The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Credo Coming in AFi Mount

EH21

Yes, agreed that Leaf is stepping up and supporting the AFi/Hy6 with an additional back option. That all by itself is great! And to repeat the AFi-ii 12 is a fantastic back on an excellent platform.

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

As discussed before the rotating sensor would also be of benefit to Hasselblad V and Tech Cam users.

Would the user base than still be too small?

Joris.

The array of choices and decisions that a manufacturer must grapple with when it comes to new products is quite something. I have a keen appreciation for it. The decisions have to intelligently cover sales and marketing ramifications, cost ramifications, not just on the current product, but factoring in the additional time and resources (and hence, potential time delays) in upcoming products. An assessment of adding or subtracting any particular feature or capability (and what would be involved in implementing it) vs the alternative. The impact on the overall experience and the likely impact on sales, caused by those decisions. All while keeping an eye on their position with respect to the current and future very competitive landscape.

While these companies are almost always quite passionate about their products, and about photography, there is no question that the most important thing for them is to be able to remain in business. Otherwise, they have no products to offer for photography at all. We don't want to acknowledge this truth, but all of their decisions must be consistent with that tenant. There are numerous manufacturers who have not been successful in this regard and it is a shame that they no longer are here to produce what they are able to for the use of so many talented photographers around the world.

I know, so reasonable Steve, so reasonable. But I want my candy!!! :D

Steve Hendrix

DeckardTrinity

+1 to Doug's rundown of the improvements offered in the Credo back vs Afi/Aptus-II. I posted some impressions I had of the two backs over on LL, but to summarize: speed is a dramatic improvement, not just a "nice to have" - it really does change the workflow in a very positive way. Screen - absolutely blows the old technology screen away. Very sharp, crystal clear what is in focus vs what isn't, zooming in to 1:1 is much, much faster, and incredible color depth. My 5D2 is going to be very very jealous when my Afi mount Credo 80 arrives. :-D

Bottom line: give the Credo back a chance at a dealer. I visited with CI / Steve back in May when they had a Mamiya rep in-house with a pre-production Credo in non-Afi mount, and I had half considered ditching the Hy6 altogether just to get in on the system. Now, I get to have my cake _and_ eat it too!

Uaiomex

I congratulate Leaf for supporting the Afi. I don't have an Afi because I can't afford it. I think the Afi/Hy6 is the best camera eve made. With luck in a few years I'll be able to buy this marvel (used).
Eduardo

Rollei6008i

It is great to hear that latest DB can be used on Hy6 ,this news make me want to own Hy6.
I still using 6008i and have many lenses, I want to buy Hy6 but I am afraid of my PQ Zeiss lenses may not work well ( resolution , clarity ,etc...) when using in DB.
Any seniors have some experience and can share with me.

W

Wim van Velzen

I am in your situation, but have been using my Rollei lenses and 6008i with a 22MP Hasselblad back.
All lenses are doing fine, although the older Zeiss (non PQ) 40mm is not really up to it.

Of course, newer backs can offer more resolution and some more lenses might be no the best, but anyhow you wil see a huge improvement from film to digital (you are scanning film now?).

Rollei6008i

Yes, scanning processing is a very boring and time consuming job.
My lenses inc. 40mm SA pq , 50mm F4 pq , 80mm F2.8 pqs , 120 macro F4 pq, 150 F4 pqs, 300mm F4 pq , are these lenses suitable DB photography , another non pq 250mm going to sell it.

Geoff

Can't speak to the Zeiss glass - but the 300 pq (assuming its the Schneider) is a fine lens digitally. Its an incredibly sharp lens.

Some of the Zeiss glass may be showing some of its age - but there is no problem with any of the Schneiders. Friend has the AFI 12, and he has no problems with them either. I've seen shots with a good 60-140 zoom with that back and have promised not to look at the results more than once - they are that good and that tempting.

One comment on the Zeiss is that the distortion in them is a bit more complex and harder to clean up in C1, whereas if there is distortion in the Schneiders, its the simpler barrel distortion (the wides, like the 40 and 50) which cleans up very easily. The 50 was recently used for some architectural drawing copy work and was fine with a bit of tweaking in C1, even side sharpness. If heavily backlit, CA can show up.

Rollei6008i

Can't speak to the Zeiss glass - but the 300 pq (assuming its the Schneider) is a fine lens digitally. Its an incredibly sharp lens.

Some of the Zeiss glass may be showing some of its age - but there is no problem with any of the Schneiders. Friend has the AFI 12, and he has no problems with them either. I've seen shots with a good 60-140 zoom with that back and have promised not to look at the results more than once - they are that good and that tempting.

One comment on the Zeiss is that the distortion in them is a bit more complex and harder to clean up in C1, whereas if there is distortion in the Schneiders, its the simpler barrel distortion (the wides, like the 40 and 50) which cleans up very easily. The 50 was recently used for some architectural drawing copy work and was fine with a bit of tweaking in C1, even side sharpness. If heavily backlit, CA can show up.
Very sorry, I'm new comer, what is C1 & CA ?

Graham Mitchell

Anders_HK

Difficult not to comment; In wake of the DF+ announcement, seems Credo desperate needs Hy6 matching AFi casing, rotating sensor and larger display. Then Phase Leaf will have the perfect medium format system... :clap: