Images

Re: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter now available

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post

Thanks.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We (Digital Transitions) will be testing this with Leaf Aptus II, Leaf Credo, Phase One IQ, and Phase One P+ with an Apple MacBook Air 13" the moment we receive ours.

We'll also be in close touch with Phase One Denmark who will be doing their own testing.

Ship time is listed as 1-3 days so may be this week, may be next week.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love to know when the usb3 support for the iq180 will be out.
    -bob
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    We (Digital Transitions) will be testing this with Leaf Aptus II, Leaf Credo, Phase One IQ, and Phase One P+ with an Apple MacBook Air 13" the moment we receive ours.

We'll also be in close touch with Phase One Denmark who will be doing their own testing.

Ship time is listed as 1-3 days so may be this week, may be next week.
    Doug,
    Looking forward to hearing the results.
    Best,
    Bob

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine arrived - FW800 card reader attached to 2012 Macbook Air and duly copied files back and forth. I have not run speed tests, but I had a lot of problems with USB3 card readers, so it's nice that old reliable FW800 is available again.

--Matt

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm having issues with USB3 card reader as well. It comes down to diffrent cords it seems. I'm going to try again today, I'm back from vacation and need to solve this. In NY I had to shoot to SD cards after the first day. Also having trouble with a Seagate Flex drive being plugged in to my USB 3 powered hub being seen. Directly it works. So my bet is cord plus a low power issue.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speeds were identical between my MacPro (2009 2x2.26 GHz Quad Xeon) and Air (2012 2GHz Core i7) reading and writing to a 16 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro (don't the names seem a bit silly? Hasselblad Ferrari Edition has nothing on "Extreme Pro").

Blackmagic Design Speed Test:
    Write: 46.2 MB/s
    Read: 57.8 MB/s

I have no idea how that compares to other FW800 or USB3 card readers. Given that my ancient USB2 card reader and old laptop were so slow that it took hours (not an exaggeration - I think it was running USB1 somehow) to download a 16GB card, I'm not complaining.

I don't have any DBs to test. An oversight I intend to remedy
    Best,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone please try to connect a fw800 portable drive to it and see if that works. I tried Bob's makeshift sonner setup with my mom's MBP this week and couldn't get it to connect. The drive wouldn't power up. I did test that setup with my P30+ and it tethered fine.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Josh,

It works fine with my ancient G-Tech FW400 60GB (yes, they used to make them that small) portable bus-powered drive.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Haha
    Cool, Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Just did a quick & dirty test between my 11" Macbook Air (mid-2011) and Leaf Afi7 + Hy6, connected through the Apple TB -> FW adapter, and a FW800 -> FW800 cable. Fired off about 15 shots in a rapid clip, then another 20 into Leaf Capture 11.5.3, all worked brilliantly. Back was powered through the Hy6 grip's battery.

I also tried powering up the back unmounted from the camera, plugged in to the MBA, but no go. Orange light flashed a few times, but no power on.

Post Thanks / Like

>I'm having issues with USB3 card reader as well.

I guess the Lexar? Did you update the firmware of the Mac Book Pro Retina? At least my 3TB Seagate drive works now.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey everyone. As promised we have done an initial round of fairly extensive testing with the Thunderbolt adapter.

Phase One Denmark have received their adapters and will begin formal and extensive engineering testing this week. In addition, absolutely nothing is a substitute for the real world. So I post these results with the advice that if you don't need such an adapter it's still a good idea to wait a few weeks for others with less fear of the cutting edge to find any possible glitches that our initial testing has not revealed.

Also, this is just a summary of what we've learned through testing. A more detailed post will be made to our website with some comparative speed charts etc probably next week.

With those caveats out of the way...

Backs: Mamiya Leaf Credo 80, Phase One IQ140, and Phase One P65+.
    Computer: [MacBook Air 2011 vintage with 4gb of ram and OSX 10.8] vs [MacBookPro 2009 with 8gb of ram, SSD, and OSX 10.8]
    Software: Capture One 6.4.3
    File Formats: Full Resolution and Sensor+ (on the two P1 backs) in both IIQ-S and IIQ-L

Results with factory default settings: all three did not work.
    Results with non-default settings selected: all three worked flawlessly. No errors, communication drops, lockups, or other issues.

The non-default settings required all relate to telling the back not to rely on consistent/sufficient firewire voltage.
    IQ: Menu > Power Management > Battery Charging > Off
    P+: Menu > Configuration > Power Source > Battery
    Credo: Menu > Power Management > Battery Charging > Off

Phase One's US office is reporting that they felt the Thunderbolt-to-Firewire connection was modestly slower than native Firewire. We cannot confirm these results since our testing on speed is not entirely apples-to-apples, though it is two apple computers . However, our [13" Macbook Air with Thunderbolt] outperformed our [15" MacBookPro with FW] in about half our tests. So I suspect that if the Thunderbolt based FW connection is slower, it's a pretty minor difference. A relatively moot point since if a computer has a FW port I would suggest it (simply one less component / attachment point to fail or hassle you). So Thunderbolt (in my mind) will only be used on computers like the Retina MBP which only has Thunderbolt.

All in all very positive for those who are hoping to tether P+, IQ, or Credo backs to a Thunderbolt computer.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug - as always thanks for your careful work and your contribution - you're a real credit to this community.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    Doug - as always thanks for your careful work and your contribution - you're a real credit to this community.
    +1!

Post Thanks / Like

Leaf Aptus II?

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    +1!
    Hey everyone. As promised we have done an initial round of fairly extensive testing with the Thunderbolt adapter.

Phase One Denmark have received their adapters and will begin formal and extensive engineering testing this week. In addition, absolutely nothing is a substitute for the real world. So I post these results with the advice that if you don't need such an adapter it's still a good idea to wait a few weeks for others with less fear of the cutting edge to find any possible glitches that our initial testing has not revealed.

Also, this is just a summary of what we've learned through testing. A more detailed post will be made to our website with some comparative speed charts etc probably next week.

With those caveats out of the way...

Backs: Mamiya Leaf Credo 80, Phase One IQ140, and Phase One P65+.
    Computer: [MacBook Air 2011 vintage with 4gb of ram and OSX 10.8] vs [MacBookPro 2009 with 8gb of ram, SSD, and OSX 10.8]
    Software: Capture One 6.4.3
    File Formats: Full Resolution and Sensor+ (on the two P1 backs) in both IIQ-S and IIQ-L

Results with factory default settings: all three did not work.
    Results with non-default settings selected: all three worked flawlessly. No errors, communication drops, lockups, or other issues.

The non-default settings required all relate to telling the back not to rely on consistent/sufficient firewire voltage.
    IQ: Menu > Power Management > Battery Charging > Off
    P+: Menu > Configuration > Power Source > Battery
    Credo: Menu > Power Management > Battery Charging > Off

Phase One's US office is reporting that they felt the Thunderbolt-to-Firewire connection was modestly slower than native Firewire. We cannot confirm these results since our testing on speed is not entirely apples-to-apples, though it is two apple computers . However, our [13" Macbook Air with Thunderbolt] outperformed our [15" MacBookPro with FW] in about half our tests. So I suspect that if the Thunderbolt based FW connection is slower, it's a pretty minor difference. A relatively moot point since if a computer has a FW port I would suggest it (simply one less component / attachment point to fail or hassle you). So Thunderbolt (in my mind) will only be used on computers like the Retina MBP which only has Thunderbolt.

All in all very positive for those who are hoping to tether P+, IQ, or Credo backs to a Thunderbolt computer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For those who already have the adapter:

if connected with a Firewire repeater, would then the standard power settings work - I mean for intense studio work or Repros it is simpy not good to have to switch batteries all the time.

Looking for a try also on old leaf, older P and P+ backs.

TIA

Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My TB > FW adaptor arrived the other day. Tested it quickly with the following;

1 x Lacie bus powered Rugged Drive
    1 x Lacie mains powered external drive
    1 x Hasselblad H4D-40 tethered to Phocus.

Pleased to report all three mounted and performed as normal. I didn't do any speed tests, suffice to say I was happy at that point and in a rush, but will do some more extensive testing this week.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We have now posted our extensive preliminary review.

The executive summary reads: The results are preliminary but Phase One IQ, P+, and Mamiya Leaf Credo backs work with a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter - but only after changing a power setting in the menu of the digital back. Also, there is some concern about extended rapid shooting, and the adapter is still quite new, so like any change to the core of your workflow, make sure to test extensively before using in production.

Naturally the executive summary is not comprehensive, so if it's important to your workflow I advise you read the entire article: Thunderbolt Adapter Testing of Phase One and Leaf Digital Backs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The executive summary reads: The results are preliminary but Phase One IQ, P+, and Mamiya Leaf Credo backs work with a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter - but only after changing a power setting in the menu of the digital back. Also, there is some concern about extended rapid shooting, and the adapter is still quite new, so like any change to the core of your workflow, make sure to test extensively before using in production.

Naturally the executive summary is not comprehensive, so if it's important to your workflow I advise you read the entire article: Thunderbolt Adapter Testing of Phase One and Leaf Digital Backs.
    Thanks for your work on this Doug. Using my MB Air for T/S field focus will help me make it until an IQ is in my future. Much appreciated,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Leaf Aptus II?

Post Thanks / Like

It does not work for AFi-II 12, even if you set the digital back is powered by the AFi/Hy6 camera body battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xinchenc View Post
    It does not work for AFi-II 12, even if you set the digital back is powered by the AFi/Hy6 camera body battery.
    so it will probably the same for my leaf Aptus II 7, and Aptus 22... oh, thank you apple, i was waiting for this test to buy or not to buy a retina...

by the way, i had some trouble with my Aptus II 7 plug to my macbook pro 13" 2.53 Ghz intel Core 2 Duo (tethered shooting using C1)... i've fixed it using an unibrain powered repeater... but then i can't shoot without main power...

Post Thanks / Like

my appple is the new macbook pro retina.

Now I need a powered firewire repeater to get the AFi-12 work. It seems that when I use AFi on my Linhof on location/in the field, I need a 12v-16v rechargable battery.

Now the lighter Macbook Pro Retina becomes heavier.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW: it works flawlessly for me.

- MacBook Air 13" (2011)
    - Phase One P25+ back (on a Hasselblad H1)
    - Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter (Apple), Moshi FW800 to FW400 adapter (both ordered from the online Apple store).
    - Set tethered power source to "battery", as mentioned above.
    Frits