Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leaf Credo Coming in AFi Mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leaf Credo Coming in AFi Mount

Leaf has decided/found a way to continue to offer the latest Leaf digital back technology on the AFi platform. The new Leaf Credo in 40/60/80 megapixel versions will now be available also in AFi mount.

Capture Integration - Leaf Credo News

This is good news in general, and great news for AFi enthusiasts. One caveat - delivery not expected until November/December for AFi mounted Credos.

But orders are being accepted today at Capture Integration.

Steve Hendrix
    Last edited by Steve Hendrix; 6th August 2012 at 13:09.
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leaf Credo Coming in AFi Mount

That is GREAT news Steve, thanks!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree - I have no current interest in one myself (too much phase one glass investment) but I think that this is AWESOME news!
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Will AFi-Credo digital back use the same battery as the one in the AFi camera body? Otherwise, the whole system need two types battery & two types battery chargers.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious, will this have a rotating sensor or not? In any case, good news for Hy6 users!

Post Thanks / Like

AFi backs:
    +++ rotating sensor
    +++ tilt screen
    +++ standard Leaf battery (same as in my Hy6 handle)
    +++ largest display of 6cm x 7cm.
    (all of above a very essence for my Hy6 experience)

AFi credo backs:
    +++ new technology

How much to update an AFi back to AFi Credo, and what of above included from standard AFi backs?

Any improvements in regards to image quality for the 80MP backs?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    AFi backs:
    +++ rotating sensor
    +++ tilt screen
    +++ standard Leaf battery (same as in my Hy6 handle)
    +++ largest display of 6cm x 7cm.
    (all of above a very essence for my Hy6 experience)

AFi credo backs:
    +++ new technology

How much to update an AFi back to AFi Credo, and what of above included from standard AFi backs?

Any improvements in regards to image quality for the 80MP backs?

I have to say I'm not optimistic about the tilt screen/rotating sensor, and downright doubtful of the battery. But I was surprised they are even doing this, so who knows, maybe I'll be surprised again.

Having a tilt screen/rotating Credo would be fantastic.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    I have to say I'm not optimistic about the tilt screen/rotating sensor, and downright doubtful of the battery. But I was surprised they are even doing this, so who knows, maybe I'll be surprised again.

Having a tilt screen/rotating Credo would be fantastic.

Steve Hendrix
    Leaf tends to listen to its users, that and the image quality is why we love them .

Perhaps they will also stretch the Credo display to make it 6cm x 7xm, same size and proportions as the AFi and Aptus displays. That would make super

Plus to continue the Hy6...

Post Thanks / Like

The Leaf AFi-ii is a really a nicely set up back with some special features as Anders outlined that make it really useful. If it were a choice, I'd take the AFi with the updated processing speed of the Credo. I don't really stop to use the zoom feature on the AFi much because it is quite slow.

The Credo will be a big advantage for some shooters since the zoom and review features are much faster plus the screen has more resolution and brightness.

I do use the revolving sensor A LOT, but with the AFi's modular back mounting system its easy to pop off, rotate and snap in the sensor so its not a deal breaker at least for studio type work. If there were some way that Leaf could engineer the Credo to keep the rotating sensor - then it would be a winner for sure!

Being able to use the same type of battery is a plus, but also not a deal breaker. It sure is nice to be able to use one battery in the camera grip for both back and camera though.

Anyhow you slice it, its great Leaf is supporting the AFi/Hy6 camera and now offering two choices of backs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    Leaf tends to listen to its users, that and the image quality is why we love them .

Perhaps they will also stretch the Credo display to make it 6cm x 7xm, same size and proportions as the AFi and Aptus displays. That would make super

Plus to continue the Hy6...

Well Anders - it doesn't hurt to ask, to dream...

But stretching the screen to 6x7 - that I doubt most of all. In fact let's just be realistic - not possible. I'll eat my hat.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

.02$:

- keep the chassis of the AFI 12,
    - update the innards of processing to the Credo.

That way, keep the benefits of the tilt screen and rotating sensor.

Probably just a pipe dream, but it would be lovely to have the faster speed of the Credo.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Geoff,
    Agreed! - maybe as a send in upgrade service? But since the Credo has a physically different screen and GUI, this probably might not be possible.

Maybe Yair will chime in with info on whether the AFi mount Credo will have a rotating back or not?

And I should write that I'm currently quite happy with the AFi-ii 12 as it is. More would just be icing on the cake.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    Yes Geoff,
    Agreed! - maybe as a send in upgrade service? But since the Credo has a physically different screen and GUI, this probably might not be possible.

Maybe Yair will chime in with info on whether the AFi mount Credo will have a rotating back or not?

And I should write that I'm currently quite happy with the AFi-ii 12 as it is. More would just be icing on the cake.
    The back will be a Credo with an AFi mount. It will not be an AFi-III with Credo processing.

It will not have a rotating sensor (you'll need to physically turn the back), it will not have a tilt screen, it will have the Credo screen (not a 6x7 screen). These are all good features. However, they are not coming to the Credo.

The user interface, responsiveness, sustained shooting speed, zoom-to-100% speed/ease, and transfer speed of the Credo is really stunning. The LCD is super crisp, very bright, and surprisingly color accurate (for a mobile-class LCD). Integration with Capture One is excellent. So if you've not used these features of a Credo you don't know how much you miss them. However, if a rotating sensor and tilt screen, are essential for your usage then the AFI-II 10/12 are still the best thing going. If they are simply nice features then the Credo may well knock your socks off as regards in-the-field review.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post

It will not have a rotating sensor (you'll need to physically turn the back), it will not have a tilt screen, it will have the Credo screen (not a 6x7 screen). These are all good features. However, they are not coming to the Credo.
    I would say this AFi-Credo lost the gene of AFi-II 12.

Credo screen is probably amazing, however AFi-II 12 tethered to a Macbook Air with Retina Screen is much better.

Xin

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,
    Thanks for the info. Can you tell us about any possible improvements in file quality? Will the credo have the pixel binning and ISO 1600 - forget what it's called in the IQ series?

And people that never shot the Hy6/AFi may not understand the big deal made about the rotating sensor and articulating screen. The ergonomics of the Hy6/AFi body are different from lots of cameras but once you get it, you don't want anything else. It's fantastic and I think the best I ever used. All adjustments fall at your finger tips and you never need to change your position or take your hand from the grip to do anything or take your eye away from the finder. Even rotating the sensor from landscape to portrait can be done this way. Since you don't have to turn your camera body and arms and head like you do on the DF body for example the shooting is very fluid. This also allows for some great finders 45, lupe, and WLF that you couldn't use well on the DF. The rotating sensor on the AFi-ii backs was a brilliant design by Leaf.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Anders - it doesn't hurt to ask, to dream...

But stretching the screen to 6x7 - that I doubt most of all. In fact let's just be realistic - not possible. I'll eat my hat.

Steve Hendrix
    Steve, may I suggest to keep that hat around until Credo-II comes out???

To be frank, I am fully content with my AFi-II 12 for my Hy6. However, if I were to list in order of preference per my experience what makes the AFi back so suitable for Hy6;
    1. Rotating sensor
    2. Same battery as handle
    3. Tilt display

Clearly the Credo must come with a rotating sensor for Hassy V??? Rotating sensor is in my humble opinion a complete must. To take off to rotate does not only mean dust but takes too much time since Hy6 is used for shooting models etc.

For 2, perhaps DHW can be convinced to make Hy6 run on the new batteries??

And dang, I really enjoy the 6x7cm size of the Leaf AFi-II display. Works great! Am a very happy camper with my AFi-II (and indeed Hy6). That said, any news for Hy6 is really really great. It means perhaps more Hy6 users?

Best regards,
    Anders

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Credo does not have a rotating sensor for the Hassy V. Both on V and for the AFi is is a remove-and-rotate solution.

Anders: have you seen the LCD of a Credo in person?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug,
    Thanks for the info. Can you tell us about any possible improvements in file quality? Will the credo have the pixel binning and ISO 1600 - forget what it's called in the IQ series?

And people that never shot the Hy6/AFi may not understand the big deal made about the rotating sensor and articulating screen. The ergonomics of the Hy6/AFi body are different from lots of cameras but once you get it, you don't want anything else. It's fantastic and I think the best I ever used. All adjustments fall at your finger tips and you never need to change your position or take your hand from the grip to do anything or take your eye away from the finder. Even rotating the sensor from landscape to portrait can be done this way. Since you don't have to turn your camera body and arms and head like you do on the DF body for example the shooting is very fluid. This also allows for some great finders 45, lupe, and WLF that you couldn't use well on the DF. The rotating sensor on the AFi-ii backs was a brilliant design by Leaf.
    With a Credo you would remove the back, rotate it, and put it back on. This is not as suave as an internally rotating sensor, but for many it will be a minor annoyance rather than a serious deficiency.

The other not-intuitive thing is that the viewing angle of the Credo screen is MUCH better than the AFI screen. So while it cannot tilt (which is handy, especially at more extreme angles) it does not need to be directly tilted directly at the photographer to get a good view. This does not fully offset the desire for an articulating screen, but it should take a lot of the sting off.

Pixel binning in the IQ series is called Sensor+. It is not available on the Credo.

The base ISO of the Credo 80mp is ISO35, and has a maximum long exposure of 120 seconds. The base ISO of the Aptus-II 12 is 50 and the maximum long exposure is 32 seconds. So for those shooting over 15-20 seconds improvements can be expected in both noise, tonal smoothness, and color.

Some minor improvements to color and noise due to the difference in auxiliary processing components can be expected. However, in practical testing we've found those to be pretty minor. Frankly the image quality from the AFI/Aptus-II 12 is hard to improve on.

The major difference, and it really is major if you've not personally used a Credo, is the speed with which the user interface lets you hone in on the ideal image. The ability to zoom to 100% and scroll around the image with nearly instant rendering, instead of the considerable lag of the AFI/Aptus-II is a major improvement to practical workflow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug,

I understand. The rotating sensor and tilt LCD, combined with the ergonomics of the AFi is one of the great selling features of the camera. But unfortunately, for now, that may have live on as an AFI-II level beloved feature set. And future interested parties will have to choose between the new advances of the Credo, and being able to use it on their favorite camera (albeit with some important elements altered), or the older generation Aptus-II level digital back, with the far clunkier, slower interface, and (by comparison) crude LCD screen. Each has their merits.

I think that I was surprised Leaf agreed to continue the platform support, but for the volume of the existing user base and prospective potential new user base, all things considered, I can't imagine the expense, resources, and effort to create a true Credo AFi that retained all of the AFi-II features was possible. This is simply reality. And with that said, I feel Leaf stepped up and did the best possible that they could realistically accomplish for their users.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

I think that I was surprised Leaf agreed to continue the platform support, but for the volume of the existing user base and prospective potential new user base, all things considered, I can't imagine the expense, resources, and effort to create a true Credo AFi that retained all of the AFi-II features was possible.
    Steve Hendrix
    Steve,

As discussed before the rotating sensor would also be of benefit to Hasselblad V and Tech Cam users.

Would the user base than still be too small?

Joris.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, agreed that Leaf is stepping up and supporting the AFi/Hy6 with an additional back option. That all by itself is great! And to repeat the AFi-ii 12 is a fantastic back on an excellent platform.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news that the AFi/Hy6 platform is still alive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JorisV View Post
    Steve,

As discussed before the rotating sensor would also be of benefit to Hasselblad V and Tech Cam users.

Would the user base than still be too small?

Joris.

The array of choices and decisions that a manufacturer must grapple with when it comes to new products is quite something. I have a keen appreciation for it. The decisions have to intelligently cover sales and marketing ramifications, cost ramifications, not just on the current product, but factoring in the additional time and resources (and hence, potential time delays) in upcoming products. An assessment of adding or subtracting any particular feature or capability (and what would be involved in implementing it) vs the alternative. The impact on the overall experience and the likely impact on sales, caused by those decisions. All while keeping an eye on their position with respect to the current and future very competitive landscape.

While these companies are almost always quite passionate about their products, and about photography, there is no question that the most important thing for them is to be able to remain in business. Otherwise, they have no products to offer for photography at all. We don't want to acknowledge this truth, but all of their decisions must be consistent with that tenant. There are numerous manufacturers who have not been successful in this regard and it is a shame that they no longer are here to produce what they are able to for the use of so many talented photographers around the world.

I know, so reasonable Steve, so reasonable. But I want my candy!!!

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

+1 to Doug's rundown of the improvements offered in the Credo back vs Afi/Aptus-II. I posted some impressions I had of the two backs over on LL, but to summarize: speed is a dramatic improvement, not just a "nice to have" - it really does change the workflow in a very positive way. Screen - absolutely blows the old technology screen away. Very sharp, crystal clear what is in focus vs what isn't, zooming in to 1:1 is much, much faster, and incredible color depth. My 5D2 is going to be very very jealous when my Afi mount Credo 80 arrives. :-D

Bottom line: give the Credo back a chance at a dealer. I visited with CI / Steve back in May when they had a Mamiya rep in-house with a pre-production Credo in non-Afi mount, and I had half considered ditching the Hy6 altogether just to get in on the system. Now, I get to have my cake _and_ eat it too!

Post Thanks / Like

I congratulate Leaf for supporting the Afi. I don't have an Afi because I can't afford it. I think the Afi/Hy6 is the best camera eve made. With luck in a few years I'll be able to buy this marvel (used).
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like

I know, so reasonable Steve, so reasonable. But I want my candy!!!
    Well, it doesn't hurt to dream, does it?

As already expressed on LL this is fantastic news!

Joris.

Post Thanks / Like

It is great to hear that latest DB can be used on Hy6 ,this news make me want to own Hy6.
    I still using 6008i and have many lenses, I want to buy Hy6 but I am afraid of my PQ Zeiss lenses may not work well ( resolution , clarity ,etc...) when using in DB.
    Any seniors have some experience and can share with me.

Wim van Velzen

I am in your situation, but have been using my Rollei lenses and 6008i with a 22MP Hasselblad back.
    All lenses are doing fine, although the older Zeiss (non PQ) 40mm is not really up to it.

Of course, newer backs can offer more resolution and some more lenses might be no the best, but anyhow you wil see a huge improvement from film to digital (you are scanning film now?).

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, scanning processing is a very boring and time consuming job.
    My lenses inc. 40mm SA pq , 50mm F4 pq , 80mm F2.8 pqs , 120 macro F4 pq, 150 F4 pqs, 300mm F4 pq , are these lenses suitable DB photography , another non pq 250mm going to sell it.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't speak to the Zeiss glass - but the 300 pq (assuming its the Schneider) is a fine lens digitally. Its an incredibly sharp lens.

Some of the Zeiss glass may be showing some of its age - but there is no problem with any of the Schneiders. Friend has the AFI 12, and he has no problems with them either. I've seen shots with a good 60-140 zoom with that back and have promised not to look at the results more than once - they are that good and that tempting.

One comment on the Zeiss is that the distortion in them is a bit more complex and harder to clean up in C1, whereas if there is distortion in the Schneiders, its the simpler barrel distortion (the wides, like the 40 and 50) which cleans up very easily. The 50 was recently used for some architectural drawing copy work and was fine with a bit of tweaking in C1, even side sharpness. If heavily backlit, CA can show up.

Wim van Velzen

With those lenses you should be absolutely fine!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Can't speak to the Zeiss glass - but the 300 pq (assuming its the Schneider) is a fine lens digitally. Its an incredibly sharp lens.

Some of the Zeiss glass may be showing some of its age - but there is no problem with any of the Schneiders. Friend has the AFI 12, and he has no problems with them either. I've seen shots with a good 60-140 zoom with that back and have promised not to look at the results more than once - they are that good and that tempting.

One comment on the Zeiss is that the distortion in them is a bit more complex and harder to clean up in C1, whereas if there is distortion in the Schneiders, its the simpler barrel distortion (the wides, like the 40 and 50) which cleans up very easily. The 50 was recently used for some architectural drawing copy work and was fine with a bit of tweaking in C1, even side sharpness. If heavily backlit, CA can show up.
    Very sorry, I'm new comer, what is C1 & CA ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wim van Velzen View Post
    With those lenses you should be absolutely fine!
    Okay, I am easily now and planning to go with Hy6.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rollei6008i View Post
    Very sorry, I'm new comer, what is C1 & CA ?
    C1 = Phase One Capture One
    CA = chromatic aberration
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I am easily now and planning to go with Hy6.
    You can get it configured so the camera battery is the same as the battery for the back. Convenient.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    C1 = Phase One Capture One
    CA = chromatic aberration
    Oh, I see . Thank you very much.

Post Thanks / Like

It is great to hear that latest DB can be used on Hy6 ,this news make me want to own Hy6.
    I still using 6008i and have many lenses, I want to buy Hy6 but I am afraid of my PQ Zeiss lenses may not work well ( resolution , clarity ,etc...) when using in DB.
    Any seniors have some experience and can share with me.
    This might help: Photography by Graham Mitchell Test run of Rollei lenses, wide open, on 80 megapixel sensor

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know why only the test run photos cannot be view, others are okay.
    The photos are great.

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Difficult not to comment; In wake of the DF+ announcement, seems Credo desperate needs Hy6 matching AFi casing, rotating sensor and larger display. Then Phase Leaf will have the perfect medium format system...

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno Anders... seems to me the grumbling in the DF+ announcement thread means Leaf now has the advantage with the Hy6 + Credo back solution, even with its drawbacks. I really think the only thing stopping the Hy6 from being adopted by the DF folks is lack of marketing and Phase IQ interoperability.

Post Thanks / Like

If I could upgrade from the Phaseone DF to the HY6 2, believe me I would.
    Why Phase one doesn't integrate this beautiful camera into their system is a complete mystery to me.

What does an HY6 2 and the 80mm cost?
    Less than €4200?

Post Thanks / Like

That is about right since seem prices have gone down awaiting the Hy6 Mod 2; PRODUCTS :: Rollei Hy6 Kit set (with AFD 80mm f/2.8) (in HK includes 3 years warranty). DHW is in Braunschweig; Rolleiflex Hy6

Since Leaf Credo apparent share parts with IQ, then... technically there should not be difficulty ...

Post Thanks / Like

Now that does look sweet with the Credo and all those body contours match up beautifully!

Post Thanks / Like

to upgrade the HY6 mod1 in HY6 mod2 it is not possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xinchenc View Post
    to upgrade the HY6 mod1 in HY6 mod2 it is not possible.
    Above is incorrect.

Per my personal teleconvesation with Mr Hartje, CEO of DWH the upgrade of existing Hy6 will be available about two weeks after Photokina. It includes all Mod 2 updates but not change of body panels.

If you are in China perhaps conyact David at Livecoal in Hong Kong for clarification.

Best regards,
    Anders

David A

Hi all
    Can someone clear up a bit of confusion for me. The newly announced Rolleiflex Hy6 Mod 2, What digital back mount will it actually have? Could you order a Credo with a mount to fit it straight of, or will you need to have an adapter plate? But most important will it actually be available to purchase in the UK?

Yours confusingly

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I met with Dov from Mamiya Leaf a few months back he said that the Credo in Hy6/AFi mounts would ship prior to the end of the year.

It will be a dedicated mount not an adapter.

I am not sure if the mount will be rotatable. It definitely will not have a rotating sensor like the AFi had.

We are taking orders for them currently. I would check with your local distributor.

Lance (email)
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    I am not sure if the mount will be rotatable. It definitely will not have a rotating sensor like the AFi had.
    Dov indicated it would be mountable in vertical or horizontal orientation. You will have to remove the back to rotate it. Not as slick as an internally rotating sensor but should only take 2-3 seconds to switch from horizontal to vertical or vice versa. Similar in concept to the Hassy V mount Leaf backs.

Of course the proof is in the pudding. Or the "shipping" in this case :-).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug get your a** to hall 9.1 tomorow and you can shoot the thing (with a black body...)
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog