The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

fotografz

The benefits of todays CMOS far outweigh CCD right?

If I'm wrong, can someone educate me.
No one can say Chris ... there is no full frame 645 CMOS camera to compare to.

In theory, some of the new CMOS layering technologies should be able to rival or exceed current CCDs IQ with the added benefits for many such as LV and higher ISO ... with the real IQ measure being at base ISO, since a lot of MFDs are used to acquire maximum IQ and are often applied in studio with lighting at ISO 50.

Leica has indicated that CMOS was the future, so it is highly expected that the M10 and S3 will be CMOS ... but neither being FF 645. I would expect that any ground up new larger than 35mm camera with a bit smaller sensor would go CMOS to capture new converts to their brand, especially those who came up in the 35mm CMOS based camera ranks.

Shooters that like the look and feel from CCD cameras are very suspicious of going CMOS ... I'm one of them, and I'm not alone.

-Marc

Stefan Steib

It is interesting how people who advocate radical changes remain negative about successful radical changes that took place 10 years ago.
You are right - 10 years ago they probably did not have much choice as they also needed camera manufacturing backup which they got from Fuji. But I just summon up a loss of value in their possible asset .
And as can be seen a brand has a value. And people want to pay for this.
A Leica proofs this, Zeiss and Sony proof this and I´m sorry, Fuji does need to proof this. The difference in the price of a XPro1 to a "branded" "Hasselblad/Zeiss" combo would easily be 1-2k $.

Just numbers.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

A

ashdown

The benefits of todays CMOS far outweigh CCD right?

If I'm wrong, can someone educate me.
I don't think anyone has produced a 16 bit CMOS sensor yet which remains a key draw for MFD. It will be interesting if sensors go to 32 bit in the future and if there is any discernible difference.

A

ashdown

As an H owner I am pretty pleased with the H5D. Looks like a well rounded upgrade and I'll be interested in the more specific details. It looks like they have created a solid base for future firmware upgrades for things like liveview and focus-stacking as well as future backs with different capabilities. It also continues to work with the system I have invested a lot of money in.

JorisV

You are right - 10 years ago they probably did not have much choice as they also needed camera manufacturing backup which they got from Fuji. But I just summon up a loss of value in their possible asset .
A Leica proofs this, Zeiss and Sony proof this and I´m sorry, Fuji does need to proof this. The difference in the price of a XPro1 to a "branded" "Hasselblad/Zeiss" combo would easily be 1-2k $.

Just numbers.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Hi Stefan,

If you explain it like that it makes sense. Both Leica and Hasselblad have a brand name that is out there. Carl Zeiss probably does as well. I am not sure how much of that still matters though. I use Fuji lenses on the H and Schneider lenses on the Hy6. Both are equally good if not better than the Carl Zeiss lenses. Not that those are bad. They are definitely very good.

Thanks, Joris.

fotografz

Just numbers.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
The Hasselblad branded Fuji XPan disproved that theory immediately.

Besides, we are talking about the MF category on this thread, and Fuji doesn't have to prove anything.

-Marc

Stefan Steib

As always a reality(quality) and the recognition on the market are 2 different pairs of shoes. The Fuji lenses are definitely good, I am 100% sure Fuji can build ANY grade of quality they ever want to build (it´s only a matter of cost and calculation) .

But their past and also their momentary portfolio (until the release of x-series especially XPro1) was oriented more to the consumer, compact, and superzoom range, definitely not even semipro. Their past time tries to get into semipro (DSLR) have failed (because of their sales organisation, not because of quality!). The Medium and largeformat branch has ceased to exist.

to get back to the core - it can be seen how things can go differently:

Just Posted: Sony Alpha SLT-A99 24MP full-frame camera preview: Digital Photography Review

brake the moving mirror dilemma, use cmos technology to it´s extents and show how things are really to be interpreted in a modern way.

regards
Stefan

Last edited:

Swissblad

So Stefan if I understand you correctly, it would be better for HB to move with Zeiss, rather than Fuji, because then their cameras / lenses could be sold for even more expensive prices? :) ?

Stefan Steib

I am not talking about the existing MF portfolio. I have already explained how I would see/position a Hasselblad EVIL -XPro1 mod product. It may be OK to just name it Hasselblad, lenses and body.
To have a Zeiss badge on it may be even better, but as we all know now, this will not happen (unless a small wonder would take place).

Regards
Stefan

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What keeps peaking my interest is that Zeiss 55mm 1.4 lens that was announced . Not sure where really that is going . Sure it could be a Nikon mount for a 56mpx sensor of the future but it could depending on IC be also used in a ala S2 type body that SOMEONE may announce. I'm keeping a open mind on all of this and a hand on my pocket until we hear all of the announcements coming. Something is up I just got this feeling.

Stefan Steib

I will put this lens on my HCam day one of the Photokina and check (have a leaf Aptus II 8 -thanks to Yair as always !)

regards
Stefan

fotografz

As always a reality(quality) and the recognition on the market are 2 different pairs of shoes. The Fuji lenses are definitely good, I am 100% sure Fuji can build ANY grade of quality they ever want to build (it´s only a matter of cost and calculation) .

But their past and also their momentary portfolio (until the release of x-series especially XPro1) was oriented more to the consumer, compact, and superzoom range, definitely not even semipro. Their past time tries to get into semipro (DSLR) have failed (because of their sales organisation, not because of quality!). The Medium and largeformat branch has ceased to exist.

to get back to the core - it can be seen how things can go differently:

Just Posted: Sony Alpha SLT-A99 24MP full-frame camera preview: Digital Photography Review

brake the moving mirror dilemma, use cmos technology to it´s extents and show how things are really to be interpreted in a modern way.

regards
Stefan
Have you shot anything with the A99 you laud as the second coming?

The EVF is the same resolution as the A77 ... terrible ... especially after looking through the big bright A900 OFV ... the A99 has "creative modes" on it :eek: and more "get in the way junk" than any camera in history ... plus a ridiculous articulated LCD that'll take a degree from MIT to fold back up after using. Plus, they changed the proprietary hot-shoe mount which was supposed to be "revolutionary" to standard ISO which it should have been in the first place ... so any serious Sony shooter has to also buy the new HLV-60 fla$h. Perfect example of revolutionary and innovative technology no one wants.

Fuji's past? You mean like the zillion MF cameras they made including the innovative GX Pro that is still used with DBs? Hasselblad makes the cameras now as the world went digital. Either that, or they would have had to pair up with a back maker like Mamiya/Phase and Hasselblad/Imacon.

-Marc

ausemmao

I don't think anyone has produced a 16 bit CMOS sensor yet which remains a key draw for MFD. It will be interesting if sensors go to 32 bit in the future and if there is any discernible difference.
There isn't a discernible difference between 14 and 16 bit, let alone 14 and 32! (That isn't opinion, that's a property of light - with the read noise added to inherent shot noise, non cooled sensors don't have the DR to actually make use of 16 bits).

It's handy marketing though.

The thing that'll be interesting is what Leica and Pentax do to the colour filter arrays. DSLR CFAs are quite colourblind compared to MFD to improve high ISO performance, which is where a lot of the "CCD gives better colour" comes from. I hope they go with a less colourblind version, as that will give the closest apples to apples comparison we're ever likely to get.

JorisV

Without any doubt the H5D-40 is an excellent camera but a price tag of $18K (without lens)... as if the D800 never happened...

AlexLF

H5D would be great camera if not its price. Sorry, but D800 is 6x times cheaper and not really worse. That is the problem for Hasselblad and Phase.

dick

Re: Hasselblad H5D Announced!

And THIS is it ?

Larger buttons and better JPG´s and a new lens..... ?
Come on this is a joke !

Pffffffffff - this is the hot air from the announcement leaving the
tension zone............

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Stefan ... you are tooo harsh there is a significant improvement - they promise a clip-on battery for view camera use... like they did ¿years? ago for the H4D-60.

dick

I don't know how photographers put up with Alpa, Arca Swiss, Rodenstock, and Schneider. Imagine you have to reset the shutter manually after every exposure.
You can get electronic shutters for pro cameras (Sinar eShutter £1000 + $1,500 per lens) .... and Hasselblad could take my advice and produce their 1/800th sec shutters in standard large format mounts, and get most of the tech-cam market?
It is about time that manufacturers automated camera movements, especially for the price you pay. Or are tech camera manufacturers exempt from the need to innovate beyond the 19th century?
So few photographers understand movements or what they could do for them... but this has been invented, and "he" says he is testing the production model ... are they marketing it yet? (I am not holding my breath any more).