The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One vs Leaf features

smhoer

Hello all,
Looking to make the MFD leap in December. I recently saw the L28 Mamiya package MAC has put together. If I went the leaf direction I probably would go the Aptus 7 route due to the 1.3 crop factor of the Aptus 6. Has anyone had any experience with both Phase and Leaf backs to list some pros and cons? I have handled the Hassy and Phase backs extensively but not yet a Leaf. Looks like I may have to schedule a day at my nearest dealer to check it out.

Although hot to move back to MFD (have owned 645s, 6x7, 6x9 and 6x17s over the past 30 years) I have cooled a little wondering about all these Nikon MFD rumours since if Nikon jumps so will Canon. The S2 also intrigues me as one of my favorite MF cameras was the Pentax 6x7.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hello all,
Looking to make the MFD leap in December. I recently saw the L28 Mamiya package MAC has put together. If I went the leaf direction I probably would go the Aptus 7 route due to the 1.3 crop factor of the Aptus 6. Has anyone had any experience with both Phase and Leaf backs to list some pros and cons? I have handled the Hassy and Phase backs extensively but not yet a Leaf. Looks like I may have to schedule a day at my nearest dealer to check it out.

Although hot to move back to MFD (have owned 645s, 6x7, 6x9 and 6x17s over the past 30 years) I have cooled a little wondering about all these Nikon MFD rumours since if Nikon jumps so will Canon. The S2 also intrigues me as one of my favorite MF cameras was the Pentax 6x7.
You've got the right idea. Go test them. If you're anywhere near us or would like a vacation in Miami Beach (the low today was 70 deg f) you'd be welcome to spend some time with us. Absolutely nothing will compare to giving a good dealer a half day of your time for each product. That way you'll get all of the basic techniques of each system and a good feel of what is involved in the advanced techniques.

If you do this I'm confident you will choose the Phase One for it's overall workflow.

I have zero inside knowledge about the possibility of Nikon or Canon going MF, but if they did it would be with an all new line of glass, and then what would be the advantages of "upgrading"? Neither Nikon nor Canon has ever had any interest in upgrades because they sell on volume. They would also need a whole new series of value added resellers since the vast majority of Nikon/Canon "dealers" (I put the quotes because most are just box movers) would be complete novices to the world of medium format digital. My overall point is that if/when Nikon/Canon move into MF it will take a while for them to get all the bugs out. Even Leica is partnering with Phase One in order to step into MF.

Granted we're a Canon dealer, so I'd love for them to make a go at it!

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One and Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to agree with Doug anything Nikon or Canon puts together will be a long way off for us to feel really comfortable with it. Even the S2 is next summer and 4 lenses on opening day. So Leica will take some time too to get fully engaged in the market, I am looking forward to it but also realistic on it's time frame to.

smhoer

Thanks Guy and Doug.

Doug, I have been corresponding with Chris Lawry for a while now and CI will be my source if I go the Phase route. I have been talking with him about a Phase One P45 refurb kit (w/o the 80mm lens). I have a fixed amount to spend and we are fairly close. I will not go with the P30 due to the microprisms (not good with T/S lenses). I am interested in the Leaf 7 at 33mp and no microprisms but understand from Chris you carry Mamiya but not Leaf.

yaya

Hello all,

where abouts are you? I can get someone from Leaf America who covers your area to contact you with advice and to arrange a test for you.

Much of it depends on the type of work you'll be looking to do with the back and as said above "it is best if you test" but let me just point out a few key points

1. You have mentioned T/S so assuming that you are talking about a view camera, make sure you test both backs at similar apertures on some LF lenses and look at edge sharpness and chromatic aberration as you go beyond f11.5.
2. Most backs on Large Format especially with Wide Angle lenses will produce colour casts in some shape or form. Compare the amount and also how the workflow software deals with it and how the raw files are being corrected and saved
3. If you need speed then a frame every 1.1 sec should do it for you (a bit slower on the Mamiya as it's got a 0.15 sec lag, still quicker than most other backs).
4. FW800 for tethering (new Macs are losing FW400)
5. Useable Live View on mechanical cameras and some unique features in Leaf Capture 11 (selective Moire removal with the correction embedded in a raw file, loupe tool etc.) are all things that you should be able to see in a demo.
6. Compatibility with Aperture, LR and ACR (the new ACR in CS4 and LR 2.1 already supports the Aptus II and AFi II range)
7. Simplicity when working with large format or mechanical cameras with one sync cable going from lens to back.
8. Things like highlight detail, shadow details, colour accuracy and artefacts you should be able to see for yourself when you test both solutions.

Regarding Nikon/ Canon entering the MF market...I think that at this point it is more of a wishful thinking coming from photographers than from what these companies see in their future, but I've been wrong before...

Good luck and hope you get to choose the back that is the best match for your needs and budget.

Yair