The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo RS 1000

Don Libby

I'm back at it again, testing my new Cambo RS with a 35mm lens and P45+. I'm testing several things all of them dealing with multiple imaging stitching. What I'm attempting to see is the IQ of single row multiple panoramas as well as multiple row images. So far I've kept the shifts at 10mm left and right as well as 10mm rise or fall.

Prior to the RS I was using RRS pano gear to accomplish the same end result. I used this kit for single and multiple row/column imaging with what I thought at the time good results. I say "good" as anyone who has attempted to do panoramas knows they are very difficult to do (well). Every time I thought I had the tripod/camera level and had found the nodal point of the lens I had a lot of missing pixels which caused a cropping effect of the finished image. No so with the RS; while I'm not getting a perfectly framed image I am getting one that has less than .05% (estimated) that is thrown away.

Here's a couple examples (I normally use photomerge directly from the bridge that way I can keep the images in 16bit). The first image shows a completed 2 image stitch fresh out of PS4 while the second shows a 2x2 image (8707x7600) fresh out of CS4. The subject matter may not be the best however this is simply a learning experience for me for when I go out and do the "real thing". We're headed to the South Rim then over to Death Valley in mid December then off to Northern CA and the Redwoods and coastal shots in January. Neither trip is a place to still be learning the quarks of a new system.

The last image is a single image that I used to test taking a subject that was close in, in this case this was taken within 8' of the camera.

Here's 3 100% crops

There was little to no post processing involved in any of these images as I wasn't intending to use these as fine art samples nor did I intend to print them, their sole purpose was to guide me in the aspects of multiple image panorama and (at least for me) close subject imaging. I also needed to see if my original thought of selling my Mamiya 28mm lens would hold true.

Here's my conclusions based on this test. I will be able to produce panoramas of equal or better quality than before, and I can sell the 28 without any seller remorse.

Thanks letting me share and please be on the look out for my sale of the 28mm - I won't take it down this time.:LOL:

don

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Don,
Have you ever used a Horseman?
I am curious about the RS in comparison to it.
thanks
-bob

Don Libby

Don,
Have you ever used a Horseman?
I am curious about the RS in comparison to it.
thanks
-bob

Bob

I had thought about a Horseman however it's my understanding that the movements are not geared like the Cambo. The movements on the RS are geared on the back unlike the WDS where the shift is on the back and the rise/fall is on the lens. Otherwise the Horseman has an excellent reputation.

don

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Bob

I had thought about a Horseman however it's my understanding that the movements are not geared like the Cambo. The movements on the RS are geared on the back unlike the WDS where the shift is on the back and the rise/fall is on the lens. Otherwise the Horseman has an excellent reputation.

don
Bob,
The main differences are that the Horseman is using the Rodenstock Digital APO Sironar lenses in the focal lengths of 35,45,55mm and Schneider 24mm. 55mm is the longest lens available.

On the Cambo systems (WDS and RS) you have the options of using Schneider's Apo-Digitar 5.6/24XL, 5.6/35XL, 5.6/47XL, 5.6/72L, 4.5/90 and 5.6/120. Also Rodenstock's Apo-Sironar 4.5/28 HR, 4.0/35 HR, 4.5/55, 4.0/60 HR, 5.6/70 and 5.6/90 are available on a Cambo WDS lenspanel.

Then next is the Horseman uses friction based movements on the rear of the camera, vs geared movements on the Cambo RS. The Cambo WDS has geared movements, where rise/fall is controlled via moving the lens on the front and the shifting is performed on the rear of the camera.

There is also a price difference between the systems, where the RS is more expensive (and newer).

Lance

smhoer

Don,
Have you been using the ground glass back? Is it very useful for grad ND filters or almost too dark for use?

Don Libby

I don’t use a ground glass nor do I use a viewfinder. So far it’s been rather easy (easier that I thought it would) to set the camera in the direction of where I want to photograph and capture the image I’m looking for however remember I’m a landscape photographer and that makes it easier.

I haven’t gotten around to playing with filters yet.

Here’s an open suggestion to Cambo – think about making a sliding back for the WDS and RS for use with a Mamiya mount, I can really see putting it to good use.

don

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Don,

The issue with doing sliding backs on these types of systems is that the tolerances are so tight especially with the ultra-wide angles lenses.

It definitely would be handy though.

The Artec has a sliding back though, but much bulkier and limited support for third party cameras.

Sylvestri makes a sliding back for their Flexicam, but will not work with the 24mm Schneider lens, but will work with 28HR,35 Digitar and 35HR for wide angle work.

I have a client who has one of these, but he is only using it with 45mm,55mm,65mm lenses.

We are working on getting one of these in for some more extensive testing and comparisons to other systems that are on the market.

L

yaya

Silvestri also make a sliding back for their BiCam (no tilts, unless a bellows adapter is used, for long-ish lenses). It comes in all 5 types of mounts.

Arca-Swiss claim that their Rotaslide sliding back can be used on the Rm3d with the Rodenstock 28mm. My Rm3d has a 35mm Digitar and this combo works OK. This also comes in all 5 mounts

So the Artec is likely the only camera that can go really wide and still allow the use of a sliding GG. It comes in AFi/Hy6 mount and it said to have a V-mount in the future.

The word is that Cambo are working on a similar concept. The only issue I have with the RS, after trying it for a day, is that when hand held it it too easy to accidently shift the back up/down with your thumb as the sled doesn't lock.

yair

etrigan63

I saw the Arca Swiss R3m at PhotoPlus with full tilt/shift capacity. Pretty amazing piece of engineering (for it's simplicity). Definitely a contender. Wish I had a P45+ to slap on one.

N

NHScottishGuy

Don,
The Artec has a sliding back though, but much bulkier and limited support for third party cameras.
L
Much bulkier is a little unfair... The Sinar arTec is wider because of the sliding back - it has to slide somewhere right?

Limited support is also unfair.... First models shipped for Hy6 and Afi. Second release (I believe around start of '09) will be offered with the Hassey V mount so works with anything.

Limited support is also unfair.... First models shipped for Hy6 and Afi. Second release (I believe around start of '09) will be offered with the Hassey V mount so works with anything.
What adapters are there that match a Hasselblad V mount to Contax or Mamiya and keep the plane of focus?

N

NHScottishGuy

What adapters are there that match a Hasselblad V mount to Contax or Mamiya and keep the plane of focus?
None that I am aware of. What I mean is - any manufacturer who makes a back for a Hassey V will work on the arTec.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It would be really nice if sinar would make a Mamy 645 back adapter for the arTec.
-bob

N

NHScottishGuy

It would be really nice if sinar would make a Mamy 645 back adapter for the arTec.
-bob
Bob I agree. I would like to see this available for everything.... and we may. (NO PROMISE IMPLIED ;) With the Sinar sliding adapter for the Sinar f3-SL and SInar p3 there are inserts that clip in and will fit Mamiya, Hass V & H, Contax etc. The problem is that the tolerences on the arTec are even greater than on those other cameras and thereore the arTec needs to be made as a dedicated mount.