The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

with all this talk of tripod heads....

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
a very affordable but still very solid option

Can anyone recommend a good head/leg combo that doesn't break the bank? (...)

As you say "that doesn't break the bank" I would mention the Manfrotto 808RC4 3-way Pan/Tilt Head as a very affordable but still very solid option.

I just use it for a DSLR, but it has a load capacity of 17.6 lb (8 kg) - and it can be found at about ~ 125 USD.

It uses a Manfrotto RC4 Quick Release, and it comes with a Manfrotto 410PL Quick Release Plate RC4 supplied with 1/4"-20 and 3/8" threaded screws.

It's not geared, but it doesn't break the bank - and a 3-way head is usually faster to use than a geared head.

The head itself weighs 3 lb (1.370 kg).

click for native size

all pictures captured with Nikon D300 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • Capture NX2

SergeiR

Less you trying to pay - more you pay in the end. Honestly. We all been there. And i would be better off buying two heads and tripods i am using right away, and not waste money on cheapo tripods and heads.

Really Right Stuff - BH55 is a tank. It can hold things up to 8x10 Deardorff with no strain. Second (only b/c its got crappiest bolt holden platform.. head itself is fantastic) - Acratech's head. Its much lighter but holds Linhof Technikardan 4x5 easily (no i am not kidding) - great for long hikes/airport travels.

Buy once. Use for few decades..

(ok i also got third head that was intended for air cushioned tripods by Tiffen.. its a super heavy beast, but i can stand on it and it wont budge.. wont recommend it out of studio, unless you are me, and like to drag heavy stuff around).

dizzyg44

Finally got most of my stuff in....

Got the Manfrotto 405 and fitted it with the Hejnar plate and clamp.

Also got a Sirui M-3204 which should arrive tomorrow.

Bought an Induro AT313, but plan on returning it when the Sirui arrives. Great tripod at a great price but crazy heavy. Right now as should I'm at exactly 15lbs....

Really pleased with the Head and clamp setup, can't wait for the new tripod! Only things outstanding is getting an area style plate for the auto bellows and for the X Pro 1 (hoping a nice alternative to the RRS comes along soon).

Another option that I took, considering my engineering background.
Dutch Hill - Products

Figured if they are sturdy enough for highly calibrated surveying equipment, the are more than suitable for photography gear. Easy to use and adjust, and very sturdy set of legs for around $600