4x as a spare body? I also do not see any announcements in regards to Phocus or are they moving away from that to a Lightroom workflow?
Please do not take my reaction to Hasselblads announcement as negative because I focus primarily on Phase One and Mamiya Leaf. I do rely on Hasselbald greatly and have sold many H4x upgrades and support many legacy H1/H2 users because there is a comfort factor with a lot of clients on that platform. So I do have a vested interest in the success of Hasselblad .
It is yet to be seen what Phase One / Mamiya and Lecia announces in terms of a camera system and also what the Hy6v2 is.

Lance

pophoto

I agree with Marc, Hass is sending a strong message that they are still behind the H camera. Those who bought into their system will want to know that. IF they do launch something new, that's a good bonus.

fotografz

I am a little disappointed with the announcement as well. From the message Hasselblad was sending it seemed like it would be of a different magnitude.
The medium format industry as a whole needs better improvements to their camera platforms in general. Yes the existing bodies work and each brand has their stregnths and weaknesses, but our wish lists for features and improvements are long , and from all the feedback I get from clients and what I read on the forums it's more than improved eye pieces,better feeling grips and a new paint job. Sure there are some technical improvements listed in the H5D release, but they are just small updates. There is no mention of the external battery for the H4D60 that they announced 2 years ago at Photokina. Are there improvements for the H5D's for tech cameras? Are you able to use any H5 platform or H4x as a spare body? I also do not see any announcements in regards to Phocus or are they moving away from that to a Lightroom workflow?
Please do not take my reaction to Hasselblads announcement as negative because I focus primarily on Phase One and Mamiya Leaf. I do rely on Hasselbald greatly and have sold many H4x upgrades and support many legacy H1/H2 users because there is a comfort factor with a lot of clients on that platform. So I do have a vested interest in the success of Hasselblad .
It is yet to be seen what Phase One / Mamiya and Lecia announces in terms of a camera system and also what the Hy6v2 is.

Lance
While it is a bit odd to draw major attention to the cosmetics, how do you know the updates to the TF-II, faster internal communication, AF accuracy are small? What constitutes "small"? IMO, these types of improvements are exactly what is needed as the meg count has increased and the lenses have been improved. Faster, more accurate is the need.

This is a pre-Photokina launch without full specs and every question answered. I believe that won't happen until the official launch at Photokina.

-Marc

hcubell

Lost in the shuffle here over the (apparently) underwhelming feature set of the H5D is the announcement of a Hasselblad 24mm HCD lens and intimations of a refresh of other HC lenses.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Watching all of the pre- and post-Photokina gnashing of teeth in the medium format forum is more fun than seeing what is actually released. With such a high ticket price to ride, manufacturers have to protect their installed user base. But should someone outflank you with real improvements and innovations, it could mean the loss of substantial market share. Here's to the innovators who listen to the marketplace, push the category forward and find the resources to actually get their products into the hands of photographers.

fotografz

Watching all of the pre- and post-Photokina gnashing of teeth in the medium format forum is more fun than seeing what is actually released. With such a high ticket price to ride, manufacturers have to protect their installed user base. But should someone outflank you with real improvements and innovations, it could mean the loss of substantial market share. Here's to the innovators who listen to the marketplace, push the category forward and find the resources to actually get their products into the hands of photographers.
What will be more interesting is if the rumor of a new mirrorless Hasselblad camera (CMOS?), almost MF sized sensor camera (S2 Size?) is true. Then those happy with the H system are covered, and the geeks get something new to rip into :ROTFL:

Makes no difference to me one way or the other. My dealer has provided H5D pricing and it's doable ... maybe even a H5D/200 :):thumbup:

I will wait until Leica and Hassey have fully presented, then we'll see what may be next ... if anything.

-Marc

Shashin

Well- without arrogance, what my partners and I have already achieved with nearly no money is a worldrecord in digital wideangle, unprecedented until today. Of course this all has one big "IF": it will only be successful IF the Back makers will florish and devellop better and futureproof solutions.
Stefan, I have nothing but admiration for anyone that brings a camera out--it is not an easy thing to do. And like you, Hasselblad does not have unlimited money nor resources; sure they have more money, but they also have more to do. I am sure, like you, they have good reasons not to innovate the way other think are obvious.

Shashin

Here's to the innovators who listen to the marketplace, push the category forward and find the resources to actually get their products into the hands of photographers.
The more things change, the more they remain the same. By your definition, the S2 would never have been made. Who in the marketplace would want a new DSLR costing $24k? And such a simple DSLR at that. The 35mm camera that Leica made so long ago was not market driven (most here if living at that time would have thought it a piece of garbage not worthy of "real" photography).

And here is the rub, the best cameras have never been the most technically advanced. Nor have they been predicted by the "marketplace."

The "marketplace" is the committee of the mediocre. It is all flash and no substance. It is all about fashion. And the cheaper the fashion, the better.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Disappointed or relieved, Lance?[G]
Maybe disappointed was too strong of a word.

I hope the 24mm lens will work well with third party backs via the H1/2/4x platform because that focal length is not available on other MFDSLR platforms.

Phase One is not perfect either. We are still waiting for promised USB3 support for over a year and a half. Maybe that will be their big announcement this Photokina.

Lance

tjv

Interesting that many of the people complaining are not even in the market for a Hasselblad camera, let alone own one. I mean, lets be honest. I

BANKER1

Maybe disappointed was too strong of a word.

I hope the 24mm lens will work well with third party backs via the H1/2/4x platform because that focal length is not available on other MFDSLR platforms.

Phase One is not perfect either. We are still waiting for promised USB3 support for over a year and a half. Maybe that will be their big announcement this Photokina.

Lance
Wow Lance, USB3 support. Whoopee. Talk about underwhelming.

Greg

jduncan

Shashin:

I think James means that Pentax's experience with 35mm gives them an advantage in the design of MF.

Tom
Yes thanks for clarifying. The linked lens is a fine example of the synergies.
They can leverage technology like chip, control software and even glass expertise.

My expectancy is that the cross pollination will start to go both ways.

By example Pentax could build a powerful 16 bit processor for the 645 and then be the first to have a 16bit sensor on 35mm SLR space, then leverage next generation 35mm autofocusing system and add it to the 645 and so on.

Best regards,

James

jduncan

Somewhere earlier, I already mentioned people should not be disappointed when there will only be something like a H5D (80). This is exactly what we got.

The H4D platform already is pretty good, it simply has been improved upon.
I think many people where 'overexpecting'

I wonder if it has the battery solution....?

Well, maybe we get another surprise but I would not be surprised if this is it.
As I say before I was not expecting nothing fundamentally new.
Nevertheless there are two points that concern me:

1. The 80 is not there. Two years. The 60 is the minimun to get fully ahead of the D800 and the next generation high density Canon. Also they continue to be very bad agains the other backs.

2. The pricing structure appears to be bad, as if the D80, the Pentax 645 never happen. And this is using sensors that are not competitive. What are they going to do if the next generation Pentax use the 50 or 60 sensors?

I know resolution is not all, maybe the cameras are great. If they are they above my expectations, but with an bellow par sensor set.

Best regards,

James

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nothing here to make me buy in is my issue. I think that sentiment maybe pretty widespread too. But I'll wait for full announcements as I think this maybe a tease too for generating PR. End of day no matter what if anyone fails to pay attention to customer needs than it will fail. Right now no one announced anything that addresses that in full. Improvements are nice but evolutionary is what MF needs right now. The Nikon/ canon/ Sony are finally in the process of upping there game and the D800 maybe just the tip of that as others will go after that market share and mirroless cams on the other end are starting to take over. It's actually interesting to to see that change in the market.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If anything this Photokinia it's the lower end of the market is where the evolutionary products are coming from. Now we need to hear the rest from the high end side. Leica and Pentax need new sensors and I think we may just see CMOS chips in both of them.