The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo HR40 T/S mount - question

rhsu

Has anyone had a problem with a "wobbly" front element of the lens (ie the section that connects to the copal shutter with this particular lens or with any of the Cambo T/S mount lenses? It sort of rocks 1-2mm. All Cambo fixed non-T/S lenses that I have do not "wobbly".

cheers
Richard

kdphotography

Hi Richard,

No wobbly wiggle on my HR40 t/s, but then again I've only had this lens for a few months or so, but have definitely put it through its paces. Doesn't seem to be something "normal" to me---I think you should run this past your dealer if it's something that needs to be serviced.

ken

rhsu

Thanks Ken,

Usually forums such as this and others are the last line of defence to get some sense over issues or techniques.

As LF user, they should NOT wiggle or wobble, just wasn't certain as I never own a T/S lens before until recent orders where I had to give up on Cambo coming up with a solution for HR90 T/S for the time being. BTW: The HR70 is brilliant!

Of well... I requested it to be returned to Cambo, following EU summer break.

Cambo is usually quite good with these sort of minor issues.

Thanks again...

Richard

kdphotography

Richard,

I'm not even sure what the "warranty" period is on my HR40, as Rodenstock basically doesn't include anything of substance in the box! Good luck with the lens---love mine.

When you mention "solution for HR90 T/S"-----do you mean you actually got a t/s panel on the HR90???? My understanding was only the Schneider 90 could be mounted on a t/s panel. I'm leaning towards the HR90 regardless, but if a t/s option is now available, then better yet....

ken

James Clark

When I bought my Rodie 40 T/S I was told that there had been a few instances of some play in the front element that sounds exactly like what you are describing (that were thought to occur with use/shipping/physical movement of the lens etc.) I was told it would not impact performance but that I could send it back and have it adjusted if it was a problem. My copy has not displayed this problem, though, so I can't speak to the actual effect that the minor movement has either on IQ or on the process to repair it.

rhsu

Richard,

When you mention "solution for HR90 T/S"-----do you mean you actually got a t/s panel on the HR90???? My understanding was only the Schneider 90 could be mounted on a t/s panel. I'm leaning towards the HR90 regardless, but if a t/s option is now available, then better yet....

ken
When T/S first came out and picked up the HR40 (1.5yrs ago), I asked Cambo whether there was sufficient room to mount the HR90 as I had the lens. Cambo said that they could try but cannot guarantee that it would work and that I was the first to had them requested for that lens. After a week, they reply and said that the rear element (?) was too big by 1-2mm (? to that effect). So I kindly thanked them for their usual customer service or listening and actually trying it. So Schneider 90 is the only T/S available and had to wait when Cambo could work out a where to T/S the HR90.

Richard

rhsu

When I bought my Rodie 40 T/S I was told that there had been a few instances of some play in the front element that sounds exactly like what you are describing (that were thought to occur with use/shipping/physical movement of the lens etc.) I was told it would not impact performance but that I could send it back and have it adjusted if it was a problem. My copy has not displayed this problem, though, so I can't speak to the actual effect that the minor movement has either on IQ or on the process to repair it.
Thanks for that information which I was not aware of. I recall clearly that when I first pulled it out of the box, it had a slight-minor wobble/wiggle - but thought nothing more than must be the T/S design of the entire system.

The performance is not impacted that I can confirm for the way I am using the lens at this stage because the wobble/loose front element would always drops downward and when you use only approx 1-2* T/S, I don't think it would show with an IC@90mm as I am not using the full IC to the rim. Moreover, of the two applications, I only used the sweet spot of the lens for certain product shoot. BUT to have something "loose/wiggle/wobble" for a precision piece of equipment, I rather have any "loose nuts" tighten.

Again, thanks for that information.

Richard

Pemihan

My Cambo Rodenstock 40 HR in T/S mount have a very slight play between the focus ring and the T/S mount.

I dont know if it's normal and am considering sending it to Cambo for checkup, but just want to hear if anyone with the same lens have this...?

rhsu

My Cambo Rodenstock 40 HR in T/S mount have a very slight play between the focus ring and the T/S mount.

I dont know if it's normal and am considering sending it to Cambo for checkup, but just want to hear if anyone with the same lens have this...?
No play with mine nor with other HR-cambo lenses with T/S.

Richard

Steve Hendrix

Has anyone had a problem with a "wobbly" front element of the lens (ie the section that connects to the copal shutter with this particular lens or with any of the Cambo T/S mount lenses? It sort of rocks 1-2mm. All Cambo fixed non-T/S lenses that I have do not "wobbly".

cheers
Richard

Hi Richard -

This is an issue not specific to Rodenstock lenses mounted in Cambo T/S LensPanel, but actually any large thread Rodenstock lens in Copal 0 Shutter. This includes, 23mm/28mm/32mm especially. The problem is the large elements stress the small shutter. If you feel it needs an adjustment, you should contact your dealer or the manufacturer (Cambo, Alpa, Arca, etc) for adjustment. I would emphasize that you should handle carefully, and when transporting, include extra support around the thin barrel of the lens.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration