Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

Well I don't like commenting on rumors but if this one happens to be true and there will be a larger than 35mm-FF CMOS sensor then I'm very curious how it performs. I'm generally very suspicious when it comes to CMOS. I've not used one CMOS sensored camera that I like so far. However I have compared some CCD and CMOS 35mm cameras from Canon and Nikon and CMOS did a far better job almost every time. So why shouldn't this be the case with medium format sensors aswell?

Post Thanks / Like

If Hasselblad has anything coming out that is not related to their H system, I suspect Fuji would be the people to design and build it. I suspect Hasselblad doesn't have the money to invest in a new platform from scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

STmicroelectronics is ready to manufacture large photographic CMOS-sensors in their French fab for a "leading brand" according to their business report.
    So either it is a Leica (S3/EVIL), a Hasselblad or Phase One since traditional Japanese companies don't like foreign suppliers. A MF-EVIL would be really exciting! Especially when it comes from Hasselblad which would mean they're finally back in business (they have a new owner as well) with non-Fuji products!

Post Thanks / Like

Nope.

Bengt Nyman

HOW CAN YOU NOT BE !
    The mirror in today's digital SLRs is the Achilles heal of digital photography. The next generation digital cameras will be mirrorless and feature large, high MP sensors and electronic curtain(s) and will do focusing and light metering directly on the sensor. Gone will be inaccurate phase detect focus on proximity image planes, mirror slap and first curtain vibrations. The case of the Canon D800(E) shows clearly that the digital SLR concept is nearing the end of its usefulness for high resolution photography. Top quality SLR photography today requires extremely high camera and lens manufacturing accuracies. Unable to obtain these at a reasonable cost both Nikon and Canon have introduced correction factors in the firmware menu to fine tune the autofocus of individual fixed focal length lenses. The need has already been recognized to add multiple correction factors along the focal length of zoom lenses.
    Recent Nikon D800(E) focus problems also show the need for individual correction factors for the various subject plane focus points offered.
    If you permutate the need to fine tune for individual lens inaccuracies with that for camera body inaccuracies you end up in an impractical fine tuning tangle, defeating the idea of interchangeable lenses.
    The solution is the mirrorless digital camera where focus and light metering is done directly on the image sensor.
    Don't underestimate the industries ability to innovate in the area of image sensors to include ultra fast image sensor autofocus.
    Therefore: JUST DO IT HASSELBLAD.
    P.S. Don't make the mistake to try to be weird or different. Just make the worlds best camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely. Mirrorless medium format using CMOS and direct sensor focusing, with live view - Makes sense to me, if they get it right.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

My hunch isn't a 'new' product from Hasselblad, but rather an opening up of their system after years of having it closed off and the resulting financial difficulties related to the closing of the system. Opening it back up won't cost Hasselblad any R&D money, which I doubt they have much of right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bengt Nyman View Post
    Therefore: JUST DO IT HASSELBLAD.
    P.S. Don't make the mistake to try to be weird or different. Just make the worlds best camera.
    There you go, getting me all excited again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Biggs View Post
    My hunch isn't a 'new' product from Hasselblad, but rather an opening up of their system after years of having it closed off and the resulting financial difficulties related to the closing of the system. Opening it back up won't cost Hasselblad any R&D money, which I doubt they have much of right now.
    I'm sure as can be that you're wrong.

Fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like

Time will tell if they have been working on anything at all.

Post Thanks / Like

...the resulting financial difficulties related to the closing of the system.
    On the contrary, it is generally accepted that this saved the company from going bankrupt...

And +1 for KeithL, it is not going to happen...

Bengt Nyman

My hunch isn't a 'new' product ...
    Hasselblad has new owners and are talking about a new "almost medium format" mirrorless Hassy to be announced September 19, in time for Photokina 2012.
    They are certainly saying the right thing. Let's hope they are doing the right thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen the press release, so I apologize for being out of the loop. Do you have a link?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's one: http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/hass...orless-camera/

But I'm more interested in whether Gura Gear is going to announce something new.

"In 2002 at photokina Hasselblad launched the revolutionary H System that changed and shaped the medium format market of the new millennium. Embraced by professional and amateur photographers around the world, it is still the unsurpassed standard for craftsmanship and ultimate image quality.

In 2012, 10 years later, our commitment to innovation, evolution and expanding to new horizons is as uncompromising as it has always been in the century long history of Hasselblad."

Post Thanks / Like

The product teaser says nothing about a new camera system at all, actually. It just says there will be an announcement. *If* there is a new camera with the Hasselblad name on it, I still think it would be a Fuji product at heart. Hasselblad just doesn't have the expertise to pull a whole new mirror less type product by themselves.

Call me a skeptic, but I have more than a hunch of what *might* be announced.

As far as Gura Gear goes, I can promise you that we haven't been sitting on our hands! :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Andy,

You're a skeptic!

Do you really think the company that purchased them is going to just let them die on the vine. I can guarantee you that are trying to get the most for their investment. Your Fuji comment just drives me nuts. Hasselblad designs cameras and lenses, and Fuji builds them to Hasselblad's specifications. Why don't you research where most medium format lenses are made and get that information back to us, because you would not believe me.

I am not upset with your comments, and I hope you will not be upset with mine. But Hasselblad owners just get a little weary of the same old tired comments about Fuji. Please, let's all be surprised and happy about all the innovations we hope will come out of Photokina.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Greg, I think we are actually talking the same language. I think if we see something it would be something along the lines of what Fuji did for Hasselblad with the X-Pan product line. Something that Fuji might be able to market under their own brand in certain markets or after a period of time.

I actually think we have a better chance right now of seeing Hasselblad opening up their system again, which would be great for the industry. As a new IQ160 owner I would actually like to have a best of breed approach with an IQ back with Hasselblad H camera and lenses. Their relationship with Fuji isn't something I am knocking them for, as I do think they are superb products. I am just recognizing the humongous development costs that go into a new camera system, and I am not convinced that they have had the resources to do it in a short period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

As a new IQ160 owner I would actually like to have a best of breed approach with an IQ back with Hasselblad H camera and lenses.
    Actually, Andy, you don't need to wait till Photokina for that. You can put your IQ 160 on an H2 or an H4X with HC lenses today. Just get a mount change!

Post Thanks / Like

True! But I have a decent investment already in Phase/Mamiya lenses:

28mm
    45mm
    80mm
    75-150mm
    200mm f/2.8 APO
    300mm f/2.8 APO
    2x TC

Post Thanks / Like

True! But I have a decent investment already in Phase/Mamiya lenses:

28mm
    45mm
    80mm
    75-150mm
    200mm f/2.8 APO
    300mm f/2.8 APO
    2x TC
    Well, you are already in up to your eyeballs. Might as well jump off the cliff completely and move to the H platform.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard from a pretty reputable source that there will be a new mirrorless rangefinder style camera announced next month by Hasselblad. Specs include a double wide 35mm FF sensor with 60MP, no anti-alias filter and capable of ISO 25600. Basically a 2x6 format digital X-PAN with great low light capability a 50mm kit lens for $7500 US. Sensor by Sony body by Fuji.

Of course that is all BS but just about the only thing that would revive hasselblad's profitability and get me excited enough to spend $10k on a totally new format!
    Ed Cooley Fine Art Photography

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Bengt Nyman

A new Hasselblad rangefinder camera without accurate image sensor autofocus would be very disappointing. An extreme format that limits the camera to landscape would add to the disappointment.

The fact that they are talking about a competitive ISO range suggests that they are aiming higher than that. I wouldn't mind a reasonably wide format with an innovative viewer and a pinpoint autofocus pan and indicator.
    Last edited by Bengt Nyman; 13th August 2012 at 06:08.

Post Thanks / Like

With the new investor he Hasselblad could have fresh capital to do so although not sure how effective it will, hope it will be similar that of H4X that accepts most H backs - Hasselblad or not.

Pingang

If Hasselblad has anything coming out that is not related to their H system, I suspect Fuji would be the people to design and build it. I suspect Hasselblad doesn't have the money to invest in a new platform from scratch.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, I'm excited.

As they say in the car commercials ... "Sumptins Up!". Basically Hasselblad has gone dark ... very little news, except good deal promotions, price reductions and trade values that conspicuously end on September 18th ... the first day of Photokina.

That, and the invitation wording, coupled with the additional rumors, tends to bode well for something indeed being up.

Seems like a totally integrated camera with EVF and elimination of the mirror box and all that left-over stuff from the film age. The big question will be how well the EVF works (if that's what is used).

Sounds like camera size will only be dictated by the sensor size and the lens coverage for that sensor. Hope there is an adapter to use H lenses on it.

If they do something like this, I wonder what will come of the current H line-up? Maybe eliminate the smaller sensor cameras and keep producing the high meg ones until those shift over to mirrorless.

Not to long to wait now ... just a little over a month and we'll know one way or another.

My "Gear War Chest" is ready! I ain't buying anything until the Fat Lady Sings at Photokina

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It may need at least 40mp to be interesting. The D800/E makes that a necessity.

When a company as distinguished as Hassy launches an entirely new product (assuming the rumours are true) it would be pretty odd not to be interested, excited even, would it not?

I wonder who would make the sensor? Presumably Sony.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Sounds like camera size will only be dictated by the sensor size and the lens coverage for that sensor. Hope there is an adapter to use H lenses on it.
    If it happens I'd also hope for a range of compact, lightweight, dedicated lenses.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post

When a company as distinguished as Hassy launches an entirely new product (assuming the rumours are true) it would be pretty odd not to be interested, excited even, would it not?

I wonder who would make the sensor? Presumably Sony.
    Rumors place it at higher than 40 meg ... like 60 or something. Well see. Even if 40 meg, it is still supposed to be double the size of a 35mm sensor if the rumors are right.

Hasselblad's new owners are European, and specialize in hi-tech venture capital investments. There are semiconductor companies in Europe that some say are the possible source of both upcoming Hasselblad and Leica CMOS sensors ... who knows? Hasselblad does have the digital know-how as a legacy of Imacon, so it should be interesting at the very least.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stop teasing me Marc, you're just going to make my bank manager break out in a cold sweat
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    If it happens I'd also hope for a range of compact, lightweight, dedicated lenses.
    Keith, if the camera comes with a 50mm as mentioned in some rumor mills, I'd suspect your wish will be realized ... I'm just hoping the H lenses can be adapted for a more seamless transition in the meantime. They did that with legacy V lenses with an adapter to make it a bit easier to go H.

Such an adapter would seem to be a lot easier to engineer compared to the kinda clunky CF Adapter since the focus would be at the sensor and there is no mirror ... if it is a shutterless camera I wonder if sync speed with strobes/flash will be all speeds? Hard to get your mind around all the possibilities

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What makes this all so interesting is how such a new camera would interract with the H series, which Hassy would presumably want to remain their top of the line offering. A more compact 50 or 60mp mirrorless camera would surely risk gouging their own H series market. Difficult ballancing act.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

I've a feeling they would want to keep the price as competitive as possible to attract a wide audience which may well mean a lower MP sensor. 40MP?

Bengt Nyman

The market is clearly ready for a competitive 40+MP mirrorless, autofocus camera with decent ISO performance. It does not have to be a sports photographers dream, but it should be a $5000-6000, top IQ, studio and landscape camera body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

....landscape camera body.
    I'd love built-in tilt/shift, but it might be too expensive for a sub-H system price point.
    Quentin Bargate

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What makes this all so interesting is how such a new camera would interract with the H series, which Hassy would presumably want to remain their top of the line offering. A more compact 50 or 60mp mirrorless camera would surely risk gouging their own H series market. Difficult ballancing act.
    In my opinion when you have a niche product with a small percent of the overall potential market share the risk of cannibalizing your product line is small compared to the potential of expanding your share of the market.

The greater consideration in a small company is that you only have a limited amount of personel bandwidth, and there are almost always more ideas and potential products than resources available to pursue them. So the question is if you can only pursue a handful of projects which ones should you pursue?
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The market is clearly ready for a competitive 40+MP mirrorless, autofocus camera with decent ISO performance. It does not have to be a sports photographers dream, but it should be a $5000-6000, top IQ, studio and landscape camera body.
    The market is also ready for a $100 3D camera that weighs an ounce, has an ISO range of 1 to 1 million, and comes with a remote controlled espresso machine.

The question is more pointedly what is R+D ready to offer :-).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Depends.

When Leica announced the S2 I was excited, regardless of my job/position/politics. I love seeing new bodies that are interesting and bring something new to the table.

On the other hand when Leica announced they would be having someone else manufacturer a point and shoot, slap their logo on it, and call it a Leica in a transparent attempt to trade off their brand awareness to artificially inflate the price I couldn't have cared less, even if it was an "entirely new product".

So, show me the product, and then I'll tell you if I'm excited about it.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm with Doug on this show me the money honey otherwise its a yawner. Give me some meat to look at not the fat.

Give me something to go beg my banker about getting some real money or inspire me enough to make a new ski mask. My knitting has slowed way down. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    So, show me the product, and then I'll tell you if I'm excited about it.
    Much like the replacement for the Phase One DF then?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So this is what I want and this is how much I want to pay for it. Naturally, if the camera companies did that, it would be a hit and would be exactly what the market wants. Lets forget the realities for camera manufacturing and its cost--price is so abstract. And all I have to do is tell the manufacturer what they should do with their technology because you can make anything happen with firmware. All you need is someone outside the industry to come up with the brilliant idea--the engineers can just implement it, after all, they just have to add a simple piece of code.

All I need is the perfect camera in order to make the perfect photographs.

This post has been brought to you by the Reality TV Network.

Post Thanks / Like

If you really want to rev up your fantasy life, check out Apple hiring the former head of R&D at Capture One. What may Apple have up its sleeve?
    I thought I would finally be able to take a really good photograph when the new stuff comes out at Photokina 2012. Now I have to wait till Apple makes its move.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes!(to #1)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear , NO. A camera that is reputed to do so many things will fail at mastering all.

EVF? No thanks. Photography is a series of events that begins prior to lifting the camera. Then when lifting camera I frequent look through my optical finder at the scene prior to deciding precise where from to make an image. What I see is through the lens or a premium optical finder, but still I see reality same as the scene, while in my minds eye I envision the image as captured. Why would I want a EVF image come between to compromise what I see and can envision based upon the scene? An EVF assumably is auto everything that show me a processed version and interpretation, and that does not necessarily agree with my vision of the scene. Confusing. Sorry

Current I use Hy6 with a 6x6cm focus screen, very large viewfinder and indeed very precise focus for 80MP. Large and bright viewfinder is lovely. For 617 or 612, if you have ever stared through a Fotoman finder you know they are crap, but the latest of Linhof finders are complete awesome to look through .

This brings us to Xpan... With Fuji also rumored to come out with a premium model over the X-Pro1, perhaps lucky guess it could be a digital Xpan??? They better keep an optical finder as part, for if you shot panoramic you know how important it is to find the right angle and view for a shot and to not have to switch on camera to do so and prior to setting up on tripod to make the shot. Perhaps best would be if they forgot the EVF from X-Pro1, but incorporated the electronic inlaid info. Who knows.

Fuji X-Pro is mirrorless, so Xpan would match..., also the X-Pro and X-Pan names...

Yet, why pay so much for a camera with mere a Sony sensor and from Sony that have no prior experience of larger sensors, and is not to same image quality as Hassy or other MFDB sensors???

There was also rumor of a second Hassy system too was it not??

Lets just wait and see. No more dreaming

Best regards,
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like

Somehow, I wouldn't mind if nothing exciting will happen during photokina. Normally, I'm the first to be excited about new camera and lighting systems. When it comes to these things I turn geeky as hell but somehow I feel like it's all getting a bit old. It seems like there is no real innovation in these things.

And even if there was, would I welcome such developments? In fact, I would love to see some more simple and reduced designs. Less auto-everything, more craft required, more challenge. I'm afraid this is not going to happen...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Bengt Nyman

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    EVF? No thanks. Perhaps best would be if they forgot the EVF from X-Pro1, but incorporated the electronic inlaid info. Best regards, Anders
    Hej Anders.
    Agreed. The thought of trading the OVF for an EVF raises concerns.
    However, the advantages are many. A comfortable way to get a magnified view of a high resolution live view screen could do the job. If I have to choose between the ultimate viewer and the ultimate final digital photo, I go for the photo.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MaxKißler View Post
    Somehow, I wouldn't mind if nothing exciting will happen during photokina. Normally, I'm the first to be excited about new camera and lighting systems. When it comes to these things I turn geeky as hell but somehow I feel like it's all getting a bit old. It seems like there is no real innovation in these things.
    Man after my own heart!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear , NO. A camera that is reputed to do so many things will fail at mastering all.

EVF? No thanks. Photography is a series of events that begins prior to lifting the camera. Then when lifting camera I frequent look through my optical finder at the scene prior to deciding precise where from to make an image. What I see is through the lens or a premium optical finder, but still I see reality same as the scene, while in my minds eye I envision the image as captured. Why would I want a EVF image come between to compromise what I see and can envision based upon the scene? An EVF assumably is auto everything that show me a processed version and interpretation, and that does not necessarily agree with my vision of the scene. Confusing. Sorry

Current I use Hy6 with a 6x6cm focus screen, very large viewfinder and indeed very precise focus for 80MP. Large and bright viewfinder is lovely. For 617 or 612, if you have ever stared through a Fotoman finder you know they are crap, but the latest of Linhof finders are complete awesome to look through .

This brings us to Xpan... With Fuji also rumored to come out with a premium model over the X-Pro1, perhaps lucky guess it could be a digital Xpan??? They better keep an optical finder as part, for if you shot panoramic you know how important it is to find the right angle and view for a shot and to not have to switch on camera to do so and prior to setting up on tripod to make the shot. Perhaps best would be if they forgot the EVF from X-Pro1, but incorporated the electronic inlaid info. Who knows.

Fuji X-Pro is mirrorless, so Xpan would match..., also the X-Pro and X-Pan names...

Yet, why pay so much for a camera with mere a Sony sensor and from Sony that have no prior experience of larger sensors, and is not to same image quality as Hassy or other MFDB sensors???

There was also rumor of a second Hassy system too was it not??

Best regards,
    Anders
    While I am also not convinced of an EVF instead of a OVF in a high end large sensor camera, I must say that I totally disagree with your statement about sensor experience and Sony.

1) it is not a technical miracle for sony to make a 2x FF sensor - say 2x the sensor of the D800E

2) The D800E sensor is so good, it would blow away the IQ of ANY of the existing MFD sensors IMHO.

The reason Sony did not do that so far is mainly that they did not see the market for such a sensor. Given the fact that Nikon produces 30k D800 / D800E a month is merely a multitude of all MFD sensors together produced every year. So would there be the market for such a MFD thing from Hasselblad today? Who knows and who knows if Sony is going to be in the boat.

But the principle IQ thing being possible made by Sony - I have not the slightest doubt
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Best regards,
    Anders
    I might be forced to trample a few grandmothers as I forced my way to the front of the digital X-Pan queue. THAT would get my wallet cracking open (within reason) more than probably anything I've seen recently.

I don't hold out much hope though.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an interesting idea: what if Hasselblad retrofitted their existing H series camera without a mirror, a CMOS chip and some sort of EVF viewfinder that replaced the current prism?
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    While I am also not convinced of an EVF instead of a OVF in a high end large sensor camera, I must say that I totally disagree with your statement about sensor experience and Sony.

1) it is not a technical miracle for sony to make a 2x FF sensor - say 2x the sensor of the D800E

2) The D800E sensor is so good, it would blow away the IQ of ANY of the existing MFD sensors IMHO.

The reason Sony did not do that so far is mainly that they did not see the market for such a sensor. Given the fact that Nikon produces 30k D800 / D800E a month is merely a multitude of all MFD sensors together produced every year. So would there be the market for such a MFD thing from Hasselblad today? Who knows and who knows if Sony is going to be in the boat.

But the principle IQ thing being possible made by Sony - I have not the slightest doubt
    I have doubts. It is more difficult to make larger sensors, big question is reliability. I know of no Sony sensor perform as well as Dalsa, read colors and image quality. There was reason to upgrade my Leaf: reliability, solid product, super support, and their experience; not the least stellar image quality. For that money need be 100% reliability. Who knows, perhaps the Fuji will sell at half price?